ETA for solution for DMA problem for Arch Linux image & A64+ 2 GB boards?
(04-17-2016, 03:50 PM)faddah Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 07:15 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 11:22 PM)faddah Wrote: just trying to save all of you some time.

That's not what the Pine64 folks want. They want the forums full of redundant threads/questions and that wrong information is spread.

etc., etc., ....

look, i see nothing to be gained by getting into a snark fest about perceived slights and bitterness over the condition of docs, boards, the Pine64 team, or this fledgling community.

Look, this is month 5 of being here (using a 2nd Account in the meantime). At least the last 2 months it's pretty obvious what the real problem here is: Lack of documentation as you already said. Anyone reading through the forums and not only focussing on his own threads realized that the same questions are asked again and again, that these questions are most often answered partially with wrong information and that's only due to the lack of a quickstart guide where correct information should be maintained.

This is something the Pine64 folks have to provide. And that's the reason I tried to poke them now (after submitting amounts of documentation to this forum that simply got lost since they aren't willing to spend ressources on maintaining documentation).
Wink 
(04-18-2016, 12:55 AM)tkaiser Wrote: Look, this is month 5 of being here (using a 2nd Account in the meantime). At least the last 2 months it's pretty obvious what the real problem here is: Lack of documentation as you already said. (etc. ...)

right, @tkaiser. i hear your frustration. but the same is true of all low-cost hobby-board computing, as i've pointed out. go look at the docs available for beagle board — i dare ya, nay, i DOUBLE DAWG darez ya, to try and flash a beagle board and re-load the default factory OS software on a first pass through the info on the docs available. it ain't easy, and without further help or searching, you're more than likely to wind up with a brick with a cute flashing led light on it.

we all paid $15 - $36 (or a bit more, depending on accessories) (plus shipping) to get these first run boards from the kickstarter campaign. i am not saying you should not get what was promised when you paid for it, but for $36 US, i do not expect a tremendous amount of handholding like i'm at the apple store genius bar + a latte with my favorite torani syrup (creme de menthe) in it and an almond biscotti. i expect there will be many, many, many google searches, hunting and pecking around, and banging my head against the wiki and forums here. in that process, i will learn some things about different flavors of linux OS and their utilities, i'll learn a bit about EE and pin-outs and a bit about soldering, and then share it back here and/or on the wiki. the Pine64 folk will, eventually, probably take these posts and docs, review them, edit them with what they know to be the more technically accurate info, and add to the wiki and/or a knowledge base. this is all part of why you get a low-cost hobby board and how you begin to learn about getting into the guts of a machine.

this is why i created a doc like this in the forum for anyone else wanting to compile node.js from source on arch linux, so others would not hit the same walls i did.

so, you're right — no start up guide (at least the way you want to see it). so instead of grousing here and continuing the gadfly approach, which, as you say, after five months, really hasn't gotten any response; how about, instead, you go about creating one (or several - start up guide if you're on windows, on mac os x, on a flavor of linux), or collaborate with others here to start one? then present it as a *.PDF to review here in the forums for review?

that's what others have done for arduino, for raspberry pi, beagle, etc. — i don't have any expectation it will be any different here.

in the meantime, i would really appreciate my thread not being hijacked and getting an answer from someone on how we go about requesting edits to the pine64 wiki, or how we could edit it ourselves. anyone with that info, please chime in. thanx.

best,

—  faddah
    portland, oregon, u.s.a.

p.s. — ray hightower has been kind enough to create a blog post on getting started on Pine64 with mac os x — maybe you could use this as a template for any start-up guide you write?
(04-18-2016, 12:55 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 03:50 PM)faddah Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 07:15 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-16-2016, 11:22 PM)faddah Wrote: just trying to save all of you some time.

That's not what the Pine64 folks want. They want the forums full of redundant threads/questions and that wrong information is spread.

etc., etc., ....

look, i see nothing to be gained by getting into a snark fest about perceived slights and bitterness over the condition of docs, boards, the Pine64 team, or this fledgling community.

Look, this is month 5 of being here (using a 2nd Account in the meantime). At least the last 2 months it's pretty obvious what the real problem here is: Lack of documentation as you already said. Anyone reading through the forums and not only focussing on his own threads realized that the same questions are asked again and again, that these questions are most often answered partially with wrong information and that's only due to the lack of a quickstart guide where correct information should be maintained.

This is something the Pine64 folks have to provide. And that's the reason I tried to poke them now (after submitting amounts of documentation to this forum that simply got lost since they aren't willing to spend ressources on maintaining documentation).

Your poking works and we focus on this week to tidy up. However, I am exhausted.
(04-18-2016, 10:31 AM)tllim Wrote:
Your poking works and we focus on this week to tidy up. However, I am exhausted.

i, for one, appreciate all you and the pine64 team has had to do with the massive influx of kickstarter & regular orders. happy problems, to be sure, but i understand the logistics somewhat and appreciate all the hard work.

when you feel more rested, care to tell me how to get the wiki updated so we can edit the erroneous info out?

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
(04-18-2016, 01:06 PM)faddah Wrote:

i, for one, appreciate all you and the pine64 team has had to do with the massive influx of kickstarter & regular orders. happy problems, to be sure, but i understand the logistics somewhat and appreciate all the hard work.

when you feel more rested, care to tell me how to get the wiki updated so we can edit the erroneous info out?

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
If you interest to participate, I have happy to open up wiki site for edit.
(04-19-2016, 05:20 AM)tllim Wrote:
(04-18-2016, 01:06 PM)faddah Wrote:

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
If you interest to participate, I have happy to open up wiki site for edit.

@tllim - this sounds great! i don't know if i'm the one to make the edit (@longsleep or someone else on this thread who answered that the fix had all ready been made might be better), but i'll give it a shot. please e-mail me through the board, @tllim, to tell me how we can get do this. i appreciate your responsiveness!

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
I know you think the wiki isn't clear about the 2gb boards and ethernet, but it looks pretty clear to me:

"Ubuntu Linux Image base on Longsleep 20160403-1 image, courtesy of Michael Larson"

is the only linux image that doesn't say:

"This version of image is not suitable for PineA64 with 2GB Memory due to a bug involving DMA data transfer with the gigabit ethernet"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  linux-headers and quartz64-post-install package conflicts Berzerkleyfan 2 547 12-01-2023, 05:17 AM
Last Post: Berzerkleyfan
  Irradium (based on crux linux) riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 533 11-03-2023, 03:10 PM
Last Post: mara
  New RockPro64 Power Up Problem enorbet2 7 4,784 10-28-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: dkebler
  Star64: 4GB on 8GB boards Der Geist der Maschine 4 1,838 07-27-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  Soquartz - what image for Model A baseboard? kbanfield 0 1,384 10-14-2022, 10:38 AM
Last Post: kbanfield
  Wireless printer epson wf2750 solution clessard 0 1,433 07-09-2022, 05:12 AM
Last Post: clessard
  dependency problem cerno 4 4,784 05-07-2021, 08:18 AM
Last Post: cerno
  PINE64 Installer - Simple Way to Image Your MicroSD pineadmin 101 149,172 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Need help in selecting boards ripcord 1 3,320 03-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Creating bootable Debian backup image Drago 3 5,885 12-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Last Post: evilbunny