Need Display Config Help
Where do I go for display configuration?
(08-17-2017, 05:39 PM)Bluesman Wrote: Where do I go for display configuration?

If you're connecting via HDMI, the distributions on this page should support the display : 

http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCK64_Main_Page

If you wish to ask questions about a specific distro, you should have better luck here: 

https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=88
(08-17-2017, 05:39 PM)Bluesman Wrote: Where do I go for display configuration?

What are you asking for specifically ? If you are asking about resolution and refresh hz then you can set them from the desktop.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I finally had time to bring up my Rock64-4GB board. Burned the latest ayufan Mate (non-emmc) image to uSd and all went well with one exception. My favorite monitors are a pair of 1600x1200 displays. The Rock64 only allows 800x600. There are no additional options in the Settings->Display utility. It recognizes the HP device. Is there a way to force the 1600x1200 at boot?
I have issues with hdmi output on my rock64.

I'm connecting rock64 to Waveshare 7 inch LCD (1024x600) by HDMI cable, but I can see only part of output:
[Image: gQZuPYa.jpg]

Tested with almost all available images (with or without desktop): Debian, DietPi, Ubuntu.

fbset -v output

mode "800x600"
    geometry 800 600 800 600 32
    timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    accel true
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
endmode

LCD is working fine with other boards (RPI3, RPI2).
HDMI output to LG TV (1980 x 1080) also works fine.

Does any one know what can cause the above issue?
(10-17-2017, 09:09 AM)joseph Wrote: I finally had time to bring up my Rock64-4GB board. Burned the latest ayufan Mate (non-emmc) image to uSd and all went well with one exception. My favorite monitors are a pair of 1600x1200 displays. The Rock64 only allows 800x600. There are no additional options in the Settings->Display utility. It recognizes the HP device. Is there a way to force the 1600x1200 at boot?

I'm not sure anyone ever answered this question.

I have a 1600x1200 dell monitor and would like to run linux with it. How do I do that? Do I need to compile the kernal with support for that resolution?

Thanks Dazz
Hi,

I now have my Dell 1600x1200@60hz monitor working with my Rock64 Big Grin , I've not done a lot of testing and I know there is already an issue when I use my KVM switch to move to my PC, when I move back the display dose not work. Also I've only tested in command line mode and not in a desktop mode, but it's a step in the right direction.

I found this http://wiki.radxa.com/Rock/Hdmi_Resolution witch pointed me in the right direction

How to:

edit the source file linux-kernel-release-4.4/drivers/video/rockchip/rockchip-hdmi-lcdc.c and create a new hdmi_video_timing entry at the bottom of the existing list

Code:
        {
                /* Dell 2700FP */
                .mode = {
                        .name = "1600x1200@60Hz",
                        .refresh = 60,
                        .xres = 1600,
                        .yres = 1200,
                        .pixclock = 162000000,
                        .left_margin = 64,
                        .right_margin = 80,
                        .upper_margin = 50,
                        .lower_margin = 6,
                        .hsync_len = 20,
                        .vsync_len = 8,
                        .sync = 0,
                        .vmode = 0,
                        .flag = 0,
                },
                .vic = HDMI_VIDEO_DMT | 11,  //512 | 11 = 523 remember this for defaulting the screen res
                .vic_2nd = 0,
                .pixelrepeat = 1,
                .interface = OUT_P888,
        },

Then edit linux-kernel-release-4.4/drivers/video/rockchip/rockchip-hdmi.h to set the display mode as default. not tested without this yet...
Code:
//#define HDMI_VIDEO_DEFAULT_MODE                       HDMI_1280X720P_60HZ
#define HDMI_VIDEO_DEFAULT_MODE            523 //1600x1200@60hz

Will post again once I've done some more testing....
Just to add another solution for anyone searching, I've set up my Rock64 on a 2560x1600 monitor using this method http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2017...u-desktop/

It may only work on Bionic, I think it failed when I tried it on Debian or Xenial.
Aloha,

Well, being a Linux newbe!  I have tried looking through this forum and giving up on finding  "Installing Debian Stretch Minimal 64bit OS Image." with a GUI interface.  When I install this OS, only CLI is available.  Is there some packages I need to install.  I have no clue!  I thought the Rock64 OS would install Linux in a GUI mode.  I appreciate any links to better describe process of installing Debian Stretch Minimal 64bit OS Image.  My ODROID XU4 work fine.  About to give up on ROCK64!

Thanks for any help from the Forum...

Pajaro
(09-10-2018, 06:59 PM)Pajaro Wrote: Aloha,

Well, being a Linux newbe!  I have tried looking through this forum and giving up on finding  "Installing Debian Stretch Minimal 64bit OS Image." with a GUI interface.  When I install this OS, only CLI is available.  Is there some packages I need to install.  I have no clue!  I thought the Rock64 OS would install Linux in a GUI mode.  I appreciate any links to better describe process of installing Debian Stretch Minimal 64bit OS Image.  My ODROID XU4 work fine.  About to give up on ROCK64!

Thanks for any help from the Forum...

Pajaro

Since you are a 'newbie' I suggest you use Armbian. It comes in two variants - Ubuntu and Debian - so choose the one you want. I suggest you go with Armbian Bionic, if anything because Ubuntu  has quantum FireFox which works nicely on the board compared to Chromium.

On initial boot you'll have to set up your credentials in CLI - but don't worry it will guide you though it - and then a fully featured destkop is there for you to use.
On first login creds are root/1234 - you'll be instructed from there how to set up your profile.

A stock LXDE is also available from the PINE installer and wiki, but its pretty bare bones compared to Armbian.

Enjoy.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter