Is android fluid on your pine?
Hi, i just installed android 5 on a pineA64+ 1GB, and it works but daim it's so slow and not reactive, it freeze every time i try do something it took like 1 minute to open the parameters and then it crashed when i tried to open the "about device"section. I suggest it's the microSD that is daim slow (8MB/s write and 16 Read) but seriously even with a slow sd card it should not be this laggy and unstable, am i the only one?
(04-01-2016, 12:52 AM)lucassou Wrote: (8MB/s write and 16 Read) but seriously even with a slow sd card it should not be this laggy and unstable, am i the only one?

The numbers you posted are absolutely irrelevant since they're about sequential transfer speeds and in case you haven't tested them on your own and they're just written on the card or the packaging they might even not be true at all.

What you experience is an ultra slow SD card regarding random I/O (maybe a counterfeit card). I don't get why the Pine64 folks do not warn their users that they should always check SD cards prior to usage. This wrongly labeled Wiki entry here isn't enough: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...eit_Drives

Android devices are shipped normally with an internal NAND or eMMC storage that shows pretty high random I/O performance. When you choose a cheap SD card instead random I/O might be 50 to hundred times slower. And that's what you're currently suffering from.
(04-01-2016, 12:58 AM)Andrew2 Wrote:
(04-01-2016, 12:52 AM)lucassou Wrote: (8MB/s write and 16 Read) but seriously even with a slow sd card it should not be this laggy and unstable, am i the only one?

The numbers you posted are absolutely irrelevant since they're about sequential transfer speeds and in case you haven't tested them on your own and they're just written on the card or the packaging they might even not be true at all.

What you experience is an ultra slow SD card regarding random I/O (maybe a counterfeit card). I don't get why the Pine64 folks do not warn their users that they should always check SD cards prior to usage. This wrongly labeled Wiki entry here isn't enough: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...eit_Drives

Android devices are shipped normally with an internal NAND or eMMC storage that shows pretty high random I/O performance. When you choose a cheap SD card instead random I/O might be 50 to hundred times slower. And that's what you're currently suffering from.

Oh alright, the brand of the card isn't even written on it so i guess it's some shitty stuff that i found deep down in a drawer, i bought a new one (samsung evo class 10 32GB) i should receive it today or tomorrow. I didn't know fake sd card was a thing, i'il check the new one when i receive it but i bought it on a very reliable online shop so it should be alright. Thanks for your help Smile
(04-01-2016, 01:06 AM)lucassou Wrote: Oh alright, the brand of the card isn't even written on it so i guess it's some shitty stuff that i found deep down in a drawer, i bought a new one (samsung evo class 10 32GB) i should receive it today or tomorrow. I didn't know fake sd card was a thing, i'il check the new one when i receive it but i bought it on a very reliable online shop so it should be alright.

You get fake cards from everywhere since they are inserted into the supply chain pretty early. Therefore always test your card before you use it. A genuine Samsung EVO with 32GB should show decent performance (compare with this thread to get the relationship between capacity and random I/O performance when choosing recommended vendors like SanDisk or Samsung).

Please report back how things evolve and whether the currently used card is broken or not.
(04-01-2016, 12:52 AM)lucassou Wrote: i bought a new one (samsung evo class 10 32GB) i should receive it today or tomorrow. I didn't know fake sd card was a thing, i'il check the new one when i receive it but i bought it on a very reliable online shop so it should be alright. Thanks for your help Smile

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
So i'm testing the sd card right know with H2testw but it will take one hour. I have tested i get 16MB/s of reading and 6MB/s writing (sequential). But only 0.48MB/s of writing with random i/o.
I installed the Android build on my 64GB Sandisk Extreme Plus UHS 3 microSD card and it wasn't a super smooth experience I was hoping for. Overall everything felt slightly sluggish and laggy. Button clicks felt slightly delayed and Android seemed very buggy, multiple times I would get the "system UI has stopped working", Google play would force close like 3 out of 10 times. I'm hoping that in time, with newer builds it will get better but right now it's so unstable it's really unusable for me. By the way I have the 2GB board.
(04-01-2016, 01:22 PM)gtpboy Wrote: I installed the Android build on my 64GB Sandisk Extreme Plus UHS 3 microSD card and it wasn't a super smooth experience I was hoping for. Overall everything felt slightly sluggish and laggy. Button clicks felt slightly delayed and Android seemed very buggy, multiple times I would get the "system UI has stopped working", Google play would force close like 3 out of 10 times. I'm hoping that in time, with newer builds it will get better but right now it's so unstable it's really unusable for me. By the way I have the 2GB board.
Seems like there is background process hogging CPU resource. In general, 2GB runs Android smoothly. When the first time boot up, the Android can be sluggish for few minutes on some process initial setup. However, the sluggishness should be gone in 10 minutes time. If still happen, this means something goes wrong during initialization time, and I suggest reinstall teh Android build again.
alright i installed android on the new sd card and now it's much more fluid than before. The connection speed is slow tho... I have a 100mb/s but i only get 3 or 4 on the pine, it's connected via the ethernet cable, i'il have to change it to see if it's the cable that have a problem.
I had to re-mount the image and the 3rd time seems to be the charm the overall performance is very smooth and fluid, but I am still getting the system UI has stopped and occasional launcher has stopped errors. The only problems I'm having now are with apps not working or not working smoothly. HBO GO and Max GO just will not stream anything they don't tell me they don't support HDMI Video output, they just say "cannot play content, please try again later". The Showtime Anytime and Time Warner TV apps don't allow HDMI video output. Unfortunately none of the apps that I hoping to use on this work at the moment, except for Emby that did work and it works perfectly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android 6.0 Tablet and TV (release candidate, maintained) ayufan 228 381,893 12-29-2020, 01:13 AM
Last Post: firmwarefile
Shocked Remote for Android? liodra 18 29,173 12-23-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Adding an accelerometer to Android modsbyus 11 16,534 11-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Little_Johnny
  Android Things OS dqvsra 2 6,872 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Last Post: hangglider
  Is there another link for Android images? Maalth 3 6,937 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Android SDK Oreo NGC6691 2 5,523 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Putting Android 9 RockPro64 source into easier to manage repositories dazza5000 0 3,291 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Bliss OS (PINE A64(+)) pineadmin 4 12,300 06-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: nukedawg
  Android 5.1.1 TV (old-stable, no longer maintained) ayufan 194 253,900 03-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: neosapien
  Issues with SD Card and Running Android Twistedx 0 3,495 02-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Twistedx