Rock64 USB3 bugs
Hi all,

I bought Rock64 and failed to use my hard disks with it (direct connection, no hub). It seems to work fine and then crashes randomly Sad

I did see similar post here : https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=5137&page=3

But I Don't use the same Linux (commands unavailable), OpenMediaVault was quite easy to use for newbie.

I tried several Linux distributions (OpenElec, Debian, OMV,...), huge deception. HD Movies are very slow, USB crashes Linux, my RPI Always did run fine on everything without any expert tuning Confused 

Anyone could help for hard disk crashes :  "Kernel panic - not syncing: hung_task: blocked tasks" and give me advice about a Linux image to choose with maximum compatibility ? I'm not dealing about performance anymore, just would like it to work.

A crying newbie Smile
(08-07-2018, 04:58 AM)NitroDeath Wrote: Hi all,

I bought Rock64 and failed to use my hard disks with it (direct connection, no hub). It seems to work fine and then crashes randomly Sad

I did see similar post here : https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=5137&page=3

But I Don't use the same Linux (commands unavailable), OpenMediaVault was quite easy to use for newbie.

I tried several Linux distributions (OpenElec, Debian, OMV,...), huge deception. HD Movies are very slow, USB crashes Linux, my RPI Always did run fine on everything without any expert tuning Confused 

Anyone could help for hard disk crashes :  "Kernel panic - not syncing: hung_task: blocked tasks" and give me advice about a Linux image to choose with maximum compatibility ? I'm not dealing about performance anymore, just would like it to work.

A crying newbie Smile

Im using OMV right now on a rock64 4gb as a server with an external hdd (wd elements 2tb) and everything works flawlessly, i dont get crazy speeds but 50MB/s stable over 3-5gb files transfers is good enough in my use case (cant ask much more on a consumer grade external HDD), never a crash, (the device have been runing over a month the last time, i only restart it because for non related reasons i need to unplug it from power every now and then)...so...both rock64 and omv CAN run super stable for long periods of time, maybe the problem is your HDD? what version of OMV are you using? have you tried giving your external hdd its own power source? (i have the luck of having an hdd that dont need external power (maybe thats also why i get only 50MB/s?) but ive read that a lot of external HDDs need their own power source to work reliably on the rock64...

As a sidenote, openelec is in heavy development and yea, it maybe have some usb problems recently (posted on their forum thread, i didnt had any usb problem personally when i tested it a few days)

Also i was thinking, you get random crashes only when you use the external hdd? it again smells like your power adapter is not totally stable OR the hdd draws to much power on certain task causing both to crash...

Another thing: for OMV i didnt need any "expert tuning" either to make it work like it is now, out of the box it was giving that speed and stable, no tinkering besides adding the hdd, the share, a few users and the samba share, after that i installed docker and a few dockers and everything is still stable...

Last, the comparison with the rpi is not exactly a fair one, rpi software base has been runing and tuning for several years allready, they even took the extra hardware steps to make most of the hardware backward compatible with the current software (they even make you download the same raspbian image for raspi1 than for the latest raspi3+ IIRC) while the rock64 has been out for about a year and its allready progressing at blazing speed...

Im trying to help, maybe this can help with your problems?
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...1#pid38041
Wink 
(08-12-2018, 11:38 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:

A crying newbie Smile

Im using OMV right now on a rock64 4gb as a server with an external hdd (wd elements 2tb) and everything works flawlessly, i dont get crazy speeds but 50MB/s stable over 3-5gb files transfers is good enough in my use case (cant ask much more on a consumer grade external HDD), never a crash, (the device have been runing over a month the last time, i only restart it because for non related reasons i need to unplug it from power every now and then)...so...both rock64 and omv CAN run super stable for long periods of time, maybe the problem is your HDD? what version of OMV are you using? have you tried giving your external hdd its own power source? (i have the luck of having an hdd that dont need external power (maybe thats also why i get only 50MB/s?) but ive read that a lot of external HDDs need their own power source to work reliably on the rock64...

As a sidenote, openelec is in heavy development and yea, it maybe have some usb problems recently (posted on their forum thread, i didnt had any usb problem personally when i tested it a few days)

Also i was thinking, you get random crashes only when you use the external hdd? it again smells like your power adapter is not totally stable OR the hdd draws to much power on certain task causing both to crash...

Another thing: for OMV i didnt need any "expert tuning" either to make it work like it is now, out of the box it was giving that speed and stable, no tinkering besides adding the hdd, the share, a few users and the samba share, after that i installed docker and a few dockers and everything is still stable...

Last, the comparison with the rpi is not exactly a fair one, rpi software base has been runing and tuning for several years allready, they even took the extra hardware steps to make most of the hardware backward compatible with the current software (they even make you download the same raspbian image for raspi1 than for the latest raspi3+ IIRC) while the rock64 has been out for about a year and its allready progressing at blazing speed...

Hi, thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay, I needed holydays to handle the huge depression state due to my R64 ;o)
My external hard drive has external power. I did try 2 another USB hard drives (without power) and I had the same troubles (kernel crash) on USB3 port. I should try another HD with external power to be 100% sure the problem is not the drive.
I have fiber connection and can't download faster than around 160Mb because locked on USB2.
OMV didn't crash yet when USB2 used. Seems stable, I agree.

ty again for help, I'll wait for more stable R64 Linux image or new RPI to come.
(08-24-2018, 11:52 AM)NitroDeath Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 11:38 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:

A crying newbie Smile

Hi, thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay, I needed holydays to handle the huge depression state due to my R64 ;o)
My external hard drive has external power. I did try 2 another USB hard drives (without power) and I had the same troubles (kernel crash) on USB3 port. I should try another HD with external power to be 100% sure the problem is not the drive.
I have fiber connection and can't download faster than around 160Mb because locked on USB2.
OMV didn't crash yet when USB2 used. Seems stable, I agree.

ty again for help, I'll wait for more stable R64 Linux image or new RPI to come.

Ok and BTW after this post i searched for my lost powered usb3 hub on my drawers and found it, tested it with my rock64 on OMV and im getting about 5~7MB/s extra so power does a little difference even on speed, i didnt install OMV manually but used this ready to use image, maybe its a bit more tuned: 
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmed...Computers/
How did you install your OMV? maybe if you try the one i link it works better...OR if you donwloaded that image or something like that you can try manually installing over armbian as instructed here: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.p...-a-how-to/
I dont know what else to say, my OMV worked literally out of the box, no crashes or personal tweaks, only set up my users and shares and thats all...(and my dockers but thats unrelated)
[quote pid='40276' dateline='1535142999']
Ok and BTW after this post i searched for my lost powered usb3 hub on my drawers and found it, tested it with my rock64 on OMV and im getting about 5~7MB/s extra so power does a little difference even on speed, i didnt install OMV manually but used this ready to use image, maybe its a bit more tuned: 
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmed...Computers/
How did you install your OMV? maybe if you try the one i link it works better...OR if you donwloaded that image or something like that you can try manually installing over armbian as instructed here: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.p...-a-how-to/
I dont know what else to say, my OMV worked literally out of the box, no crashes or personal tweaks, only set up my users and shares and thats all...(and my dockers but thats unrelated)
[/quote]

Hi,

I did find other guys unable to use USB3 like me on other forums lie this one :
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/issues/112

It seems all existing Linux distributions fail on Rock64/USB3 for some of us Sad
Like you I did install OMV using the ready to use image.

Maybe I'll try Armbian, in another post (I have to search again) someone did find a way to have lower performance but fewer crashes.

I've many home work, I may try this week.
Smile ty again

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 50 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,237 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 243 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 511 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 511 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,962 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 186,393 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 509 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 564 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung
  DietPi OS for ROCK64 MichaIng 41 31,721 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: luminosity7