Retropie
(01-13-2016, 02:33 PM)KryPtAlIvIaN Wrote:
(01-13-2016, 12:45 PM)Oblivifrek Wrote:
(12-13-2015, 11:51 AM)KryPtAlIvIaN Wrote:
(12-13-2015, 10:10 AM)rogerba Wrote: So I'm guessing that throwing my SD card with retropie and games all loaded onto it, isn't really going to work? I'm still super excited and looking forward to getting my board I pledged for! And more than excited to see how this emulation station turns out! 
I would be a contributing factor in this if I actually knew what I was doing but my experience is so limited, it's pathetic, and usually end up googling for hours just to find what single line of code I have to change to get what I want working.

Rogerba,

Your retropie image will most likely give you issues. It was programmed to work around the Raspberry Pi's hardware, which will be different from the Pine64.

We have all been there. :-) I am still that way from time to time, but in the end you learn something new even if it took you two hours.

Thanks,

KryPtAlIvIaN

The People Who Developed Retropi Should Make a Version For Pine64 Called Retro64. Atleast you can emulate Nintendo 64 natively

I must say, I like the sound of Retro64.

When I get some time and the updated Android Image is released via Google Drive or Torrent , I'll throw up some videos of emulators running on the Pine64.

I absolutely love the sound of Retro64! It rolls off the tongue Haha
I don't suppose this idea might still be alive? I just got charged for my Pine, it should be arriving sometime soon (in the Blizzard sense of the word at least Tongue) and I'm incredibly stoked for this. Retropie worked surprisingly well on my RPi 1B and I've compiled it from scratch on a desktop Ubuntu machine, so I was hoping I might be able to do the same on the Pine using an Ubuntu install.

Has anyone tried that? Does it work? Is anyone working on it? I know the good folk over at recalbox are, but I'm not entirely certain if recalbox is as easy to use as Retropie (i.e. controller detection works wonderfully in Retropie, better than emulationstation alone).

Any news will be welcome Big Grin
(05-12-2016, 04:27 AM)pqueiro Wrote: I don't suppose this idea might still be alive? I just got charged for my Pine, it should be arriving sometime soon (in the Blizzard sense of the word at least Tongue) and I'm incredibly stoked for this. Retropie worked surprisingly well on my RPi 1B and I've compiled it from scratch on a desktop Ubuntu machine, so I was hoping I might be able to do the same on the Pine using an Ubuntu install.

Has anyone tried that? Does it work? Is anyone working on it? I know the good folk over at recalbox are, but I'm not entirely certain if recalbox is as easy to use as Retropie (i.e. controller detection works wonderfully in Retropie, better than emulationstation alone).

i'm still very interessed in retropi64 Big Grin have you try recalbox for pine 64? does it works?
(07-05-2016, 07:36 AM)nicolo.tuppo Wrote:
(05-12-2016, 04:27 AM)pqueiro Wrote: I don't suppose this idea might still be alive? I just got charged for my Pine, it should be arriving sometime soon (in the Blizzard sense of the word at least Tongue) and I'm incredibly stoked for this. Retropie worked surprisingly well on my RPi 1B and I've compiled it from scratch on a desktop Ubuntu machine, so I was hoping I might be able to do the same on the Pine using an Ubuntu install.

i'm still very interessed in retropi64 Big Grin have you try recalbox for pine 64? does it works?

Until we get mali up and working there is really no way and no point.  Once we do get the blobs working, porting over emulation station to the Pine won't be a walk in the park either. That said, I have done some research and think I know where to start :Smile I will be making a retropie-like img when it happens and will invite people to test it
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(07-06-2016, 04:43 AM)Luke Wrote:

Until we get mali up and working there is really no way and no point.  Once we do get the blobs working, porting over emulation station to the Pine won't be a walk in the park either. That said, I have done some research and think I know where to start :Smile I will be making a retropie-like img when it happens and will invite people to test it
When you will start let me know, if i can i will be happy to help
(07-07-2016, 04:45 AM)nicolo.tuppo Wrote:

Will do - I will no doubt need any and all the help I can get. hit me up in the IRC once the mali support lands (or anytime before that)

(07-07-2016, 07:07 AM)Luke Wrote:

Will do - I will no doubt need any and all the help I can get. hit me up in the IRC once the mali support lands (or anytime before that)

As far as I can tell, Mali drivers are available, but there's no kernel to use that supports them. Is this correct? Is there any estimate / hope / wild guess as to when that might be solved?

Thanks!
(07-11-2016, 06:41 AM)pqueiro Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 07:07 AM)Luke Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 07:36 AM)nicolo.tuppo Wrote: i'm still very interessed in retropi64 Big Grin have you try recalbox for pine 64? does it works?

As far as I can tell, Mali drivers are available, but there's no kernel to use that supports them. Is this correct? Is there any estimate / hope / wild guess as to when that might be solved?

Thanks!

In a layman's terms I think you are correct, yes - the drivers are there but not usable with longsleep's kernel. Estimate - nope / hope - absolutely yes / wild guess - I would be surprised if it would happen this month and would be surprised if it didn't happen in the next 3 months.

(07-11-2016, 04:07 PM)Luke Wrote: In a layman's terms I think you are correct, yes - the drivers are there but not usable with longsleep's kernel. Estimate - nope / hope - absolutely yes / wild guess - I would be surprised if it would happen this month and would be surprised if it didn't happen in the next 3 months.

Here's what I don't get though -- must Allwinner provide the kernel? The drivers are a binary blob, right? Akin to, say, many wifi drivers out there, or various other graphics drivers. Why must we wait for a special kernel? What's the difference between Mali's drivers and, say, AMD's proprietary drivers, that makes the latter usable with any old kernel but the former not?

Thanks for the patience Smile and the hard work! My pine is yet to come, but I'm oh so excited Big Grin
(07-11-2016, 04:38 PM)pqueiro Wrote:
(07-11-2016, 04:07 PM)Luke Wrote: In a layman's terms I think you are correct, yes - the drivers are there but not usable with longsleep's kernel. Estimate - nope / hope - absolutely yes / wild guess - I would be surprised if it would happen this month and would be surprised if it didn't happen in the next 3 months.

Here's what I don't get though -- must Allwinner provide the kernel? The drivers are a binary blob, right? Akin to, say, many wifi drivers out there, or various other graphics drivers. Why must we wait for a special kernel? What's the difference between Mali's drivers and, say, AMD's proprietary drivers, that makes the latter usable with any old kernel but the former not?

Thanks for the patience Smile and the hard work! My pine is yet to come, but I'm oh so excited Big Grin

I'm no expert in this matter - think you may want to wait for someone like Lenny or Xalius to answer this for you in full. You may also want to follow this thread. But as I understand it - no, we are not waiting for allwinner to deliver a kernel - we are waiting for them to deliver binary blobs that will work with what we already have. 
Keeping my fingers crossed that your pine is delivered soon Wink