Sent from my Xperia V using Tapatalk
By. Zoidiano0!
Installed:
LAMP: Linux , Apache2.4 , Mariadb, phpMyadmin, PHP5 
Java 8 arm by oracle
Netbeans 8.1
chromium (uses way toooo much Ram)

Pine64 Head Unit Project.!
it would seem to me that any large scale project would need to have finished product within 6 months for simple reason of outdating of technology. no doubt there will be people that still use this board in a years time but due to new products at same or less cost [hopefully even from pine64] that operate at faster speeds and greater capacities the market for this board will be in secondary class. also, it just seems to me that this board is pine64's baby and it's theirs to fix or to replace. my suggestion is to come up with a new board that works & is open source with learning and building on the current experience and perhaps give current registered owners a good discount to move onto the new design.
Sad 
(09-10-2016, 08:31 PM)dkryder Wrote: it would seem to me that any large scale project would need to have finished product within 6 months for simple reason of outdating of technology. no doubt there will be people that still use this board in a years time but due to new products at same or less cost [hopefully even from pine64] that operate at faster speeds and greater capacities the market for this board will be in secondary class. also, it just seems to me that this board is pine64's baby and it's theirs to fix or to replace. my suggestion is to come up with a new board that works & is open source with learning and building on the current experience and perhaps give current registered owners a good discount to move onto the new design.

Not at all sure that this is the best thread to be having this discussion, but yes, I've ruminated on similar thoughts. Any successful project has to have a vibrant and dedicated community behind it, and it does feel a bit like Pine64 tossed their baby out in the wild and have relied an awful lot on the goodwill of some brilliant and generous folks to diagnose it's troubles and document their findings.

I don't regret for a second backing this project on Kickstarter, but speaking for myself, I would be more than happy to pay another $15/$19/$30 USD on a Version "B", "2.0", or "Beta" (because this whole experience has felt very Alpha to me) board that addresses all of the many issues that the backers were 'rewarded' with and simply delivers what I think we were all led to expect for the last 10 months. 

The specs don't need improvement, really, for the time being- it can run as an Android tablet, a decent Linux box, and has the potential to do all sorts of stuff with GPIO, I2C, OW, etc. with what it presently has under the hood. It just seems like much too much was overlooked or had to be modified last minute during production for various reasons.
(09-10-2016, 05:33 AM)pietrondo Wrote: News?
on irc channel there is:

«LADIES AND GENTS, WE HAVE THE MALI DRIVER! Big Grin -- If you are here to ask a question please be patient. It may take some time before we get back to you

That's "old news"... has been the header for the IRC chat for over a month. There hasn't been anything more said after it was finally clearly explained that the mali driver is only good for OpenGLES applications.
(09-10-2016, 11:36 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
on irc channel there is:

«LADIES AND GENTS, WE HAVE THE MALI DRIVER! Big Grin -- If you are here to ask a question please be patient. It may take some time before we get back to you

That's "old news"... has been the header for the IRC chat for over a month. There hasn't been anything more said after it was finally clearly explained that the mali driver is only good for OpenGLES applications.

yeah, that needs to come down;  will talk to lukasz about it tomorrow.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Hello, im kinda lost and need some help.
As im running Remix OS version from April on my Pine64, someone told me to fix 1080p playback issues i need to install mali drivers.
How on earth can i install it, i found it on hte site and downloaded but now im lost on how to install it.
Thanks in advance.
(09-11-2016, 12:35 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 11:36 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
on irc channel there is:

yeah, that needs to come down;  will talk to lukasz about it tomorrow.

Changed the topic in IRC
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Just a thought, regarding the mali, aka:

"Graphics ARM Mali400MP2 graphics acceleration provides mobile users with superior experience in web
browsing, video playback and gaming effects; OpenGL ES2.0 ,OpenVG1.1 standards are supported."

Code:
http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Main_Page#Datasheet
clearly states:

"THIRD PARTY LICENCES MAY BE REQUIRED TO IMPLEMENT THE SOLUTION/PRODUCT. CUSTOMERS SHALL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE TO OBTAIN ALL APPROPRIATELY REQUIRED THIRD PARTY LICENCES. ALLWINNER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LICENCE FEE OR ROYALTY DUE IN RESPECT OF ANY REQUIRED THIRD PARTY LICENCE. ALLWINNER SHALL HAVE NO WARRANTY, INDEMNITY OR OTHER OBLIGATIONS WITH RESPECT TO MATTERS COVERED UNDER ANY REQUIRED THIRD PARTY LICENCE." In the declaration section, third page.

So, what has Allwinner Technology got to do with our problems with this issue? They are nothing more than a "printing" broker, selling us a chip printed by a fab? They do not own this issue, cause they do not own mali, ARM Ltd. does. Why don't we ask them? They are the only ones who can help us here, because it is their kit.

Ditto for the video codecs and 2D stuff.

If this mali is sufficiently obsolete, there is little residual value in it for ARM. Like DOOM, why not release it? I think they'd get great value out of doing so, in terms of goodwill, for which, there is NO substitute.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

David
David, the lip smacking pirate hedgehog.  "SHIVER me timbers!"  
This topic is very complicated; there are several corporations involved, and more than a couple of non disclosure agreements.

The bottom line is that the mali blobs and drm integrated kernel cannot be packaged together and distributed without violating the GPL license; something which developers like longsleep (Simon) and lennyraposo (Lenny) are not willing to do ( nor myself either, for that matter , as well as most other developers in the FOSS movement ).

This is further complicated by the fact that some of the original developers are bound by NDA(s) and cannot discuss their work nor release their full documentation; sound familiar ?

So, due to proprietary evils we in the SBC "Allwinner" community are literally between the proverbial rock and very hard spot. Its not at all as simple as you're trying to make it sound ( and I've even over-simplified it here for the sake of brevity ) but I think you get the general idea.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(10-04-2016, 05:02 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: The bottom line is that the mali blobs and drm integrated kernel cannot be packaged together and distributed without violating the GPL license; something which developers like longsleep (Simon) and lennyraposo (Lenny) are not willing to do ( nor myself either, for that matter , as well as most other developers in the FOSS movement ).

This is further complicated by the fact that some of the original developers are bound by NDA(s) and cannot discuss their work nor release their full documentation;  sound familiar ?

No FOSS developer in their right mind would package / distribute the mali binaries unless the source code is available and redistributable (as to do otherwise is a breach of the GPL). And they can't distribute the source code if it is protected by a NDA or restrictive distribution license (unless they wanted to be sued). It is as simple as that. However, what does confuse me, is if we are talking about the files that were made available on the pine64 wiki, as I have flicked through half a dozen of the source files and archive packages, is that most are either GPL licensed code or texas instruments freely distributable code. So is it "merely" a question of a license for the contents of "lib_x11_r6p0.tar.bz2" that is an issue? Thus meaning unless the source is made available for the binaries in that file, no GPL compliant/derived distribution can use it.  Dodgy

You have to love IP protections... and the sharks that insist that nothing would be developed without them... how little do they know!  Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand New LCD not working adamjedgar 3 6,479 03-11-2017, 12:20 AM
Last Post: simplexdan
  Pine64+: 3 working, 1 shows nothing on tv zumtra 1 3,909 07-30-2016, 05:47 PM
Last Post: tllim