PS1 Case project
My plan is to use an old PS1 case and controllers with the Pine64+.  It will be used as a PC and an game emulator.

[Image: 25516891653_731dc23de8_c.jpg]

I've gutted the case except for the power supply and the the input slot for memory and controllers.  The PS has an 8v line I've attached to a DC-DC step down 5V.  The nice thing about this is I can still use the actual power button and rest.

I've added a pig tail added for LAN port.  Waiting on HDMI pigtail from ebay.  

Siimple USB hub is being used to attach external storage.  Paper printout is standing in for Pine unit.

[Image: 26093586936_fd8b0477e5_c.jpg]

The front ports for the PS1/PS2 controllers will run through a USB adapter.  I hope this works, as I have no way of testing it.
[Image: 25846678300_931ecaf886_c.jpg]

I'm also working on converting the standard PS1 memory modual into a USB SD card reader.  While still plugging into the front of the PS1.  I used an old ISA card edge modem instead of destroying the existing memory card.

[Image: 26094136646_0677b7578e_b.jpg]
Nice Case Idea...
By the way, you may be better off powering the board using the IO pins instead of the micro USB power port.

And don't forget to add heat sinks and additional fan(s) for venting as the box will be closed and may run hotter otherwise.
Looks nice.!

Sent from my HUAWEI Y530 using Tapatalk
By. Zoidiano0!
Installed:
LAMP: Linux , Apache2.4 , Mariadb, phpMyadmin, PHP5 
Java 8 arm by oracle
Netbeans 8.1
chromium (uses way toooo much Ram)

Pine64 Head Unit Project.!
(03-29-2016, 01:50 PM)HeadShot Wrote: My plan is to use an old PS1 case and controllers with the Pine64+.  It will be used as a PC and an game emulator.

[Image: 25516891653_731dc23de8_c.jpg]

I've gutted the case except for the power supply and the the input slot for memory and controllers.  The PS has an 8v line I've attached to a DC-DC step down 5V.  The nice thing about this is I can still use the actual power button and rest.

I've added a pig tail added for LAN port.  Waiting on HDMI pigtail from ebay.  

Siimple USB hub is being used to attach external storage.  Paper printout is standing in for Pine unit.

[Image: 26093586936_fd8b0477e5_c.jpg]

The front ports for the PS1/PS2 controllers will run through a USB adapter.  I hope this works, as I have no way of testing it.
[Image: 25846678300_931ecaf886_c.jpg]

I'm also working on converting the standard PS1 memory modual into a USB SD card reader.  While still plugging into the front of the PS1.  I used an old ISA card edge modem instead of destroying the existing memory card.

[Image: 26094136646_0677b7578e_b.jpg]
I likes this :-)
Look cool! If it all works with the Pine, i might do something similar with my old PS1.
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
(03-29-2016, 02:42 PM)ViperVi Wrote: Nice Case Idea...
By the way, you may be better off powering the board using the IO pins instead of the micro USB power port.

And don't forget to add heat sinks and additional fan(s) for venting as the box will be closed and may run hotter otherwise.

Very good points,  thank you.   I've looked for a diagram of pinout but can't find one that shows which Pins would be used for direct powering of the board.  Can you help with that?

I've got some small AL heat sinks laying around I can use.  I've just put a small fan in the area where the CD reader was.  If it gets too hot I'll open the lid Smile
(03-16-2016, 01:21 AM)Andrew2 Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 11:22 PM)SkimMilk Wrote: 1500ma = 1.5A, which is not sufficient to power the Pine.

1.5A are more than enough for normal workloads. But as you already pointed out using 'intelligent chargers' that provide 500mA max to 'dumb' devices and more only if the device in question speaks any of the USB power delivery languages (which the Pine does not on its DC-IN connector) might be part of the problem.

The other problem are USB cables that show resistance way too high (which the Pine's AXP803 PMIC is able to tolerate somewhat but will lead to crashes/deadlocks when sudden load peaks happen).

A big 'thank you' to the Raspberry Pi foundation that invented one of the most moronic ideas ever 4 years ago (unfortunately picked up by many other board makers later): To be able to power a device reliably through Micro USB. The problems are well known and unless you use a dedicated good PSU with fixed cable you can never be sure whether you suffer from powering problems or not when you run in any sort of stability problems.

We did some heavy testing the last days with workloads no normal user will ever be able to create (testing reliability and voltage settings for Pine). Without the ability to power the Pine also through the Euler connector I wouldn't been able to test the higher clockspeeds:

[Image: 0ad66d40-e7a2-11e5-8b14-436e58e95bae.jpg]

No worries: You won't need heatsinks for normal useage. This is all just a test setup to be able to deadlock the board when overclocked. But fortunately the Pine folks already started a collaboration with a heatsink vendor and will provide one later that fits on SoC/DRAM. This is just to illustrate where to inject 5V (red) and GND (black) on the Euler connector.

Read this post above. It may help.

But be very careful when using these pins to power the board. If you connect on wrong pins it may fry the board.

Or look at this thread with more details for powering the board using the GPIO pins.

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...pins+power
This looks very interesting. I wanted to use an old NES, but I rather like the idea of using a PS1 instead. Though, maybe I'll use a PS2.

EDIT: I actually just remember that I have one or two translucent orange PS1 shells in the closet. Might use one of those.
I've got a blue one, but it's still housing the original innards, and I don't plan on changing that, lol.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question ABS Playbox case assembly? Axeman098 3 7,027 09-03-2016, 08:15 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Pine A64 - Android Game station project octopus 22 37,239 07-19-2016, 01:15 AM
Last Post: octopus