Has the Pine worked with your HDMI display?
Everything I hooked it to worked!
26.42%
Some screens/cables worked for me.
33.96%
Nothing has worked so far.
39.62%
53 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

HDMI issues
I'm beginning to think that the three or four most passionate and geeky owners of this thing should keep playing, and the other 99% of the people who backed this should just put it in a closet for a while, then when it's actually working close to properly they can send out an email to everyone.

I have tried FOUR monitors now (two different Samsung, two other brands), using a different HDMI cable each time, with two difference lengths of HDMI cable.

EVERY monitor tells me that I have an "Unsupported Resolution"....

I have tried three different OS (including Remix, which I thought was the one in best shape)..no change..no video.

Tell me how exactly I troubleshoot an issue with no video?
(06-19-2016, 01:32 PM)phloog Wrote: I'm beginning to think that the three or four most passionate and geeky owners of this thing should keep playing, and the other 99% of the people who backed this should just put it in a closet for a while, then when it's actually working close to properly they can send out an email to everyone.

I have tried FOUR monitors now (two different Samsung, two other brands), using a different HDMI cable each time, with two difference lengths of HDMI cable.

EVERY monitor tells me that I have an "Unsupported Resolution"....

I have tried three different OS (including Remix, which I thought was the one in best shape)..no change..no video.

Tell me how exactly I troubleshoot an issue with no video?

Try the two OS writing tools and images I posted in the thread you started, here.

Work through systematically, one monitor at a time, one hdmi cable at a time. Do not use any hdmi splitters, use a direct hdmi connection. You got the PSU provided by Pine, and quite rightly have baulked at that possibly being the issue, reasoning that the supplied PSU should work with the board, which seems like logical reasoning (though the microSD cards supplied by Pine have been criticised as being fairly poor - I can't recall if you mentioned which microSD card you are using. That could be a factor as well).

On the face of it, 'unsupported resolution' would suggest that the monitors you are trying do not support either 720p or 1080p, which are the only two resolutions that the Pine64 works with at the moment (not including the 1024 x 600 image used for the LCD touchscreen). But I know from your other posts that at least one of your monitors does support 1080p, as it appears as the resolution setting on your screen, just that you are not getting a picture to go with it. 

You are right, though. It shouldn't be this problematic to get everything set up.
I also have tried a variety of monitors, TVs & cables. I got it to work HDMI > HDMI on a Dell S2740L. But it doesn't work on my older Dell 1920 monitor or a 2560 Dell Ultrasharp, or on my Samsung HDTV. Have tried 3 Linux variants.

I get the impression that whoever is developing the kernel drivers is doing it on a very limited set of hardware & hasn't even thought about supporting a sensible range of monitors.

If some Linux guru was able to write some scripts that would update the display drivers for a few common OS variants we'd be leagues ahead of where we are now. 

My Pine is sitting on my desk doing nothing now, useless until I can find a cheap monitor that I know I can actually use it with. The only reason I know it was actually booting up is by connecting a USB serial cable. 

I don't mind tweaking to get the thing going, that's why I bought it, but when you can't even get it to run a monitor it makes you wonder why you even bothered.
(06-21-2016, 04:04 PM)3lliot Wrote: I also have tried a variety of monitors, TVs & cables. I got it to work HDMI > HDMI on a Dell S2740L. But it doesn't work on my older Dell 1920 monitor or a 2560 Dell Ultrasharp, or on my Samsung HDTV. Have tried 3 Linux variants.

I get the impression that whoever is developing the kernel drivers is doing it on a very limited set of hardware & hasn't even thought about supporting a sensible range of monitors.

If some Linux guru was able to write some scripts that would update the display drivers for a few common OS variants we'd be leagues ahead of where we are now. 

My Pine is sitting on my desk doing nothing now, useless until I can find a cheap monitor that I know I can actually use it with. The only reason I know it was actually booting up is by connecting a USB serial cable. 

I don't mind tweaking to get the thing going, that's why I bought it, but when you can't even get it to run a monitor it makes you wonder why you even bothered.

At least for the Linux images based on longsleep's kernel the issue of switching resolution is resolved, resolution can be configured via u-boot and theoretically switched on the fly while running Linux. See http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=980
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
Ok thanks, I'll give that a go (next time I can borrow that usb serial cable...)
Has anyone had any experience with Pine64 + Acer G215H abd? I have. It requires a DVI input. I bought an adapter for it and when I plug the Pine in the monitor recognizes it and puts on an orange LED (meaning it recognizes a sleeping or off computer connected to it while the monitor itself is on) and when I turn on the Pine the monitor doesn't react at all. Any way I can fix this? monitors are expensive and this is actually a pretty decent monitor. It does do 1080p.
(06-21-2016, 04:21 PM)xalius Wrote:
(06-21-2016, 04:04 PM)3lliot Wrote: I also have tried a variety of monitors, TVs & cables. I got it to work HDMI > HDMI on a Dell S2740L. But it doesn't work on my older Dell 1920 monitor or a 2560 Dell Ultrasharp, or on my Samsung HDTV. Have tried 3 Linux variants.

At least for the Linux images based on longsleep's kernel the issue of switching resolution is resolved, resolution can be configured via u-boot and theoretically switched on the fly while running Linux. See http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=980
Unfortunately, this tool doesn't support 1920 x 1200. This is widely used by many high-definition monitors.
David Hardingham
(06-22-2016, 02:21 AM)dhardingham Wrote: Unfortunately, this tool doesn't support 1920 x 1200. This is widely used by many high-definition monitors.

I can't get it to boot anyway - I'm using a USB serial cable to monitor the console output, so I can see what it's doing, but the Longsleep build that he recommends, with the inbuilt HDMI resolution script hangs in various different places. 

https://www.stdin.xyz/downloads/people/l...es/ubuntu/

I've tried cleaning & reformatting the SD card 5 times. I'm using Win32 disk imager to write the image to the card.

Can anyone recommend the best Linux build that supports resolution setting, and provide any instructions to get it working (over & above the usual flash image > insert in board)?
If you do uname -r does the kernel list 3.10.65 or 3.10.101 or higher?

have you executed the following after first boot?

sudo resize_rootfs.sh && reboot
sudo pine64_update_uboot.sh && reboot
sudo pine64_update_kernel.sh && reboot

and finally

sudo apt-get install sunxi-disp-tool
reboot

That should get it to work

you may also want to add the following to the end of your uEnv.txt to lower the display resolution to 720p (hopefully your screen supports this mode)

sudo -i
echo 'optargs=disp.screen0_output_mode=720p60' >> /boot/uEnv.txt
reboot

Let me know how it went Wink
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
(06-22-2016, 02:21 AM)dhardingham Wrote: Unfortunately, this tool doesn't support 1920 x 1200. This is widely used by many high-definition monitors.

No true, sunxi-disp-tool has the -mode parameter, taking hex values which can be anything what the given Kernel understands. The problem is that 1920x1200 is not a supported resolution by the HDMI drivers provided by Allwinner for A64. See https://github.com/longsleep/linux-pine6...#L127-L157 and https://github.com/longsleep/linux-pine6...#L127-L157 for details.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad HDMI to DVI Color issues? leatherlips 5 15,157 10-09-2017, 05:57 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Would HDMI screen for Raspberry PI work? dhewko 1 3,435 07-23-2017, 06:43 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
Exclamation HDMI 1024 x 600 mus1c 4 6,213 01-09-2017, 07:30 AM
Last Post: mus1c
  HDMI-DVI aminhb 11 17,420 01-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Monitor no output (through HDMI to DVI adaptor) gam01hr 10 14,807 11-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Armbian User
  HDMI CEC ayufan 15 19,494 09-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Last Post: ayufan
  HDMI to VGA adapter for Android PineA64 tech support setup MarkHaysHarris777 0 2,394 08-06-2016, 12:47 PM
  hdmi_group CEA or DMT hdmi group specify uEnv.txt MarkHaysHarris777 2 4,971 07-01-2016, 08:23 AM
  No CEC over HDMI? utdrmac 2 5,599 03-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Last Post: utdrmac
  HDMI 3D, ARC + Ethernet Channels? bigmacattack 4 11,969 01-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Last Post: StefanB