Way to boot quickly in to a single java application?
Hello all, my project (once complete and setup) will only serve one purpose, to quickly boot directly in to a java application. What is the best distro to use and the best way to go about making it boot as quickly as possible and directly in to a java application? The only thing that would eventually be needed once completed is the bluetooth, and touchscreen drivers working, everything else could be disabled.

I see in the Pine64 update today that people have made and released many different distros that will work on the pine, is it possible to have someone make one that is an extremely fast booting "headless" one, in which people could just change the startup script to select the application they want to quickly boot to?
It doesn't really matter what distro you use. I don't think anyone has profiled the bootup times of the different ones. Quickly logging into a java application is pretty easily done, just google "auto login <your distro>" to find out how to do that, and then "run command on startup" after that.

Yes someone probably could make a distro that did just that, but why would they? Its far easier to make one general purpose linux distro image and then have the user configure it how they want from there.
It would be easier in terms of having it stripped down already. I am not too terribly great at with linux, so trying to figure out how to even disable all the services I don't need, let alone knowing which ones can / should be disabled is rather difficult, and I see lots of people asking how to do it quite often, which is why I suggested that it might be a good idea, primarily for automotive use and such.
You will end up with longsleep's build environment anyway so you should have a look into CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE.
(03-23-2016, 01:12 PM)MostHated Wrote: It would be easier in terms of having it stripped down already. I am not too terribly great at with linux, so trying to figure out how to even disable all the services I don't need, let alone knowing which ones can / should be disabled is rather difficult, and I see lots of people asking how to do it quite often, which is why I suggested that it might be a good idea, primarily for automotive use and such.
The thing is that these sorts of systems need to be setup first.

Java for example does not come with many linux distros by default so that would be something you would want to install. But someone doing what you are doing but with a python application wouldn't want java to cut down on bloat. 

Having a bare minimum distro like arch is far better than having a single really bloated .iso that does everything.

The bottom line is that if you are going to do something custom with your Pine you should learn how to Linux. Usually the first problem is figuring out what you want to do, but you seem to know what you want to do, learn how to do it.

Or even better, make what you want to make yourself.
(03-23-2016, 02:46 PM)Epsilon Wrote:
(03-23-2016, 01:12 PM)MostHated Wrote: It would be easier in terms of having it stripped down already. I am not too terribly great at with linux, so trying to figure out how to even disable all the services I don't need, let alone knowing which ones can / should be disabled is rather difficult, and I see lots of people asking how to do it quite often, which is why I suggested that it might be a good idea, primarily for automotive use and such.
The thing is that these sorts of systems need to be setup first.

Java for example does not come with many linux distros by default so that would be something you would want to install. But someone doing what you are doing but with a python application wouldn't want java to cut down on bloat. 

Having a bare minimum distro like arch is far better than having a single really bloated .iso that does everything.

The bottom line is that if you are going to do something custom with your Pine you should learn how to Linux. Usually the first problem is figuring out what you want to do, but you seem to know what you want to do, learn how to do it.

Or even better, make what you want to make yourself.

I already figured it out and have it working actually as of last night on my Pi 3. So all is well. Now I just have to strip down any other services I find on it to get the boot time down a bit, and I am good.
Hi,
Arm v7 architecture is actually preferred in this situation as you can use u-boot to boot directly into jazzelle app, the booting speed is instantly (arm v8 is without jazzelle)
(03-24-2016, 03:40 PM)eli Wrote: Hi,
Arm v7 architecture is actually preferred in this situation as you can use u-boot to boot directly into jazzelle app, the booting speed is instantly (arm v8 is without jazzelle)

I have never heard of jazzelle before, both the Pi 3 and Pine64 are without that ability anyways then?
That's true

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Board using linux stuck during boot sequence ktaragorn 4 8,144 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ktaragorn
  Secure boot & OTP efuse program devangpanchal90 0 2,593 05-25-2018, 01:59 AM
Last Post: devangpanchal90
  boot process for pine a64 awaysu 1 4,398 01-24-2018, 05:09 AM
Last Post: xalius
  Can't boot headless after running update_uboot.sh Borglesnorgle Williams 2 4,254 08-17-2017, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Borglesnorgle Williams
Exclamation Pine A64 Plus Fails to Boot grobbs 35 41,028 06-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Last Post: sarav_sara
  Boot issues: What todo when you muck up your FSTAB file Dagremote 1 3,756 04-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
Question Pine64 cannot boot jamiechang917 6 9,614 04-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  U-Boot for A64 git longsleep 38 68,780 03-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Last Post: longsleep
  OpenWRT supports ARMv8 - arm64, u-boot problem? rgdonato 4 6,740 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM
Last Post: rgdonato
  USB OTG Boot devilsclaw 25 38,997 03-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Last Post: CaptainZalo