Help connecting to web interface - Newbie
Hello,

I have spent two days searching online before writing this, so please forgive me if the info is indeed out there somewhere.

I am fairly new to much of this as well as Linux but am determined and have struggled my way to having installed openhab on pine64 1Gig model with 16g SD card, bt/wifi module, and z-wave module. I have read and followed rabbit trails of links and forum threads and with much treasure hunting finally found the openhabian password and username and was able to log in and execute the "sudo openhabian-config". Clicked on pretty much all the options in the openhabian configuration tool, connected to wifi no problem.

In trying to find out how this 'easy', 'hassle free' connection all works. The link to the 'start here' and 'beginner tutorials' all seem to point to the open hab guides which show a screen of which package to choose, although I would love to get to this off my pine64, I cannot get past the command line to find any sort of UI or GUI, or know how to connect to myopenhab. Like when it says "will become available"...I need how to access, or know if it's become available.

I managed to find my IP address, as the tutorials said "will be a few more minutes until localhost becomes available" I am stuck!

I am obviously missing something, please, please don't point me to the wiki getting started guide, as I have gone through pretty much every link I could find on the topic, and I still can't find out how to make it past:

openhabian@openHABianPine64:~$

I would LOVE to see something I can click on...like this paper UI or something...

A couple hints would be greatly appreciated.
Hello!

Welcome to openHAB and openHABian. I'll not just bombard you with a few links and leave it with that. I'll however post a few links because I think you missed the most important. First, you should ask openHAB/openHAB related questions in the openHAB forum. There you'll find tons of users able to help with openHAB(ian) specific questions. Regarding openHABian, you can definitely check out the related thread to stay up to date with the latest developments.

The most important link is the official openHABian documentation article: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/openhabian.html

In this article you should be able to learn everything you need to know. There you can find all usernames and passwords and the steps to take. You'll also learn, that you don't have to connect to the console (at first), executing pretty much all the options is not needed. openHAB is already installed and ready to be used.

Quote: I would love to get to this off my pine64, I cannot get past the command line to find any sort of UI or GUI

That's the actual issue. The pine64 (as many other single board computers) is best used as a dedicated headless system. There is no Windows-like desktop environment - Why would there be, you have a powerful PC (or Mac) with all your favorite software for that. The Pine64 is intended to sit in a corner and control your home for you, 24/7. You on the other hand can sit in your comfortable chair in front of the PC and setup all that's needed from remote without any performance or functionality limitations.

1. openHAB Administration through Paper UI
  2. Configuration file management through Samba
  3. Log file observation via SSH (an easier tool will be part of openHABian soon)
  4. Looking at the result though Basic UI or HABPanel
So, what should you do now? IF your openHABian system is set up correctly (meaning you went through the 5 setup steps), you should see your very own openHAB instance by following http://openhabianpine64:8080 or http://your-Pine64-IP-here:8080
(03-12-2017, 05:45 PM)BatoXan Wrote: Hello!

Welcome to openHAB and openHABian. I'll not just bombard you with a few links and leave it with that. I'll however post a few links because I think you missed the most important. First, you should ask openHAB/openHAB related questions in the openHAB forum. There you'll find tons of users able to help with openHAB(ian) specific questions. Regarding openHABian, you can definitely check out the related thread to stay up to date with the latest developments.

The most important link is the official openHABian documentation article: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/openhabian.html

In this article you should be able to learn everything you need to know. There you can find all usernames and passwords and the steps to take. You'll also learn, that you don't have to connect to the console (at first), executing pretty much all the options is not needed. openHAB is already installed and ready to be used.

Quote: I would love to get to this off my pine64, I cannot get past the command line to find any sort of UI or GUI

That's the actual issue. The pine64 (as many other single board computers) is best used as a dedicated headless system. There is no Windows-like desktop environment - Why would there be, you have a powerful PC (or Mac) with all your favorite software for that. The Pine64 is intended to sit in a corner and control your home for you, 24/7. You on the other hand can sit in your comfortable chair in front of the PC and setup all that's needed from remote without any performance or functionality limitations.

1. openHAB Administration through Paper UI
  2. Configuration file management through Samba
  3. Log file observation via SSH (an easier tool will be part of openHABian soon)
  4. Looking at the result though Basic UI or HABPanel
So, what should you do now? IF your openHABian system is set up correctly (meaning you went through the 5 setup steps), you should see your very own openHAB instance by following http://openhabianpine64:8080 or http://your-Pine64-IP-here:8080  

BatoXan, 
             Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, greatly appreciated. I have been to the openhabian documentation article, a few times, and I guess for some reason Im thought I had to access the UI from the Pine as well from other places. This makes sense, and now that I wrote down my 'correct' IP address, it connects a lot smoother...LOL, I really appreciate your good explanation for the level I am at. So to clarify, I should go to the openhab forum instead of the openhab section on the pine64 forum? 
I hope you are making progress now Wink
The forum here is the right place to ask about Pine specific details but regarding openHAB, you will find dozens of active users in the openHAB community forum with all kinds of questions and answers. You will greatly benefit from that. Good luck!