Keyboard buttons should be pressed hardly
My pinebook have issue with keyboard - to get a button pressed, I have to press it with sufficient force. If I pressed it lightly (heard click sound, surely), buttons didn't produce events at all.

Seems, I should press directly at the button center to achive keypress. When I pressed at the edges - button press is ignored almost everytime (i had to re-press every 3-4 character during typing this message).

Is this a problem just for mine pinebook?

Is it software driver issue or hardware design? Can I receive fixed keyboard for replacement?

Thank you.
(07-23-2017, 03:30 AM)angry_elf Wrote: My pinebook have issue with keyboard - to get a button pressed, I have to press it with sufficient force. If I pressed it lightly (heard click sound, surely), buttons didn't produce events at all.

Seems, I should press directly at the button center to achive keypress. When I pressed at the edges - button press is ignored almost everytime (i had to re-press every 3-4 character during typing this message).

Is this a problem just for mine pinebook?

Is it software driver issue or hardware design? Can I receive fixed keyboard for replacement?

Thank you.

This keyboard experience is exasperating to be sure, but is normal for this keyboard module;  we are looking at replacing the keyboard module type which will correct this problem;  in the mean time yes, you will need to slow down a bit and keypress in the center of the keys.

<sorry>
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(07-23-2017, 04:23 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  we are looking at replacing the keyboard module type which will correct this problem;

But only on a new version, right? Those who have the Pinebook now will continue to have the same keyboard module.
(07-27-2017, 04:08 AM)jordanjay29 Wrote:
(07-23-2017, 04:23 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  we are looking at replacing the keyboard module type which will correct this problem;

But only on a new version, right? Those who have the Pinebook now will continue to have the same keyboard module.

The jury is still out on that...  they may make the bottom case top bezel available to the field to replace the bad modules.
No promises.
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Some people said that the keyboard improves by typing, but I do not see that. It is still quite unresponsive. Well, at least I will learn how to type slowly Smile
(07-27-2017, 04:22 AM)Wizzard Wrote: Some people said that the keyboard improves by typing, but I do not see that. It is still quite unresponsive. Well, at least I will learn how to type slowly Smile

Yes.  I would say that "I" have improved by typing;  the keyboard is what it is.  The keyboard sucks, but I have learned to slow a bit, and hit the keys dead-on center.  This has helped;  but from time to time I still get missed keypresses.

Blush
marcushh777    Cool

i think it was pretty widely reported in the forum before the release of the pinebook that the parts were off the shelf components. apparently folks did not understand what this means. most manufacturers take stock that has been returned as unacceptable for some reason by prior customers and keep it in the hope that someone else will come along and want to use it. hence the screen issue on the 11" pinebook and the keyboard issue on the 14". people that spend 89-99 bucks on a laptop should not expect quality just hopefully something that works. as i see it the only people who got shafted on this deal are those whose country charged them unreasonable amounts in customs charges, taxes, tariffs, etc.
(07-28-2017, 03:51 AM)dkryder Wrote: i think it was pretty widely reported in the forum before the release of the pinebook that the parts were off the shelf components. apparently folks did not understand what this means. most manufacturers take stock that has been returned as unacceptable for some reason by prior customers and keep it in the hope that someone else will come along and want to use it. hence the screen issue on the 11" pinebook and the keyboard issue on the 14". people that spend 89-99 bucks on a laptop should not expect quality just hopefully something that works. as i see it the only people who got shafted on this deal are those whose country charged them unreasonable amounts in customs charges, taxes, tariffs, etc.
While what you wrote may very well be true, it is not in the case of the PB. For one, the LCD issues with the 11in turned out to be software related. It has now been solved for months. The only issues with the 11in LCD I see is that there seems to be a shortage of it... 

As for the 14in keyboard, it is indeed an off-the-shelf component, and the vendor is perplexed because it has NOT been reported as an issue on x86 windows laptops.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(07-28-2017, 05:29 AM)Luke Wrote:
(07-28-2017, 03:51 AM)dkryder Wrote: i think it was <snip> 
While what you wrote may very well be true, i <snip> 

As for the 14in keyboard, it is indeed an off-the-shelf component, and the vendor is perplexed because it has NOT been reported as an issue on x86 windows laptops.

I have both modules in my lab;  same vendor, different modules !   The x86 module (with the windows key) works and does NOT have the key-press issue;  the keys have a deeper travel, and the bubble domes are larger;  no problems.  (The vendor should not be perplexed, its obvious !)

The module found in the production 14" Pb on the other hand,  has tiny bubble domes, less key travel, and therefore a tendency to miss keystrokes ( for corner hits ) because the bubble domes do not compress by the time the key corner bottoms.  This is also very obvious-- nothing to be perplexed about.  The vendor has reproduced the error in the lab, and they understand the problem.  

The x86 notebooks do not have the problem because they have the windows keyboard module--- which does not suffer from the short key travel and tiny bubble domes.
marcushh777    Cool

I guess I'm used to just typing hard, I really haven't experienced the issue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did pine64 change the keyboard? Hsingai 1 3,830 08-10-2020, 06:52 PM
Last Post: tllim
  different keyboard layouts (like AZERTY) walterbe 2 5,628 05-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Last Post: theotherjimmy
Lightbulb A low-tech hack to help the crappy keyboard combs 11 17,790 03-04-2020, 12:36 PM
Last Post: bancha
  Pinebook 11" Keyboard Corkonian 2 4,948 11-02-2019, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Corkonian
  keyboard x0r 0 2,292 07-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Last Post: x0r
  keyboard broken? Erik 0 1,906 05-20-2019, 02:52 AM
Last Post: Erik
  Scandinavian or alternate PineBook Keyboard? GreenThing 8 11,336 04-18-2019, 02:23 AM
Last Post: freppa
Information Pinebook 14" keyboard misses keypresses UPDATE MarkHaysHarris777 22 39,013 02-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Last Post: schallee
  Swapout Pinebook keyboard? maddmike 0 1,888 12-17-2018, 02:22 PM
Last Post: maddmike
  broken keyboard -> transplant all organs into an thinkpad? stereo 1 2,820 05-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Last Post: stereo