50.00%
Like it
30.56%
Its not for me
19.44%
36 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

RockPro64 Case 2x3.5" HDDs and 2x2.5 HDDs
(05-17-2019, 03:22 PM)markb1 Wrote: I got one of these, and it does do the job, but there are a bunch of annoyances, which kind of add up. I may feel better about it when I'm completely done with setup and don't have to access it again, but in the meantime, I'm having to deal with these things:

1) The SATA cables that come with it have to be bent at extreme angles, which makes me uncomfortable.
2) The SD card is hard to access. There's probably nothing that can be done to the case to make it easier to push on the card to release it, but once it's released, there's not enough clearance to get a finger on top of it to grab the card.
3) The power and reset buttons are very hard to press.
4) It's very hard to see the LEDs behind the reset button. There was a little plastic thing that came with the case, which I thought might be a light pipe, since it fits perfectly in the hole above the reset button, but it doesn't seem to work for that purpose.
5) The case is just really cramped with two 3.5" drives. To access the Pi header, I had to remove the drive assembly.
6) There are 8 screws that have to be removed to take the cover off the case. Really?

But, like I said, it gets the job done. Once I have it all setup and don't have to open it again, it won't be so annoying.

I agree with all the points but the last: I actually like that many screws (except if I need to open the case :p
One of the issues with the NAS case is the space required by most 80mm fans (usually 15mm or 25mm thick).  This can cause issues with the cabling and installation when using 3.5" disk drives.

In searching, I've found a solution that is only 10mm thick, but still provides 19CFM at 26dBA noise level.  It's from Wathai in China and is available on Most Amazon sites.  Here's the US Amazon link:

80mm x 5mm case fan

(EDIT - the image on that page says 5VDC, but this is for the 12VDC fan)

If you're not an Amazon fan, Warthai's description is "80mm x 10mm 12V 2Pin DC Cooler Radiator Exhaust Cooling Fan"

Full specs:
  • 1 Piece fan and mounting screws & nuts
  • Rated Voltage:12V 0.1A; Speed: 2500RPM; Air flow: 18.9CFM; Noise:26dBA
  • Connecter: XH2.54-2Pin; Cable Length: 25cm Or 9.85 inches
  • Bearing type: Sleeve Bearing ; Life: 35000 hours
  • Dimension: 80mm(L) x 80mm(W) x 10mm(H) / 3.15x3.15x0.4 in. per fan
I am going to try this on amazon for 4 internal HHDs. It says it is backwards comp with SATA II so wish me luck Wink. I will report back 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KNX...UTF8&psc=1
Once I got the fan control working the case fits my needs running OMV as a NAS for backing up files on home network. My biggest beef is not knowing exactly how to shutdown/restart the device. Can anyone direct me to the documentation listing the steps to shutdown the device? Not just the NASCase but the Rock64Pro too. Are they separate processes?
1. Via the browser interface - Shutdown. Wait. Wait. Then what?
2. If I can't connect via the browser - what to do to shutdown the device.
3. Steps to reboot the device after running OMV Update Management via the browser. Just reboot? Shutdown?

Reason I ask is that over the past months I've corrupted many EMMC OMV loads somehow. One scenario, run the OMV updates, reboot, never comes back. Can't get into browser interface, need to power down, press and hold power button to the Rock64Pro on the NASCase. Shuts down hopefully. Unplug power, plug power into the NASCase. Powers up but maybe not. Can't get connected via WinSCP, browser. End up reloading and configuring OMV.
Another scenario. Getting emails that backup and other misc. maintenance via OMV have been successful. Suddenly don't get the notices. Try to connect via the browser. No go. Try via WinSCP. Nope.
I'm not a NOOB but not an expert either. I don't really want to have to pour over logs nor spend hours troubleshooting my NAS box. Sure I'm a tinkerer but I also think that there are better things to do than mess with a device that backs up files.
Luke's documentation on configuring the NASCase is great, thanks. But I think it would be helpful to mention the reset, power, how to's in it too. If this is in the wrong place on the forum let me know and I'll repost it. Thanks,
Mark
(09-01-2019, 10:24 AM)Farley56 Wrote: My biggest beef is not knowing exactly how to shutdown/restart the device. Can anyone direct me to the documentation listing the steps to shutdown  the device? Not just the NASCase but the Rock64Pro too.
Hi Mark,

Shutdown takes the system down to the OFF state by running init 0, which shuts down all running processes
Reboot does just that - reboots - but uses init 6 which does the same as init 0, but with a reboot at the end
PowerOff is one step further in that it runs init 6, but then sends the ACPI command to kill power

None of these should come close to corrupting the eMMC or µSD card.  If any of them do, then there's an issue with either a processes not obeying the SIGTERM and SIGKILL commands sent during the finale stages on init 0.

If you would like to see this first hand, login on a direct-connect terminal and issue the init commands are rot:

Code:
init 0
init 6

HTH,
Tim
(09-01-2019, 11:22 AM)Tim Jones Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 10:24 AM)Farley56 Wrote: My biggest beef is not knowing exactly how to shutdown/restart the device. Can anyone direct me to the documentation listing the steps to shutdown  the device? Not just the NASCase but the Rock64Pro too.
Hi Mark,

Shutdown takes the system down to the OFF state by running init 0, which shuts down all running processes
Reboot does just that - reboots - but uses init 6 which does the same as init 0, but with a reboot at the end
PowerOff is one step further in that it runs init 6, but then sends the ACPI command to kill power

None of these should come close to corrupting the eMMC or µSD card.  If any of them do, then there's an issue with either a processes not obeying the SIGTERM and SIGKILL commands sent during the finale stages on init 0.

If you would like to see this first hand, login on a direct-connect terminal and issue the init commands are rot:

Code:
init 0
init 6

HTH,
Tim

Thanks Tim. Good suggestion/explanation. I'll take a look. I'd imagine if it's a process corrupting the OMV load I'll have to spend some time looking through logs. A couple more questions;
* Can I assume that the OMV shutdown and reboot selections from the browser interface also use the same "init" code?
* Does using the Rock64Pro "reset" or "power" buttons accomplish the same thing?
* I don't want to be logged into the OMV browser interface if I wish to use the power button on the NASCase (Rock64Pro)?
* Worst thing to do is pull the AC power from the NASCase which kills everything immediately and without running any init code?
Thanks again,
Mark
Quote:Thanks Tim. Good suggestion/explanation. I'll take a look. I'd imagine if it's a process corrupting the OMV load I'll have to spend some time looking through logs. A couple more questions;
* Can I assume that the OMV shutdown and reboot selections from the browser interface also use the same "init" code?
* Does using the Rock64Pro "reset" or "power" buttons accomplish the same thing?
* I don't want to be logged into the OMV browser interface if I wish to use the power button on the NASCase (Rock64Pro)?
* Worst thing to do is pull the AC power from the NASCase which kills everything immediately and without running any init code?
Thanks again,
Mark

I don't know for certain, but I suspect that they call the standard reboot and shutdown functionality.

Stay away from the power and reset buttons for shutting down - those are last resort options if the system won't shutdown cleanly.  Both have the same affect as pulling power - POOF!
@SBCraok I've had some bad experiences with this enclosure with respect to voltage regulation... I've tried to use an HDD and an SSD mounted internally and going through the pcie / sata adapter (from the pinestore). Everything worked well until I've had a major filesystem corruption on my ssd (basically, all files moved to "lost+found"). I've moved my ssd back to its usb enclosure and now everything works smoothly (of course, the point of buying the nas case and the various adapters was to be able to mount all disks internally...)
Since the case has no bearing on the power supply, you need to look elsewhere for the cause. This case is just a dead metal container. Are you using a 5A power supply for the use with the disks? A 2.5A definitely won't cut it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing Wifi drive for the RockPro64 John45595 0 174 02-10-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: John45595
Wink You don't sell case and fan for "ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer"? Clea 1 673 09-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Want to check maximum toggle speed in Rockpro64 board. kundanjha 0 627 08-14-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: kundanjha
  Unable to boot Armbian on new RockPro64 mooseball 5 4,085 07-14-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rockjonn
  Hardware fix for software sound problem on Rockpro64 Ricks Rockpro 0 835 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  No sound on Rockpro64 with OpenWrt Patrice 1 1,240 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  Cant get rockpro64 working brasilikum 3 1,703 03-19-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: runyor
  RockPro64 Stopped working WarpLover 5 2,519 02-06-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: diizzy
Lightbulb ROCKPro64 + SSD case model for 3D print Spater 0 959 01-27-2023, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Spater
  RockPro64 and Neon rapier1 2 1,695 10-21-2022, 07:44 AM
Last Post: rapier1