USB 3.0 Portable HDD - Suggestions
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a large portable HDD.  There is a WD 3TB USB elements portable that looks ideal.  I've been reading about USB 3 performance on the rock64 and how there is a JM chipset that gives best performance.

I wanted to ask other users what suggestions / experiences they have with USB 3 drives and throughput / reliability before buying a drive.

My rock64 will be an always on box and a NAS.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, not sure what sort of performance you will get out of that WD drive. I managed to saturate the GbE using a barracuda 2TB drive, with read and write speeds holding stable in the ~90 MB/s region. I wouldn't expect that WD drive to perform quite as well, but then again you should ask yourself if you really need that sort of performance from your NAS on a daily basis. Perhaps the ~65-75MB/s transfer speeds (thats what I get from my regular WB 2.5" drive) will be enough for you and your use-case.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(01-10-2018, 06:09 AM)Luke Wrote: Hi, not sure what sort of performance you will get out of that WD drive. I managed to saturate the GbE using a barracuda 2TB drive, with read and write speeds holding stable in the ~90 MB/s region. I wouldn't expect that WD drive to perform quite as well, but then again you should ask yourself if you really need that sort of performance from your NAS on a daily basis. Perhaps the ~65-75MB/s transfer speeds (thats what I get from my regular WB 2.5" drive) will be enough for you and your use-case.

Thanks Luke.

My NAS will be cruising most of the time, just on the odd occasion when I want to copy something to or from it from my QNAP, I just want the performance to be an improvement over my Banana Pi 2 SATA performance of 35MB/s.  Having read some posts about JMicron controllers being the best of Armbian, but wanting to buy an off the shelf 2.5 " USB portable drive rather than separate case and drive, I wanted to be sure they perform well.

PS Not sure whether this should have been posted in the Hardware section of the forum. Happy to move it.
Got my rock64 and put xenial minimal arm64 0.6.15 image on it. Mounted a USB 3.0 portable seagate 1.5TB to the usb3 port and tried a copy of a file over to it. Was really dissapointed to see a copy speed of just 27MB/s Disk is already formatted to NTFS and have ntfs-3g installed on it. Any suggestions other than ext4?

thanks.
Please try this image are report back. Also, what OS are you running on your PC ?

[edit] Also see my response here

I have a WD "MyBook" which I repartitioned/reformatted with one NTFS partition and one Ext4.

I use ntfs-3g when mounting the NTFS partition so I can change file attributes and to write it from Linux.

No issues, seems to work fine with Debian Minimal and Mate.
Good news. I had another go copying and it maxed out at 95Mbps copying. It did drop briefly but that is a great read speed. Write speed needs more testing. So I am still on 0.6.15 xenial arm64. Pc is win10.

I see 0.6.16 has usb3 set to high speed when U-boot is used. Not sure if I am using that on mine. Just standard install with etcher on a micro sd.
Let me just point out one thing. While there are many new thing's in 0.6.X images, 0.5.15 is the release version. So if you just want a working NAS, then please stick to the release image. If you're happy to experiment, test, and offer feedback then use the pre-release images by all means.

Understood. I did read ayufan was asking to make 0.6 the new stable in an earlier thread, so giving it a spin. Happy to give feedback on any issues i run in to.