If installing free software system which devices will not work?
If you install a debian free software system cf free software foundation what devices on the computer will
not work?
Thanks.
(08-13-2018, 02:40 PM)heocb Wrote: If you install a debian free software system cf free software foundation what devices on the computer will
not work?
Thanks.

That list can be really REALLY long as there are a lot of REALLY old stuff that probably wouldnt work, nobody cant help you with that answer as it is BUT maybe if we transform it to:
"if i install (insert an exact name and version of your OS of choice preferably with a link to the download (FYI "debian free software system cf free software" is useless too)) will this (insert specific device name with this exact model (and this is the manufacturer webpage of that product)) work on it? out of the box or will i need some/plenty/a lot of tinkering?"
fill the "insert" parts with proper information and you will get proper answers...or at least answers at all...
Quote:"if i install (insert an exact name and version of your OS of choice preferably with a link to the download (FYI "debian free software system cf free software" is useless too)) will this (insert specific device name with this exact model (and this is the manufacturer webpage of that product)) work on it? out of the box or will i need some/plenty/a lot of tinkering?"

Maybe my question regarding devices was not clear and specific enough. At least I think
you misunderstood it.

On the rock64 is a number of devices. To list some. A card reader. An emmc port. An ethernet port.
A vpu. A gpu.
What I want to know is which of the rockchip64's devices are unable to work on free software?

I have been told all devices on the rock64 will run on free software. Except some graphics functions regarding
the vpu and gpu 3d hardware acceleration. Can you verify?

Replicant is free software.
https://www.replicant.us/
On
https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/re...plicant-60
replicant tells you what devices on various phones will not work on
free software.

It is the same thing I want to know about the rock64 computer.
(08-15-2018, 01:51 PM)heocb Wrote:
Quote:"if i install (insert an exact name and version of your OS of choice preferably with a link to the download (FYI "debian free software system cf free software" is useless too)) will this (insert specific device name with this exact model (and this is the manufacturer webpage of that product)) work on it? out of the box or will i need some/plenty/a lot of tinkering?"

Maybe my question regarding devices was not clear and specific enough. At least I think
you misunderstood it.

On the rock64 is a number of devices. To list some. A card reader. An emmc port. An ethernet port.
A vpu. A gpu.
What I want to know is which of the rockchip64's devices are unable to work on free software?

I have been told all devices on the rock64 will run on free software. Except some graphics functions regarding
the vpu and gpu 3d hardware acceleration. Can you verify?

Replicant is free software.
https://www.replicant.us/
On
https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/re...plicant-60
replicant tells you what devices on various phones will not work on
free software.

It is the same thing I want to know about the rock64 computer.

You mean each internal device on the board then, AFAIK everything works, including VPU functions (librelec does very good use of the hardware acceleration for videos as example, even up to 4k@60) with the exeption of 3d hardware acceleration (even there i remember someone working on the armbian forum with some patches to use basic OpenGL but i cant find it atm) BUT AFAIK there is no single OS that have everything working at the same time...to put it in simple words, you need to choose the correct OS for the task...so im back again to my previous post with a slight modification, tell us what INTERNAL device/s do you need to use and on what OS and we can guide you to the best match...
Thank you.

Quote:AFAIK everything works, including VPU functions (librelec does very good use of the hardware acceleration for videos as example, even up to 4k@60) with the exeption of 3d hardware acceleration

That sounds better than what was my impression.  

Quote:there is no single OS that have everything working at the same time

If such system should be made for the rock64, what would it take? Would 3 knowledgeable
programmers be able to get it done in 3 months? Or would it be a much bigger task?

Quote:what INTERNAL device/s do you need to use

No. It is not the purpose of my question.
I am trying to determine which arm mainboard ought to be selected if there are 3 priorities.
Low price.
Performance comparable to a x86 notebook having low specifications.
Running close to only on free software. It must be able to run not
having non free software installed.

I do not know all relevant mainboards. And I am not going to buy the ones I know about.
That is why I ask people. What they suggest and recommend? Due to the inputs
I have had it becomes about selecting among
the rk3288, rk3399 and rk3328.
The rk3399 is significantly more expensive than the rk3328. If the rk3328 is fast
enough there is no reason to select the rk3399 over the rk3328. On
armbian's forum I was told the rk3288 is more difficult to keep cool. Therefore
in a notebook the rk3328 is better. The rk3328 has usb3. The rk3288 does
not. According to a1w.ca the rk3328 is fast enough. I do not have much data
to refer to.
(08-16-2018, 10:09 AM)heocb Wrote: Thank you.

Quote:AFAIK everything works, including VPU functions (librelec does very good use of the hardware acceleration for videos as example, even up to 4k@60) with the exeption of 3d hardware acceleration

That sounds better than what was my impression.  

Quote:there is no single OS that have everything working at the same time

If such system should be made for the rock64, what would it take? Would 3 knowledgeable
programmers be able to get it done in 3 months? Or would it be a much bigger task?

Quote:what INTERNAL device/s do you need to use

No. It is not the purpose of my question.
I am trying to determine which arm mainboard ought to be selected if there are 3 priorities.
Low price.
Performance comparable to a x86 notebook having low specifications.
Running close to only on free software. It must be able to run not
having non free software installed.

I do not know all relevant mainboards. And I am not going to buy the ones I know about.
That is why I ask people. What they suggest and recommend? Due to the inputs
I have had it becomes about selecting among
the rk3288, rk3399 and rk3328.
The rk3399 is significantly more expensive than the rk3328. If the rk3328 is fast
enough there is no reason to select the rk3399 over the rk3328. On
armbian's forum I was told the rk3288 is more difficult to keep cool. Therefore
in a notebook the rk3328 is better. The rk3328 has usb3. The rk3288 does
not. According to a1w.ca the rk3328 is fast enough. I do not have much data
to refer to.

No idea what would take for such a system to be made but as with everything on the free/open software world its not a task of 1-2-3, its a task for every one of us, we all need to collaborate with what we have, as example im not programmer myself so i try to help on the forums with my limited knowledge at the very least, IMO the most advanced and complete examples in the case of multi function desktop OS are the ones from ayufan and the ones from armbian, link to both downloads:
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases
https://www.armbian.com/rock64/
there is also some very advanced work on the rk3399 (rockpro64) in the ayufan list wich im not completelly sure but seems like the people at armbian still lack, but its totally understandable since the rockpro64 it still fresh out of the oven (sort of speak)
So basically yea, if we talk about end user desktop environment the rock64 is a bit more advanced but its missing full 3d support and hardware video acceleration on the mentioned OSes (this is ofc changing all the time, ive seen some progress on the ayufan builds in regard to video acceleration under lxde recently)
I personally own 2 rock64 and i have no complains in regards to my use cases...
rk3328 vs rk3399 AFAIK the 3399 wins by a lot in regards to performance but again its a bit green on OS options and those that are available are in heavy development and with bugs and problems...
Also you keep mentioning a "notebook" but i keep referring to SBCs, i have no idea where are the drivers and development regarding the connection to an external screen and battery, i use one of my devices headless as micro server and the other plugged to my tv by hdmi...
In any case the rk3328 is totally fast enough to work with openoffice and do some web browsing with either armbian or the ayufan build BUT if you plan to watch youtube videos as example on anything higher than 720p the device is going to strugle AFAIK...
In regards to desktop usage if you plan to buy a rock64 i stronly suggest to buy at least the 2gb version, or better if you can afford it a 4gb one...
Side note: the rock64 also fit allmost every raspberry case ive seen so you can get one case very cheap and/or have a variety of options in regards to color/form/size etc while the rockpro64 is bigger...

Last comment: i was seeing your response and i notice that you require "Performance comparable to a x86 notebook having low specifications." and while you can get a browser and office applications and some basic multimedia we cant forget that x86 and ARM are 2 different worlds, as example if you need to add a wifi adapter to the board you need to verify if you can get a chipset that have some linux support first (obviously) but also you need to check that you can get proper drivers for your device...and this also can get you problems in regards to software options, as example i had to dig the web for dockers for my micro server for compatible ones with arm64...the common stuff is there if you search deep enough, for rare stuff you might need to compile yourself...
Quote:keep mentioning a "notebook"

Because I was contemplating a 10 inch display rock64 notebook.
mcerveny told me rock64 has no lvds port. If you only can connect one hdmi display to the computer then
the rock64 is not well suited for making a notebook.

Quote:you need to add a wifi adapter to the board you need to verify if you can get a chipset that have some linux support first (obviously) but also you need to check that you can get proper drivers for your device...and this also can get you problems in regards to software options, as example i had to dig the web for dockers for my micro server for compatible ones with arm64...the common stuff is there if you search deep enough, for rare stuff you might need to compile yourself

You would select hardware accordingly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,237 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 511 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Installing DietPie on Rock64 and set 1280x1024 resolution Dape97 2 3,750 05-26-2020, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Dape97
Sad HDMI doesn't work on rock64 rock7 0 2,752 12-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Last Post: rock7
Bug mpph264enc output doesn't work on bionic rompelstompel 11 16,436 11-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Last Post: gounthar
  How to get a minimal Debian system started? musbur 3 4,116 02-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Last Post: musbur
  USB 3.0 Host Controller crashes when accessing several devices simultaneously h31 10 17,092 11-10-2018, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Trash_Can_Man
  Cannot make DAC Add-on Board work under debian szclsya 0 1,836 09-29-2018, 12:57 AM
Last Post: szclsya
  bootlin creates free vpu software for the rock64? heocb 2 3,451 08-13-2018, 04:00 PM
Last Post: mcerveny
  Rock64: Debian root fs on software RAID1 of eMMC and microSD - is installing it the s jovval 2 3,680 08-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: jovval