Linux Kernal Development - BETA Boards
Hi,

I recently installed debian on Android HW (some smartphones), reusing only Android kernel and modifying it to make a Linux box.
I'm also interested on porting some distros like recalbox or retropie, gaming based.

If interested on some linux skills, PM me.
Regards,
drag00n
Hey Folks,
I have some experience with low-level programming (kernel, hypervisor on x86) and some experience with arm ( v7 with RPi and Jetson TK1, v8 with rockchip3368 based boxes).
Pledged for a board if you could bump my delivery I would spend some cycles on getting it to work
Cheers
I would like to help getting Linux started on the Pine64. In the past I contributed to the Linux kernel, XOrg, u-boot as well as several other projects. I have a very good knowledge about hardware bringup an lowlevel/driver programming (as thats what I get paid for) and also have the equipment (MSOs, LAs) to debug stuff at the hardware level, which might be needed for e.g. I2S support.

Kind regards, Stefan
Hi,

I have some questions about video codec.

1. Video codec only support H.264 & H.265? Any other codecs are not supported?

2. Can I use codecs directly?
Can I access kernel driver interface of H.265 and H.264 directly?
Other platforms are only supported that gstreamer use OMX IL. But I want to use HW codec directly on ffmpeg.
Can I do that?
I'm interested in porting OpenELEC to the PineA64.
JFTR: Still nobody managed to get Linux running on A64:

http://linux-sunxi.org/Pine64#BSP
http://irclog.whitequark.org/linux-sunxi...4#15188515;
(01-14-2016, 05:24 AM)Galileo Wrote: JFTR: Still nobody managed to get Linux running on A64:

Considering very few devs actually have the boards yet, that's not surprising. I have no inside info, but it's probably just the 2 cards from an earlier batch pine64 promised sunxi devs. Mine is still sitting in customs.

-p
(01-14-2016, 06:31 AM)paulieg Wrote:
(01-14-2016, 05:24 AM)Galileo Wrote: JFTR: Still nobody managed to get Linux running on A64:

Considering very few devs actually have the boards yet, that's not surprising.

You're not surprised by the obvious fact that no-one before booted Linux on this thing? Not even Allwinner itself?

That's just based on reading the IRC log for quite some time and getting the impression that the persons chatting there know what they're talking about. I would've thought that it's as easy as 'boot kernel and choose whatever rootfs you want'. But reading about trusted firmware, firmware/u-boot being 32-bit and containing 'nasty' patches, entering the kernel in EL3 mode (which seems to be forbidden) therefore violating the arm64 boot protocol preventing upstream kernels to boot... (and much other stuff I've no clue of) it doesn't look that good to me.

Especially that several people reported that the SDK from the Pine's wiki pages seems to be broken and no-one took care of...
(01-14-2016, 08:32 AM)Galileo Wrote:
(01-14-2016, 06:31 AM)paulieg Wrote:

Considering very few devs actually have the boards yet, that's not surprising.

You're not surprised by the obvious fact that no-one before booted Linux on this thing? Not even Allwinner itself?

That's just based on reading the IRC log for quite some time and getting the impression that the persons chatting there know what they're talking about. I would've thought that it's as easy as 'boot kernel and choose whatever rootfs you want'. But reading about trusted firmware, firmware/u-boot being 32-bit and containing 'nasty' patches, entering the kernel in EL3 mode (which seems to be forbidden) therefore violating the arm64 boot protocol preventing upstream kernels to boot... (and much other stuff I've no clue of) it doesn't look that good to me.

Especially that several people reported that the SDK from the Pine's wiki pages seems to be broken and no-one took care of...
I will check out the broken SDK link at wiki page and correct in 24 hours.
(01-14-2016, 08:32 AM)Galileo Wrote: You're not surprised by the obvious fact that no-one before booted Linux on this thing?

No, I am not surprised that no one has booted Linux kernel+userspace on a device that is not yet available.

Quote: Not even Allwinner itself?

Allwinner makes SoCs for use with Android. Why should they try to boot a Linux userspace? I'll repeat myself again - Android = linux kernel. Getting a rootfs of your choice working is a matter of kludging it to support the older patched kernel we get from Allwinner.

Quote:That's just based on reading the IRC log for quite some time and getting the impression that the persons chatting there know what they're talking about. I would've thought that it's as easy as 'boot kernel and choose whatever rootfs you want'. But reading about trusted firmware, firmware/u-boot being 32-bit and containing 'nasty' patches, entering the kernel in EL3 mode (which seems to be forbidden) therefore violating the arm64 boot protocol preventing upstream kernels to boot... (and much other stuff I've no clue of) it doesn't look that good to me.

No, it is not as easy as that. For one, you need to have the board and few if any do. Secondly, certain things like the current systemd demand kernel > 3.7 so that needs to be fixed. None of this is point and click stuff. It isn't rocket surgery either unless there are especially nasty surprises, but it does take skill not all of the people who've applied for dev boards have.

ARMv8 has the trusted firmware feature, yes, but I've heard no reports of ARM goons showing up at devs' houses, pointing a gun at their heads and forcing them to use it. The idea that mainline Uboot is the paragon of excellence in software engineering and all vendors do is mess up its timeless elegance is nonsense. Uboot is ugly to begin with. I'm sure Allwinner made it uglier. The point is a linux kernel Allwinner provides boots with the uboot Allwinner provides. For initial support, that's all we need. Beyond that, sure enough, there (may) be dragons.

That particular issue with the arm boot protocol is just one of many that will prevent you from booting a mainline kernel. Even if it didn't exist, you'd need to either back out Allwinner's changes or rewrite them, forward port them and submit patches to mainline. That's a bunch of work and not quick by any means. As such, the funky boot stuff is not a blocker until everything else is resolved.

Quote:Especially that several people reported that the SDK from the Pine's wiki pages seems to be broken and no-one took care of...

You mean the BSP, surely. There's one guy who said he couldn't get it to compile. We know nothing about what that means precisely and the level of clue of the individual involved. The BSP could be broken, or his toolchain could be, or both. Perhaps there's a clue deficit involved. We just don't know.

I understand your anxiety. I agree that not everyone will get everything they want (mainline support, hw acceleration) all at once and right away. However, I caution against panicking because you've read something you half understand somewhere. If android runs, linux will run barring some miracle. It'll be an Allwinner uboot+kernel, but it'll run.

Linux will definitely NOT boot until someone with clue:
1. receives the board
2. puts in a bit of work

This is not surprising. Don't panic and make sure you know where your towel is. (HHGTTG)

-p

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEMS Linux 1.5 Released for A64/A64+, A64-LTS/SOPine, Rock64, RockPro64 (NAGIOS) Baldnerd 4 9,071 03-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Last Post: ty1911
  Howto run Linux with resolution other than 1080p longsleep 28 65,585 06-13-2019, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Nilda
  NEMS Linux for Pine A64 (+) Luke 1 5,019 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: pineadmin
  Pine Board using linux stuck during boot sequence ktaragorn 4 8,041 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ktaragorn
  Gentoo Linux test image xalius 23 47,858 01-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Last Post: necrose99
  +LTS/SOPINE +PINEBOOK Mainline Armbian for A64 boards Luke 0 2,526 01-12-2019, 06:35 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Real-time linux kernel Artyom 45 70,806 09-11-2018, 01:08 AM
Last Post: zzwpine
  linux distribution hazerty 3 5,999 04-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Last Post: dkryder
  Linux Web Server OS harcrow 2 5,706 01-30-2018, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Rustproof
  eta linux image?? firosiro 1 3,982 08-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Last Post: pfeerick