Android Security
I am very happy with the android stock rom. The rock64 is a great device. The only concern is the security level of android. Android is the most used operating system now and so security is important because a lot of malware is out there. For me it would be very important that android has the latest security patches. The stock build has very old security patches, they are from april last year. I don't realy need a rooted android, for me a secure android would be more important.

Is there any one else who think so, or am i the only one?
(02-13-2018, 09:37 AM)isndw Wrote: I am very happy with the android stock rom. The rock64 is a great device. The only concern is the security level of android. Android is the most used operating system now and so security is important because a lot of malware is out there. For me it would be very important that android has the latest security patches. The stock build has very old security patches, they are from april last year. I don't realy need a rooted android, for me a secure android would be more important.

The stock Android 8 plan to release on March/April  time frame and security patch level will be revised accordingly.

For up to date security patch, prefer to try mainline Linux.
(02-14-2018, 05:50 PM)tllim Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 09:37 AM)isndw Wrote: I am very happy with the android stock rom. The rock64 is a great device. The only concern is the security level of android. Android is the most used operating system now and so security is important because a lot of malware is out there. For me it would be very important that android has the latest security patches. The stock build has very old security patches, they are from april last year. I don't realy need a rooted android, for me a secure android would be more important.

The stock Android 8 plan to release on March/April  time frame and security patch level will be revised accordingly.

For up to date security patch, prefer to try mainline Linux.

Hi, thank you tllim for your reply. Yes, i changed now to Linux. But there is the problem for now, that the graphic environment performs very slow. Android supports the rock64 better. Android is very fast compared to Linux, even with i3. It's because the binary blobs of rockchip, or? So for now, the only use case for the rock64 is as server without graphic environment or with android as mediacenter only connected to a local network.
One possability could be to run a debian chroot on android. Someone tried it?
With Android 8 the OS structure will be based on project treble. So it would be easier to apply the security patches, or?

For now i will give odroid c2 a try. Odroid c2 supports already GPU hardware acceleration under linux. Perhaps the rock64 will be also able to do this one time.
(02-23-2018, 02:40 AM)isndw Wrote: With Android 8 the OS structure will be based on project treble. So it would be easier to apply the security patches, or?

For now i will give odroid c2 a try. Odroid c2 supports already GPU hardware acceleration under linux. Perhaps the rock64 will be also able to do this one time.

It already does.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

On the wikipage:

State of software support for the hardware: UI using GPU --> no

Android works great, that is true. But for GNU/Linux it is still not working, or it is still undocumented.

I want to use the board for checking emails and for surfing the web. It works on android but very slow on i3 or mate.

For surfing the web android is not secure, for that android should have the monthly security patches. So for now i see for my purpose the board is not the right one. Yes it works good as server or as home media center, but not in my case. Perhaps it will change, we will see :-)
(02-23-2018, 06:20 AM)isndw Wrote: On the wikipage:

Android works great, that is true. But for GNU/Linux it is still not working, or it is still undocumented.

I want to use the board for checking emails and for surfing the web. It works on android but very slow on i3 or mate.

For surfing the web android is not secure, for that android should have the monthly security patches. So for now i see for my purpose the board is not the right one. Yes it works good as server or as home media center, but not in my case. Perhaps it will change, we will see :-)

Hello ,

Can you say who sbc board android have every monthly will update they security patches ?
Not to say sbc board android , we use the android phone some company is not every monthly to update ............................
Just to your said maybe we buy the android phone not safe ?
I know your worry android security and i  worry too but truly to see the android phone security patches will every monthly  update?   This is the ture.

Maybe i say is  wrong.
If I am wrong please correct my content , thank !

1. Use Pine64 Running Ubuntu 16.04 Web Server ( LAMP )

2. Use Pine64 Running Official Android 6  for Media player
3. Use Pine64 Running Volumio Digital Audio Player

(02-23-2018, 08:31 AM)joe Wrote:

Hello ,

Can you say who sbc board android have every monthly will update they security patches ?
Not to say sbc board android , we use the android phone some company is not every monthly to update ............................
I know your worry android security and i  worry too but truly to see the android phone security patches will every monthly  update?   This is the ture.

Maybe i say is  wrong.

Yes, that is the big problem android has, that there are many companies that do not apply the security patches. On GNU/Linux it is easy, you have the package manager to apply the updates, but android do not have this option. Android has monthly security patches and only some companies like Google, Samsung, LG etc. apply them regulary. For example LG has monthly updates for their high end phones and updates every 2 or 3 month for some mid-range phones. 2 or 3 month would be also enough, but the security patches for our board is already one year old. I am not an expert, i know in the past it was much work to make an update for android, but with android 8 and the project treble it could be easier, or?

For GNU/Linux i think the problem is the chip company, if they have the driver for an actual kernel. For example amlogic has this drivers for odroid c2. So there GNU/Linux performs well. For the rock64 i think we have to wait, or?
(02-23-2018, 10:08 AM)isndw Wrote:
(02-23-2018, 08:31 AM)joe Wrote:

Hello ,

Maybe i say is  wrong.

Yes, that is the big problem android has, that there are many companies that do not apply the security patches. On GNU/Linux it is easy, you have the package manager to apply the updates, but android do not have this option. Android has monthly security patches and only some companies like Google, Samsung, LG etc. apply them regulary. For example LG has monthly updates for their high end phones and updates every 2 or 3 month for some mid-range phones. 2 or 3 month would be also enough, but the security patches for our board is already one year old. I am not an expert, i know in the past it was much work to make an update for android, but with android 8 and the project treble it could be easier, or?

For GNU/Linux i think the problem is the chip company, if they have the driver for an actual kernel. For example amlogic has this drivers for odroid c2. So there GNU/Linux performs well. For the rock64 i think we have to wait, or?

You're right ! I Agree With you .

@ Tllim  for a pineA64 user offical android 6 two years no any update security ,  you  coming will update the security patches for android 6 or  new android 8?

[Image: giphy.gif]

You must been busy Big Grin
If I am wrong please correct my content , thank !

1. Use Pine64 Running Ubuntu 16.04 Web Server ( LAMP )

2. Use Pine64 Running Official Android 6  for Media player
3. Use Pine64 Running Volumio Digital Audio Player

The ROCK64 stock Android 8 targets to release on next two weeks. The PINE A64 will get Android 8 OS on late March, and PINE H64 will have first Android 7 OS release on next week.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 Android Oreo 8.1 TV-Install adventures (Now Android 9.0) Rocklobster 5 5,100 08-04-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  How do I prepare/put Android on an SD card using etcher cdotsubo3000 3 5,902 06-27-2021, 02:43 PM
Last Post: clach04
  Android and SD Card gigagames 2 4,474 06-27-2021, 02:38 PM
Last Post: clach04
  Android Images (ROCK64) pineadmin 73 166,804 05-04-2021, 01:58 AM
Last Post: zet_lab
  Android 9.0 and Pluto on Rock64-1G missdeenola 1 3,942 03-12-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Wizzard
  broken android microsd images jbach50 1 3,427 01-16-2021, 09:57 PM
Last Post: jimsurvak
  Android on Rock64 SD Problem ElBoluTony 3 5,884 10-07-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: ElBoluTony
  Error! Android Rockchip tools method BowerR64 0 2,528 09-18-2020, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BowerR64
Lightbulb Any older versions of Android for the Rock64? BowerR64 2 4,637 09-18-2020, 07:58 PM
  Can't boot android 9 on rock64 maks2204 5 8,627 09-09-2020, 08:44 AM