I cannot see the administrator panel in Control Centre
I am running MATE Desktop Environment 1.16.2 on Rock64. The device was given to me to set up a monitoring display but I am not sure if I have an admin account. I have logged in with the creds rock64 [username] and rock64 [password].

When I go to the Control Centre I only see Hardware, Internet and Network, Look and Feel and Personal under Groups. I saw in screenshots there should be an Administrator panel available. I can only assume the account I am logged in with has limited access.

I have tried booting into GRUB by holding in ESC and then again SHIFT on start up as read on a few posts. Later I read I need to hold down shift on a grey splashscreen which I don't see so I tried the login screen but that didn't work. I've tried various root combinations suggested such as debian debian but none work.

I am not really accustomed to Linux so this is all new to me and this is the first time I've even seen a Pine. 

My goal is to change the power settings so that it never goes into sleep mode but now I also want to get the root account so I at least know what it is.  

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Huh Confused
(07-06-2018, 02:48 AM)alexyia Wrote: I have tried booting into GRUB by holding in ESC and then again SHIFT on start up as read on a few posts. Later I read I need to hold down shift on a grey splashscreen which I don't see so I tried the login screen but that didn't work. I've tried various root combinations suggested such as debian debian but none work.

This won't work at all, as there is no grub bootloader. I don't actually know of any single-board computer that has grub on it.

(07-06-2018, 02:48 AM)alexyia Wrote: My goal is to change the power settings so that it never goes into sleep mode but now I also want to get the root account so I at least know what it is.  

To access the root account, you'll need to set a password for it, which will unlock the account. The rock64 user account is a admin level account, so you can do a "sudo passwd root" at a terminal prompt (hint: Applications -> System Tools -> MATE Terminal) and type in a password for the root user.

As far as power settings, they should be in the System -> Administration or System -> Preferences section, pretty sure the applet you're after is just called "Power"...
(07-06-2018, 04:02 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 02:48 AM)alexyia Wrote: I have tried booting into GRUB by holding in ESC and then again SHIFT on start up as read on a few posts. Later I read I need to hold down shift on a grey splashscreen which I don't see so I tried the login screen but that didn't work. I've tried various root combinations suggested such as debian debian but none work.

This won't work at all, as there is no grub bootloader. I don't actually know of any single-board computer that has grub on it.

(07-06-2018, 02:48 AM)alexyia Wrote: My goal is to change the power settings so that it never goes into sleep mode but now I also want to get the root account so I at least know what it is.  

To access the root account, you'll need to set a password for it, which will unlock the account. The rock64 user account is a admin level account, so you can do a "sudo passwd root" at a terminal prompt (hint: Applications -> System Tools -> MATE Terminal) and type in a password for the root user.

As far as power settings, they should be in the System -> Administration or System -> Preferences section, pretty sure the applet you're after is just called "Power"...

I see. Thanks for the guidance. I was able to change the root password! Unfortunately I still can't see the Administration option under System so I can't access any of the admin settings that I need to change. I logged in as root hoping it would show but still not. Any ideas? I only see Hardware, Internet & Hardware, Look & Feel and Personal none of which contain power settings.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Baseboard DC-006 centre tap? Bazmundi 1 3,021 07-14-2020, 05:10 AM
Last Post: michaelengel
  7" LCD Touch Screen Panel IanJames 0 2,015 04-01-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: IanJames
  Content Control teddyj 1 3,096 07-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: tllim
  7" LCD Touch Screen Panel TDetwiler3@gmail.com 1 4,139 06-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Last Post: xalius
  LCD Panel bsa 2 4,484 06-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Severian