PINE A64+ 4K Media Computer
I was a KS backer for the PINE A64+ 4K Media Computer (with the 2GB upgrade and WiFi/BT add-on).  I received my PINE about two years ago, assembled it, hooked up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and fired it up - everything worked just fine!  But, we were about to move, so the PINE got packed (away along with a LOT of other electronics), before I could really play with it.

I recently unpacked the PINE (the move was delayed... a bit), and, with the intention of completely ditching cable TV, told my wife that the 2nd TV would no longer have a cable box, and would use the PINE, instead.  (Her reaction was, "whatever, as long as Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora still work.")  I now have it connected to the TV, with a BT keyboard and mouse combo.  I have an ethernet cable plugged in (the LED is flashing, so it appears to work).  The PINE is also connected to the WiFi (seems that I had to connect to log into my Google Play account?)

This is running off the 8GB Android (v5.1.1?) microSD that came with the PINE.  Should I upgrade to a later version?  It looks like the current v7.0/7.1 builds don't work with Netflix, so should I use Android 6.0?  Other than not longer having an old version of Android (and being unable to install some newer apps), are there other advantages to upgrading to 6.0?  We have a Netflix subscription - could I install 7.0/7.1 and be able to run the app without problem, or are there other issues with the 7.x build that block Netflix?

Finally, what apps would you recommend "to turn this into an advanced Apple TV-like Android product"?

Thanks for your help!
(07-03-2018, 03:32 PM)RWL Wrote: I was a KS backer for the PINE A64+ 4K Media Computer (with the 2GB upgrade and WiFi/BT add-on).  I received my PINE about two years ago, assembled it, hooked up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and fired it up - everything worked just fine!  But, we were about to move, so the PINE got packed (away along with a LOT of other electronics), before I could really play with it.

I recently unpacked the PINE (the move was delayed... a bit), and, with the intention of completely ditching cable TV, told my wife that the 2nd TV would no longer have a cable box, and would use the PINE, instead.  (Her reaction was, "whatever, as long as Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora still work.")  I now have it connected to the TV, with a BT keyboard and mouse combo.  I have an ethernet cable plugged in (the LED is flashing, so it appears to work).  The PINE is also connected to the WiFi (seems that I had to connect to log into my Google Play account?)

This is running off the 8GB Android (v5.1.1?) microSD that came with the PINE.  Should I upgrade to a later version?  It looks like the current v7.0/7.1 builds don't work with Netflix, so should I use Android 6.0?  Other than not longer having an old version of Android (and being unable to install some newer apps), are there other advantages to upgrading to 6.0?  We have a Netflix subscription - could I install 7.0/7.1 and be able to run the app without problem, or are there other issues with the 7.x build that block Netflix?

Finally, what apps would you recommend "to turn this into an advanced Apple TV-like Android product"?

Thanks for your help!

Yes you must connect any your home network (e.g wi-fi or lan cable to login your google play account )

I will suggest to download and use Official Android 6.0 (HDMI Video Output) [20170112 v2.0.1] , and look android 6 is not bad i also use this version . ( only no tv style )  , just  this version  installed and run this android 6 , the display will show it about sd card broken it , but not a problem because it everything is working  .   

And official coming to release android 8 but it is no tv style version . 

because  i not tried any community android 7/7.1 build tv style version can't give you any suggest .
If I am wrong please correct my content , thank !

1. Use Pine64 Running Ubuntu 16.04 Web Server ( LAMP )

2. Use Pine64 Running Official Android 6  for Media player
3. Use Pine64 Running Volumio Digital Audio Player

probably the best thing to do if keeping your wife happy has priority in your life is to not first get rid of the method she is using and then try to replace it with the pine64 but rather have her continue to use what works while you then attempt to get the pine64 setup to do the job and then if you do succeed switch over to the pine64. in any event the pine64 is never going to be a adequate replacement for an advanced apple tv like experience. just my 2 cents to have a happy wife and happy home. good luck.
Firstly, I am completely on-board with what dkryder says - keeping your wife happy is probably your nr 1 priority. But if you wish to update the system to something that would be more 'apple TV'-like then you could give ayufan's android 6 ATV a go (I suggest you try it on a different SD, just in case you don't like it). Here is the link to the OS image: https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/android...r34.img.gz
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Dkryderer very wise man

In my country we have a very old and mysterious pentatrain

(Upgrade from that non hdmi supporting quatrain)

"If mama aint happy ain't nobody happy, if daddy ain't happy ain't no body cares!"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pine store paulhide 1 3,118 09-17-2020, 04:13 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
Question How to assemble a portable ARM computer. onizou 0 2,121 08-15-2020, 10:30 AM
Last Post: onizou
  My optimal software configuration for pine A64(+) 2Gb Alkemyboy 3 4,510 03-18-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pine HDMI -> DVI monitor Pineapple 4 7,647 09-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Pineapple
  Multi Room Audio - Pine style mjgoode 4 8,515 09-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Last Post: mjgoode
  Pine 64 LTS Schematic And R18 Reference Manual Akash Gajjar 2 5,180 12-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: tllim
  [PINE A64+ 2GB] Ubuntu - Losing Signal Arlanps 4 6,071 02-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Arlanps
  Applying a fan for the Pine 64+? Maximum 5 9,396 01-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Shad0wSt4R
  Using Pine cluster for Docker Swarm jpnh 1 3,748 11-22-2016, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jpnh
  Pine 64 IR Receiver not working rajatgarg21 1 3,144 08-31-2016, 12:47 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777