eMMC card on adapter
Hi.
I feel kinda stupid having to ask (and it's also a bit off topic), but I bought an USB-eMMC adapter for flashing the image for my new Rock64 and I really can't understand how the card is supposed to fit on the adapter. I bought it from, eBay here.

I know I should probably have bought the one from Pine, but I thought since I'm just gone use it one time... Anyway, is there different kind of eMMC connectors or what? Have I bought the wrong kind of adapter?

/Daniel
[url=https://www.ebay.com/itm/362179899379][/url]
Hi, there is no standard for eMMC connectors, since those get usually soldered directly on boards. So you usually have to get one that matches the modules you buy... the Pine64 modules use the same connector as the ODROID modules though... the one you bought is used to solder a eMMC on the backside...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(01-30-2018, 12:17 PM)xalius Wrote: Hi, there is no standard for eMMC connectors, since those get usually soldered directly on boards. So you usually have to get one that matches the modules you buy... the Pine64 modules use the same connector as the ODROID modules though... the one you bought is used to solder a eMMC on the backside...

Oh crap. That means I'll have to wait for another delivery from the other side of the globe before I can start playing with my new toy. Stupid!

Anyone knows if Pine64 or Hardkernel has the fastest deliveries to Europe?
(01-30-2018, 01:09 PM)Malmgren Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 12:17 PM)xalius Wrote: Hi, there is no standard for eMMC connectors, since those get usually soldered directly on boards. So you usually have to get one that matches the modules you buy... the Pine64 modules use the same connector as the ODROID modules though... the one you bought is used to solder a eMMC on the backside...

Oh crap. That means I'll have to wait for another delivery from the other side of the globe before I can start playing with my new toy. Stupid!

Anyone knows if Pine64 or Hardkernel has the fastest deliveries to Europe?

@Malmgren, will you attend FOSDEM? If the answer is yes, I can pass one to you.
(01-30-2018, 04:05 PM)tllim Wrote: @Malmgren, will you attend FOSDEM? If the answer is yes, I can pass one to you.

I would have loved that (both the attending bit and the passing bit Big Grin ) but nope. Thanks anyway! I'll simply have to wait...
Just for the record: Ordered the adapter from Hardkernel and received it today, less than a week later! So for anyone wanting an adapter fast I can recommend them. Not that I want to make advertisement for a competitor here ;-)
I have both the ODROID and the USB adapter, the ODROID sdcard breakout is nice too since you can use it for cardreaders and other things that only have a sdcard slot...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
Well, I'm back to "crap" again. Either the eMMC reader or the eMMC card itself seems to be broken. When I put it in, Windows disk management shows it as a device with 1GB space (it's a 64GB card) and when I try to do something with it the management freezes. Diskpart completely refuses to start while the card is inserted.

Also tried it with a Linux computer. Parted took about two minutes to start with the card inserted and then simply doesn't list it.

Things I've checked:
* Tried two different SD card readers, both working with other SD cards without problem.
* The eMMC reader is correctly inserted. It seems to be a nag higher than a normal SD card though so I have to apply some force to get it in
* The eMMC is correctly inserted in the reader

Where could I go from here?

edit: Ok, now it seems like the partitioning tools suddenly work with the device without hanging. They all still says it's 1 GB though. And Etcher simply says it's too small for the install image. Wtf???

edit2: I give up. Tried everything and it doesn't work. So I've ordered yet another eMMC adapter, this time the USB one from Pine64. Another 17 dollars and weeks of waiting, but then at least I'll know which company to blame...
Today I got my USB-eMMC adapter! And it works!

The adapter I ordered from Hardkernel arrived in six days. The adapter from Pine took six weeks. So to conclude: If you want an eMMC adapter fast, order it from Hardkernel. If you want an adapter that actually works, order it from Pine.

Now I'm off to continue installing my Rock64 Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  eMMC empty? bluedemon382 0 684 07-19-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: bluedemon382
  USB adapter to eMMC module not recognized danril 0 1,235 11-25-2022, 04:16 AM
Last Post: danril
  AC Adapter Which One? Pine64 A64 DB V1.1 2GB REV B (Year 2016) databaseprogrammer 2 3,351 06-17-2021, 05:35 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  How to boot from SD card on pinebook pro linux123 3 5,949 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: linux123
  micro sd card won't insert Samuel Venable 2 4,386 09-01-2020, 12:15 AM
Last Post: Samuel Venable
  SD Card boot - trying out OS Baconomics 1 4,286 06-19-2020, 06:58 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  How to flash Focal Gnome to EMMC cyphr3x 0 2,085 06-05-2020, 02:06 PM
Last Post: cyphr3x
  How to boot from the SD card and install to eMMC? ravanh 2 6,365 03-18-2020, 09:42 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  recommended micro sd card ? mronhb 91 210,337 03-03-2020, 11:34 PM
Last Post: siyatalerja
  USB C hub and Ethernet adapter jaysistar 3 6,124 01-20-2020, 04:07 PM
Last Post: belfastraven