Compiling and installing Wifi driver
more and more attention is directed onto selling. if only support was paying that much attention..
(09-10-2017, 10:06 AM)skyway Wrote: more and more attention is directed onto selling. if only support was paying that much attention..

Actually was just thinking its a community thing as presume they have there hands full.

Opening up to maybe some of the mods and asking for submissions might be of help.

The formatting and presentation in the forum is crap but an open wiki with mods just like the forum should be self capable and be of much use to many.
it's pretty convenient that wifi dongle wich is sold by Pine64 has drivers on the rock64.. others don't.. :-?
(09-11-2017, 08:48 AM)skyway Wrote: it's pretty convenient that wifi dongle wich is sold by Pine64 has drivers on the rock64.. others don't.. :-?

It doesn't take all that much imagination to realize why it was one of the first to be included.
A lot of work is being done with the device DTS trees on a relatively new SoC and guess they will come online but likely a rockchip offering rather than pine.
I keep seeing a lot of google / rockchip updates and kernel patches so guess with all the changes Pine has to wait.

Haven't got my board yet but sort of expecting these to all come online.
Would be good to publish the chipset set of the store wifi module as until complete support at least the community will know what does work.

Wiki could do with a bit of work on these areas.

http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_i...Linux-4.14

The Rock64 has been included into Linux 4.14 LTS kernel and mainline support should start merging with Pine specific support to create complete support.
Its just very new and we need to wait and see.
(09-10-2017, 08:02 AM)stuartiannaylor Wrote: Not sure why there isn't more community input to the Wiki.
The current wiki is extremely sparse and much of the forum is lost in time, like forums do.

Collaboration could assist the few in many areas and it is a shame that doesn't seem to be employed.

The state of the wiki will be remedied in time. But sparse ?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

btw. the questioned driver should be part of the kernel already,

you only may need to install `firmware-realtek` to have binary blobs

You can find a bunch of cherry-picked kernel patches on top of mainline kernel with dts added and updated: https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-mainline-kernel
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
(09-12-2017, 02:04 AM)Luke Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 08:02 AM)stuartiannaylor Wrote: Not sure why there isn't more community input to the Wiki.
The current wiki is extremely sparse and much of the forum is lost in time, like forums do.

Collaboration could assist the few in many areas and it is a shame that doesn't seem to be employed.

Yeah the great info that has been discussed in the community has been of great quality and quantity and some of it has stickies.
A huge array of topics have been discussed and I have been learning along the way by reading the forum.
Problem is much in the forum is lost in time and there is an absolute lack of forum references in the wiki, which prob should be converted to better looking wiki entries when there is time.

The Rock64 has a singular page, infact huge long hard to navigate singular pages seems to be the default.
I am guessing some people have took pride wearing certain hats whilst forgetting what a powerful tool collaboration and shared workload can be.
Even oDroid has a more comprehensive wiki, but if you ever want to get to the A+ Class of opensource then the information that makes a product is actually just as important, maybe more especially in maker/opensource environs.

Really the forum is lacking one hugely important mechanism which is a community feedback metric, post vote or like as that would be a quick and easy way to evaluate what is of importance. Value to the community.
That should be used to build up a wiki as the community and product grows.

Ayufan should definitely be able to edit the wiki and create pages linking to github as it would be mutually beneficial to stop repetitive queries.
Its so long ago that I used mediawiki that I can not remember how the permissions nesting works and if users should be just allowed to create entries on there user page before being added to the main wiki.
I mention Ayufan as there are a couple of extremely knowledgeable community members who are compiling and testing and tweaking and they have to share info an collaborate so why not allow them a shared section of the wiki for community images and compiling.
Whilst they are doing there stuff with very little overhead they could be creating a really comprehensive wiki as they go along and collaborate.
This is mutually beneficial as it will stop a series of repetitive compiling questions.

Yeah the wiki is extremely sparse to what it could be and if you want to have a look at some good wiki's look at Arch Linux as I love that distro because its Wiki is A+++ its just tremendous and why its such a good distro.

The lost in time river of information that is a forum is a really bad why to present information, but its a great tool to initialize and kickstart content and get community feedback and collaboration.
The hardware info, maker bodges from markus also deserve wiki entries as you can not continue to create stickies as it will just make an unreadable forum as many actually are.

So to conclude yes the wiki is sparse, too much great info is retained in the forum and the forum lacks a peer review method from the community and at a guess wiki permissions are too few with little nesting.
(09-12-2017, 07:46 AM)stuartiannaylor Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 02:04 AM)Luke Wrote:

Yeah the great info that has been discussed in the community has been of great quality and quantity and some of it has stickies.
A huge array of topics have been discussed and I have been learning along the way by reading the forum.
Problem is much in the forum is lost in time and there is an absolute lack of forum references in the wiki, which prob should be converted to better looking wiki entries when there is time.

The Rock64 has a singular page, infact huge long hard to navigate singular pages seems to be the default.
I am guessing some people have took pride wearing certain hats whilst forgetting what a powerful tool collaboration and shared workload can be.
Even oDroid has a more comprehensive wiki, but if you ever want to get to the A+ Class of opensource then the information that makes a product is actually just as important, maybe more especially in maker/opensource environs.

Really the forum is lacking one hugely important mechanism which is a community feedback metric, post vote or like as that would be a quick and easy way to evaluate what is of importance. Value to the community.
That should be used to build up a wiki as the community and product grows.

Ayufan should definitely be able to edit the wiki and create pages linking to github as it would be mutually beneficial to stop repetitive queries.
Its so long ago that I used mediawiki that I can not remember how the permissions nesting works and if users should be just allowed to create entries on there user page before being added to the main wiki.
I mention Ayufan as there are a couple of extremely knowledgeable community members who are compiling and testing and tweaking and they have to share info an collaborate so why not allow them a shared section of the wiki for community images and compiling.
Whilst they are doing there stuff with very little overhead they could be creating a really comprehensive wiki as they go along and collaborate.
This is mutually beneficial as it will stop a series of repetitive compiling questions.

Yeah the wiki is extremely sparse to what it could be and if you want to have a look at some good wiki's look at Arch Linux as I love that distro because its Wiki is A+++ its just tremendous and why its such a good distro.

The lost in time river of information that is a forum is a really bad why to present information, but its a great tool to initialize and kickstart content and get community feedback and collaboration.
The hardware info, maker bodges from markus also deserve wiki entries as you can not continue to create stickies as it will just make an unreadable forum as many actually are.

So to conclude yes the wiki is sparse, too much great info is retained in the forum and the forum lacks a peer review method from the community and at a guess wiki permissions are too few with little nesting.
Totally agreed that the current PINE64 wiki site is sparse and I also don't like the current wiki setup. The current wiki is kind of "lock down" type and not allow for community to contribute.
Regarding the Arch Linux wiki page, are you referring to this site (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_page)? We don't have the resource to rebuild a wiki site from ground zero and prefer looking for a commercial available wiki package to jump start.
(09-13-2017, 10:51 AM)tllim Wrote: Totally agreed that the current PINE64 wiki site is sparse and I also don't like the current wiki setup. The current wiki is kind of "lock down" type and not allow for community to contribute.  
Regarding the Arch Linux wiki page, are you referring to this site (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_page)? We don't have the resource to rebuild a wiki site from ground zero and prefer looking for a commercial available wiki package to jump start.

Mediawiki is supposed to be really good, my memory long term is really bad as installed it a couple of years ago and can not remember a thing.

Yeah its the content of the archlinux wiki its just top drawer and made me a big fan of archlinux after you get past the relatively steep learning curve of installing.
Big fan of archlinux and often its their wiki I am consulting with other distro's.

Back to mediawiki and this forum does it have any oauth plugins where it could be a oauth provider to the current mediawiki and allow users to have user pages.
They can link back to the forum in the guides section and if they get some 'likes' it would be easy to publish as a main article.
[EDIT] had a look and it doesn't you could just create a database trigger on new users as the username, passord and salt is often easy to replicate.
Or maybe its use the MyBB wiki plugin but have no idea how good it is.

I will do some reading on mediawiki and maybe set one up and see if any vague memories come back but mediawiki is very much the daddy of wiki software but its how you set it up and the extensions you use that makes it.

If mediawiki can provide wikipedia I am sure we could get something that will allow access in a similar way with a hierarchy of bureaucrats & editors and we all start as lowly users with only user page access.

I did set it up once and can not remember a damn thing apart from it took a bit to get my head round the permission concepts.
Thing is also posts on here could benefit from community feedback and there is no peer review method and I am sure there is a plugin or extension that would enable it.
Sure there is a rating mechanism never used mybb but its very similar to SMF (Simple Machines Forum) and that had a rake of plugins and methods for user post feedback.
MyBB seems a bit shy of functions maybe ProStats, Thank You/Like System+MyAlerts & Tapatalk support, maybe use the wiki plugin for mybb https://github.com/Krytic/MyBBWiki
Can not find a markdown editor for mybb though...

The archlinux wiki is also mediawiki...

Alternatives

https://github.com/parasew/instiki
https://www.dokuwiki.org
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome
https://www.bookstackapp.com/
(09-13-2017, 11:17 PM)stuartiannaylor Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 10:51 AM)tllim Wrote: Totally agreed that the current PINE64 wiki site is sparse and I also don't like the current wiki setup. The current wiki is kind of "lock down" type and not allow for community to contribute.  

Mediawiki is supposed to be really good, my memory long term is really bad as installed it a couple of years ago and can not remember a thing.

Yeah its the content of the archlinux wiki its just top drawer and made me a big fan of archlinux after you get past the relatively steep learning curve of installing.
Big fan of archlinux and often its their wiki I am consulting with other distro's.

Back to mediawiki and this forum does it have any oauth plugins where it could be a oauth provider to the current mediawiki and allow users to have user pages.
They can link back to the forum in the guides section and if they get some 'likes' it would be easy to publish as a main article.
[EDIT] had a look and it doesn't you could just create a database trigger on new users as the username, passord and salt is often easy to replicate.
Or maybe its use the MyBB wiki plugin but have no idea how good it is.

I will do some reading on mediawiki and maybe set one up and see if any vague memories come back but mediawiki is very much the daddy of wiki software but its how you set it up and the extensions you use that makes it.

If mediawiki can provide wikipedia I am sure we could get something that will allow access in a similar way with a hierarchy of bureaucrats & editors and we all start as lowly users with only user page access.

I did set it up once and can not remember a damn thing apart from it took a bit to get my head round the permission concepts.
Thing is also posts on here could benefit from community feedback and there is no peer review method and I am sure there is a plugin or extension that would enable it.
Sure there is a rating mechanism never used mybb but its very similar to SMF (Simple Machines Forum) and that had a rake of plugins and methods for user post feedback.
MyBB seems a bit shy of functions maybe ProStats, Thank You/Like System+MyAlerts & Tapatalk support, maybe use the wiki plugin for mybb https://github.com/Krytic/MyBBWiki
Can not find a markdown editor for mybb though...

The archlinux wiki is also mediawiki...

Alternatives

https://github.com/parasew/instiki
https://www.dokuwiki.org
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome
https://www.bookstackapp.com/

Thanks on the suggestion and we will check on the mediawiki first. I also feel sad about a lot of information sparse around forum and not properly gather up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing DietPie on Rock64 and set 1280x1024 resolution Dape97 2 3,745 05-26-2020, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Dape97
  on-board ethernet driver michaelanburaj 0 1,827 03-26-2020, 12:01 PM
Last Post: michaelanburaj
  Ayufan Debian Stretch Openmediavault 4 5G Wifi Not Connecting Poincare 0 2,230 03-26-2019, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Poincare
  Can't connect to wifi on a Rock64 SuperSaiyanCaleb 2 4,090 12-18-2018, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SuperSaiyanCaleb
Lightbulb Wifi problem Nether494 13 17,145 11-28-2018, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Nether494
  8812au wifi driver OS pane 9 10,719 11-19-2018, 02:46 AM
Last Post: pane
  Freeze/reboot/errors when compiling - unable to make - reproducible and not isolated jovval 2 3,810 10-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Last Post: jovval
  WiFi on Armbian problem scalextrix 14 17,479 09-08-2018, 01:13 AM
Last Post: scalextrix
  If installing free software system which devices will not work? heocb 6 6,751 08-17-2018, 09:42 AM
Last Post: heocb
  Rock64: Debian root fs on software RAID1 of eMMC and microSD - is installing it the s jovval 2 3,678 08-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: jovval