Getting Bluetooth working on Armbian 5.27
I am running Armbian 5.27 with Ubuntu Mate and need a updated set of steps to get Bluetooth working.
(06-01-2017, 01:20 PM)stephen fleming Wrote: I am running Armbian 5.27 with Ubuntu Mate  and need a updated set of steps  to get Bluetooth working.

If you're running 5.27, I take it you are running the *EXPERIMENTAL* mainline build? As AFAIK, 5.25 is the current stable legacy release... unless the mate desktop build is 5.27? If you are using the mainline build, I will just re-iterate what I said before.. it is expermental, is not complete, and this that are buggy or missing will stay that way for a while. Unless you have a burning need for a mainline kernel... stick with the stable legacy build... there is no good reason be using mainline at present unless you really really need something in it or are a developer.

Having said that, since you probably didn't find the article using the forum search as it was related to debian or see the link on the Armbian documentation page for enabling bluetooth... here is the link : https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...2#pid21412 . I wrote the original post which is a bit more long-winded because it was intended to document all the steps and a particular usage case. ayufan then wrote the condensed version Wink
I downloaded the legacy kernel (I should have specified that) and did not download the mainline kernel because it said it was experimental. I followed the steps from the link you gave and got Bluetooth manager working, until trying to pair a keyboard and it crashed. Shortly after Ubuntu displayed a message saying it had experienced a error. I rebooted the system and the Bluetooth icon had disappeared.
(06-01-2017, 08:25 PM)stephen fleming Wrote: I downloaded the legacy kernel (I should have specified that) and did not download the mainline kernel because it said it was experimental. I followed the steps from the link you gave and got Bluetooth manager working, until trying to pair a keyboard and it crashed. Shortly after Ubuntu displayed a message saying it had experienced a error. I rebooted the system and the Bluetooth icon had disappeared.

Thanks!  Wink   I just had to be doubly sure as the other consideration is that the those instruction may not work on mainline... I can't say I seen anyone report back on that front!  Blush

Did you make sure you added the three things

Code:
echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
rtk_hciattach /dev/ttyS1 rtk_h5 # BT on Pine is always connected to UART1
hciconfig hci0 up

to /etc/rc.local ?

They're put in that file so those commands are executed on every boot. The more 'proper' way to do that is to make a service, but this is the lazy way that works.  Big Grin

Other than that, I don't know what else is going on... there is a remote possibility it's SoPine related, or maybe the bluetooth just doesn't like your keyboard... or something else weird is going on.
Solved one problem, ran into another one. For some reason I typed in the code for rc.local into the command line and not into the file (oops!). So Bluetooth manager is up, but when I boot the system Bluetooth is not on. I turned it on, tried to connect a Logitech K380 keyboard and got an error message saying that there was no Bluetooth adapter. Then I tried entering this code:
Code:
sudo -i
systemctl enable bluetooth-module.service
reboot
When I entered the second line an error occurred:
Code:
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory
it might be bluetooth.service, but maybe yours is different and needs a path?
Changing it to bluetooth.service got rid of the 'no such file or directory' error, but later when I try to set up a new Bluetooth device, the 'no adapters found' error still comes up. The WiFi part works fine since it can connect to my wireless router at home.
does the bluetooth symbol , if armbian even displays one, ever go blue? additionally, your questions might get better responses/help on the armbian forum. seems we are dealing with an armbian issue, maybe those guys know how to fix it. most of them act like they know everything. see if they do.
When I boot up the system, the Bluetooth symbol is greyed out. I can turn on the Bluetooth and the symbol turns white. The reason I am using Armbian is the latest version for the Sopine has support for the 7" touchscreen and the current Ubuntu Mate version on the Pine64 Wiki does not. So it looks like I need to go to another forum.
The LCD is supported all around;  but you have to edit the uEnv.txt file to activate it;  the dts|dtb supports it for quite some time.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )