Clusterboard Feature request topic
I couldn't find one anywhere else on this forum; maybe it's a good idea to have a feature request topic since I believe it is a prototype and thus still in development?

Things I'd love to see changed:

- A second ethernet switch, to serve as an ethernet backbone between the SOPine modules, for inter-module traffic (cluster/config sync/HA traffic, front/backend separation, etc).
- A physical connection to that backbone switch so you could connect multiple clusterboards and have modules from different boards directly interact without using up bandwidth on the main switch
- A different placement of the pin headers for the modules, these aren't accessible when a heatsink is applied.
- A step-up converter to 12V and Pin header for a cooling fan (so you can simply use one powersupply and don't need a seperate one for the fan).
- Some form of individual remote control; remote power/reset functions, serial over ethernet type functionality

If this kind of feedback is unwanted, go ahead and close the topic Smile
(03-14-2018, 05:43 AM)PeterKeuning Wrote: I couldn't find one anywhere else on this forum; maybe it's a good idea to have a feature request topic since I believe it is a prototype and thus still in development?

Things I'd love to see changed:

- A step-up converter to 12V and Pin header for a cooling fan (so you can simply use one powersupply and don't need a seperate one for the fan).

If this kind of feedback is unwanted, go ahead and close the topic Smile

There are a good number of 5v fans on the market - including good quality quiet ones from Notua...
I'd like the functionality to create a BMC or management node for the cluster board. The primary features being:

- Each node's console UART connected to something like a pair of FDTI FT4232H USB-4xUART, or exposed via compatible headers for: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Modules...2H-56_Mini
- The reset pin for each node connected to a relay or similar, ideally with a controller exposed via an external facing USB device.
- Not sure if its possible with the SOPIN's pinout, but ability to out-of-band flash the SPI on a node.

USB is nice for each of these as for development you can loop it back to the first node on the clusterboard. Then for scaling up, say with 6 clusterboards, you could connected each into a hub, and have a single Pine64-LTS have access too all the UARTs and have remote power cycling ability.

Looking further out, upgrading the embedded switch with a 10GBase-T uplink and some amount of management functionality would be useful. The management functionality would allow SDN like work.
Dual Ethernet sounds good.  Then a clusterboard can be clustered.
+1 some sort of management controller and more network throughput in/out of the clusterboard. I'd also welcome more local storage options, not that there'e much real estate left for an eMMC per module...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Managed Ethernet switch on the Clusterboard dsimic 6 5,215 01-16-2024, 02:05 AM
Last Post: hazcam
  Selling Clusterboard + 4 sopine xblack86 7 5,738 09-26-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  clusterboard availability? linear 1 1,578 07-17-2022, 06:44 AM
  Clusterboard not getting IP address after network fix Norlark 14 12,273 08-30-2021, 05:00 PM
  When would be the Clusterboard back on stock? __kzl__ 5 5,143 08-16-2021, 03:52 AM
  Schematics for customising the Clusterboard TechDragon 0 2,046 05-25-2021, 10:28 AM
Last Post: TechDragon
Information Clusterboard Guide AZClusterboard 9 23,176 04-06-2021, 06:32 AM
Brick Clusterboard CAD drawings TeaPack 1 3,771 03-31-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Pine
  New Clusterboard Setup wargfn 5 7,227 01-01-2021, 10:10 AM
  Clusterboard does not even turn on? poVoq 3 6,139 08-15-2020, 07:31 AM