Linux on Rock 64
Hello, wondering if anybody can  help.  I have the Rock 64, I got past the problems of no video, thanks for the input from these forums.

The next question I have is, how can I properly install a version of Linux on this device?

The Raspberry PI, its Raspbian OS, it installs, you can change the IP, activate VNC, and SSH etc......
With the linux versions on the Rock, its like its just  booting a live CD version???

Any help appreciated, thanks
Install procedure on rock64 is the same as you use on the pi (i have both), get the proper image file, burn it (preferably with etcher and on a windows system) then insert the sd card and the system boots, simple as that, i have a pi and im pretty sure that there is no "install" proccess per se, maybe you refer to any setup the system do on the first boot on the pi where you wait about a min and the system restart itself, i dont remember that on the rock64, and about the mentioned software options it depends what image source do you use, as example ayufan images come with ssh enabled by default but you need to install anything else by hand, or you can use armbian where you can use their "multi-app installer" called softy iirc, there is also dietpi distro with another multi-app installer, cant remember their name...maybe if you add more specifics to your question, what you tried, where do you failed, what exactly do you want to do...?
(03-04-2018, 07:08 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote: Install procedure on rock64 is the same as you use on the pi (i have both), get the proper image file, burn it (preferably with etcher and on a windows system) then insert the sd card and the system boots, simple as that, i have a pi and im pretty sure that there is no "install" proccess per se, maybe you refer to any setup the system do on the first boot on the pi where you wait about a min and the system restart itself, i dont remember that on the rock64, and about the mentioned software options it depends what image source do you use, as example ayufan images come with ssh enabled by default but you need to install anything else by hand, or you can use armbian where you can use their "multi-app installer" called softy iirc, there is also dietpi distro with another multi-app installer, cant remember their name...maybe if you add more specifics to your question, what you tried, where do you failed, what exactly do you want to do...?

I wrote the image with Etcher, yes it boots etc.  The Raspberry PI is different, because on first boot it gives the option to run it live or install it. 
So when the Rock 64 boots, first time takes longer, but there is no option to install, cant add accounts etc....
this is why rpi is not doing you any favors. rpi attempts to make life easy for you and in the process removes you from learning about a lot of what is involved with having a linux o/s. when you first boot rock64 there is a user account called rock64. so first account is there. since you do not mention which version of linux you have it's hard to say what else except you might want to start reading about the operation of a basic linux operating system and learn about how things work outside of rpi.
(03-09-2018, 07:49 AM)dkryder Wrote: this is why rpi is not doing you any favors. rpi attempts to make life easy for you and in the process removes you from learning about a lot of what is involved with having a linux o/s. when you first boot rock64 there is a user account called rock64. so first account is there. since you do not mention which version of linux you have it's hard to say  what else except you might want to start reading about the operation of a basic linux operating system and learn about how things work outside of rpi.

RPI is not doing me any favors?  I write an image with Etcher, it boots, i get the option to run  the OS live or install it.  I  installed it.  Now its an SMB server and VPN server, and works very well.
With the Rock 64 and Ubuntu Mate or Debian Stretch, its only a live CD version, i cant change passwords, cant add users, nothing. 
So can I do a real install of Debian Stretch or ubuntu Mate with the Rock 64?
(03-12-2018, 05:44 AM)borisacomputers Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 07:49 AM)dkryder Wrote: this is why rpi is not doing you any favors. rpi attempts to make life easy for you and in the process removes you from learning about a lot of what is involved with having a linux o/s. when you first boot rock64 there is a user account called rock64. so first account is there. since you do not mention which version of linux you have it's hard to say  what else except you might want to start reading about the operation of a basic linux operating system and learn about how things work outside of rpi.

RPI is not doing me any favors?  I write an image with Etcher, it boots, i get the option to run  the OS live or install it.  I  installed it.  Now its an SMB server and VPN server, and works very well.
With the Rock 64 and Ubuntu Mate or Debian Stretch, its only a live CD version, i cant change passwords, cant add users, nothing. 

You still didnt tell us what OS distro are you using and yes you can have a real debian stretch or ubuntu on the rock64 but not with a desktop environment yet (or yea even with a desktop environment if you know a bit about linux) so again, raspbian is sold as a learning OS but is not teaching a lot of essentials, its not helping you in the basic task it is meant to...
Also, ANY distro and i mean AAANNNYYY distro i know off let you use the passwd and adduser commands...
Last you complain about "real" stretch and mate, stretch is the name of a distro and mate is the name of a desktop environment, so what exactly do you need? one of the official big distros or a desktop environment? (if we complain is preferably to complain correctly otherwise our complains are ignored that includes answering previous specific questions)
(03-12-2018, 07:18 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:

You still didnt tell us what OS distro are you using and yes you can have a real debian stretch or ubuntu on the rock64 but not with a desktop environment yet (or yea even with a desktop environment if you know a bit about linux) so again, raspbian is sold as a learning OS but is not teaching a lot of essentials, its not helping you in the basic task it is meant to...
Also, ANY distro and i mean AAANNNYYY distro i know off let you use the passwd and adduser commands...
Last you complain about "real" stretch and mate, stretch is the name of a distro and mate is the name of a desktop environment, so what exactly do you need? one of the official big distros or a desktop environment? (if we complain is preferably to complain correctly otherwise our complains are ignored that includes answering previous specific questions)

I downloaded the Rock 64 version of Etcher, downloaded Debian 9 Stretch from the list and wrote it to a 16Gb SD via windows 10.  It booted to the desktop, all very limited, many system prefs missing, just like a Live CD as I said before.  So, how is the FULL OS installed, so all options are there.  If you boot the standard debian for AMD 64 on a PC, on first boot it says run Live CD or install, yer, just like a Raspberry

(03-12-2018, 07:41 AM)borisacomputers Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 07:18 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:

I downloaded the Rock 64 version of Etcher, downloaded Debian 9 Stretch from the list and wrote it to a 16Gb SD via windows 10.  It booted to the desktop, all very limited, many system prefs missing, just like a Live CD as I said before.  So, how is the FULL OS installed, so all options are there.  If you boot the standard debian for AMD 64 on a PC, on first boot it says run Live CD or install, yer, just like a Raspberry
I cant do ANYTHING with root, trying to change it or create it or anything then I get a "you may not view or change anything" to do with root.  lol yer wonderful

Any commands to run the installer in terminal, then I get errors about files being locked and needing root, which I cant do anyway. So, where do I go now? All these people saying there is no install with Debian Strech on PI, RUBBISH! Ive done it 8 times now, everytime it asks to install or run

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-12-2018, 07:41 AM)borisacomputers Wrote: I downloaded the Rock 64 version of Etcher, downloaded Debian 9 Stretch from the list and wrote it to a 16Gb SD via windows 10.  It booted to the desktop, all very limited, many system prefs missing, just like a Live CD as I said before.  So, how is the FULL OS installed, so all options are there.  If you boot the standard debian for AMD 64 on a PC, on first boot it says run Live CD or install, yer, just like a Raspberry

I cant do ANYTHING with root, trying to change it or create it or anything then I get a "you may not view or change anything" to do with root.  lol yer wonderful

Any commands to run the installer in terminal, then I get errors about files being locked and needing root, which I cant do anyway.  So, where do I go now?  All these people saying there is no install with Debian Strech on PI, RUBBISH!  Ive done it 8 times now, everytime it asks to install or run

There is no "rock64 version of etcher" such thing dont exist, the etcher everyone uses even with the rpi is the oficial etcher from etcher.io wich is not related at all with rock64 or the rpi...also you write "downloaded Debian 9 Stretch from the list", but...from what list? this list is very old try to avoid em for the moment, This list is the most popular atm and the most stable or you can try with this but its in testing/unstable, again, be super SUPER specific about what you are trying.

Also i have 2 raspis and im completelly sure that none of their OSs have a "live" version, maybe you are confusing their "noobs" app that gives you a menu on boot to chose what to boot with a live distro?

A last note, most distros (not all, mind you) dont use anymore root accounts for security reasons, what i mean by this, any account can have the same privileges like a root account what many distros avoid is to use an accout named exactly root for admin tasks (or lock completelly the "root" account like you see), ayufan images use "rock64" as a root account, when you log as rock64 you can do ANYTHING you can do on a root account and if something is limited is also for security and you need to raise your security for that session or specific command ("sudo command" for a specific command or "sudo su" will keep the priviledges until you logout), again, raspbian is doing you no favor by giving you everything setup and the security lowered for you even from the first boot, its not even teaching you simple commands/behavior about linux...if i use a pair of raspis its because they are used in completely non critical situations and because i have them since long ago and they still work but i wouldnt buy more of them...

Last note about having or not your settings when you install a new distro, most people prefer to install watever they need themselves and all rock64 distros are in early stages in regards to desktops environments, if you prefer everything served in a silver platter maybe you need to go back to windows...or well...to the raspberry...
(03-12-2018, 08:26 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 07:41 AM)borisacomputers Wrote: I downloaded the Rock 64 version of Etcher, downloaded Debian 9 Stretch from the list and wrote it to a 16Gb SD via windows 10.  It booted to the desktop, all very limited, many system prefs missing, just like a Live CD as I said before.  So, how is the FULL OS installed, so all options are there.  If you boot the standard debian for AMD 64 on a PC, on first boot it says run Live CD or install, yer, just like a Raspberry

Any commands to run the installer in terminal, then I get errors about files being locked and needing root, which I cant do anyway.  So, where do I go now?  All these people saying there is no install with Debian Strech on PI, RUBBISH!  Ive done it 8 times now, everytime it asks to install or run

There is no "rock64 version of etcher" such thing dont exist, the etcher everyone uses even with the rpi is the oficial etcher from etcher.io wich is not related at all with rock64 or the rpi...also you write "downloaded Debian 9 Stretch from the list", but...from what list? this list is very old try to avoid em for the moment, This list is the most popular atm and the most stable or you can try with this but its in testing/unstable, again, be super SUPER specific about what you are trying.

Also i have 2 raspis and im completelly sure that none of their OSs have a "live" version, maybe you are confusing their "noobs" app that gives you a menu on boot to chose what to boot with a live distro?

A last note, most distros (not all, mind you) dont use anymore root accounts for security reasons, what i mean by this, any account can have the same privileges like a root account what many distros avoid is to use an accout named exactly root for admin tasks (or lock completelly the "root" account like you see), ayufan images use "rock64" as a root account, when you log as rock64 you can do ANYTHING you can do on a root account and if something is limited is also for security and you need to raise your security for that session or specific command ("sudo command" for a specific command or "sudo su" will keep the priviledges until you logout), again, raspbian is doing you no favor by giving you everything setup and the security lowered for you even from the first boot, its not even teaching you simple commands/behavior about linux...if i use a pair of raspis its because they are used in completely non critical situations and because i have them since long ago and they still work but i wouldnt buy more of them...

Last note about having or not your settings when you install a new distro, most people prefer to install watever they need themselves and all rock64 distros are in early stages in regards to desktops environments, if you prefer everything served in a silver platter maybe you need to go back to windows...or well...to the raspberry...

This forum, about as helpful as a kick in the nuts.  The attitude of you people too, amazing.  I bought this thing with high hopes.  Rock 64, on your own DAMN website you have a link to download Etcher, but it has been modified to download specific versions of the OSs for the computer you select.  You know, your hardware maybe you people should know that too.  You people tell me things are not compatible, yet I select ROCK 64 from the app and download options it displays!
I a NOT confusing the Noobs OS at all, I have Raspbian Stretch installed.  It boots, asks to install it or run it.  After installing it, it works like a normal Linux system should do, I can change settings, add users etc...  Another 3 setup for clients today for remote backup purposes
Ubuntu Server, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, all straight forward to install and use, your system NO
So yer, carry on with your ego, Wont be touching this poxy thing again!
(03-13-2018, 07:19 AM)borisacomputers Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 08:26 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:

This forum, about as helpful as a kick in the nuts.  The attitude of you people too, amazing.  I bought this thing with high hopes.  Rock 64, on your own DAMN website you have a link to download Etcher, but it has been modified to download specific versions of the OSs for the computer you select.  You know, your hardware maybe you people should know that too.  You people tell me things are not compatible, yet I select ROCK 64 from the app and download options it displays!
I a NOT confusing the Noobs OS at all, I have Raspbian Stretch installed.  It boots, asks to install it or run it.  After installing it, it works like a normal Linux system should do, I can change settings, add users etc...  Another 3 setup for clients today for remote backup purposes
Ubuntu Server, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, all straight forward to install and use, your system NO
So yer, carry on with your ego, Wont be touching this poxy thing again!

I have no idea what is the etcher deal with those images they offer, i never use those, as they are not directly related with rock64 i have no idea what they put on that list, i tend to not download any extra on any software i use unless im 100% sure its from a trusted source (malware rings a bell? sometimes its not even intentional, other problem sometimes are severelly outdated images), trusting everything online is a bad thing nowadays. 

Im not even related with the rock64 people but im pretty sure no one can control what anyone else does on the internet, im 90% sure than even a judge will laugh at the rock64 people if they try to stop the etcher people from using any images they want. (in fact the situtation is worst in this case, they MAYBE can force the etcher people to NOT use their oficial images, wich for your situation is even worse)

Really no idea where you get your images for the raspberry, i downloaded raspbian minimal again a few mins ago and it simply start normally without asking if live or not, its not related to the issue in question here so im not going to add anything else on this, exept  that going back to a previous comment, triple check where you got that image, it can contain malware or who knows what if its not from a trusted source.

And about adding users or setting passwords, the same commands you use on raspbian works on ayufan images, again, i have no idea what image are you using so cant help you here...you keep complaining and bitching but yet again you didnt tell us what image are you using, complain about the lack of help but no one can help you without the correct info, its something basic...i gave you several generic commands to try to create user accounts and set passwords but you keep complaining and bitching and not giving the correct information, the worst part, you dont even know what os you install on your device, its like buying food on a completelly white box, you can be alergic, it can be pet food, it can be toxic, who knows...

My final suggestion is that you download one of this images and try again creating users or changing passwords, those images are HEAVILY tested...if you dont try this im not answering any more posts here as its useless...

Again, im trying to help but you dont help me help you...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 53 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  MIPI-CSI IMX214 on Linux NO SUCCESS zeus666 2 1,630 06-02-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Linux 5.15 Kernel - openSuse mark1250 0 1,243 12-02-2021, 04:36 PM
Last Post: mark1250
  Alpine Linux isndw 12 17,535 08-12-2021, 05:41 PM
Last Post: pix
Lightbulb RK3399 Linux rtl8822cu module bluetooth not working shivarj89 0 1,317 07-29-2021, 07:19 AM
Last Post: shivarj89
Information Linux Mainline ayufan 63 90,220 05-14-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Wizzard
  Linux Images (ROCK64) pineadmin 164 276,481 02-12-2021, 10:14 AM
Last Post: useful64
  Arch Linux Arm --> Kernel 5.8 breaks installation as365n4 12 11,988 08-31-2020, 01:41 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Arch Linux ARM on the Rock64 V3 justinweiss 2 4,782 08-24-2020, 05:16 PM
Last Post: justinweiss
  Arch Linux Arm - external RTC problem max 1 2,906 08-17-2020, 10:35 AM
Last Post: max