camera array possible?
Is it possible to attach multiple cameras to a single pine64, as a camera controller?

If not, is it possible to connect multiple pine64 (each with a camera) synced together to simultaneously take a photo from each camera?

I am looking to created my own camera array for Photogrammerty. Photogrammetry is the process of taking multiple camera shots from different parallax angles which are then processed in a software package to create a 3D representation of the target. I.E. take multiple photographs of a person from different angles to created a 3D representation.

I want to setup an array of pine64 cameras in a spherical formation all pointing towards a center point actor. The cameras will shoot a single image simultaneously and stored to a central drive. I was thinking that controlling the cameras and writing the images via ethernet would be a solution but some wise words from more technical modders would be most welcomed.

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/460057-...grammetry/
http://www.artanim.ch/blog/2014/02/build...d-scanner/
There is only one slot to hook up the camera to a pine64. So if you wanted to use 10 cameras, you would need to get 10 pine64's.

However, you might be able to hook up multiple cameras via either networking or USB. These would be standard cameras that are bought from 3rd parties, and not related to what pine64 sells.

Also note, the camera being offered is 5 megapixel. I have a similar camera on my Raspberry Pi, and it really cannot be used in anything other than bright sunlight. It probably can do video where you aren't as concerned about noise in the image.
Ya your best choice are usb camera and network one cuz the 5mpx camera for what r u trying to so is not too good
Maybe the pine64 team will upgrade the came so u can use 10 boards and 10 cameras but it's up to you

Sent from my HUAWEI Y530 using Tapatalk
By. Zoidiano0!
Installed:
LAMP: Linux , Apache2.4 , Mariadb, phpMyadmin, PHP5 
Java 8 arm by oracle
Netbeans 8.1
chromium (uses way toooo much Ram)

Pine64 Head Unit Project.!
(02-27-2016, 10:29 AM)Zoidiano0 Wrote: Ya your best choice are usb camera and network one cuz the 5mpx camera for what r u trying to so is not too good
Maybe the pine64 team will upgrade the came so u can use 10 boards and 10 cameras but it's up to you

When you say the 5mpx camera are not that good is that because of the noise factor? I created photogrammetry outside on an overcast day using a 4mp DSLR. Granted, it was an older SLR but the resolution was less. I am guessing that a 5mpx pine64 camera can't really be compared to a 4mpx DSLR due to the lenses and CCD.
Ya the noice it's a big factor but we will see if is conciderable enough to deal with so u can see if this will work for what u want
I have ordered a camera too so we can test it and check

By. Zoidiano0!
Installed:
LAMP: Linux , Apache2.4 , Mariadb, phpMyadmin, PHP5 
Java 8 arm by oracle
Netbeans 8.1
chromium (uses way toooo much Ram)

Pine64 Head Unit Project.!
I am planning to do the same! I mean to use pine64 for photogrammetry rig

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
According to the datasheet (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cEs0l...yUWYw/view), the camera uses a CMOS sensor.  It does not mention that it is BSI-CMOS.  The BSI stands for back illuminated sensor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-illuminated_sensor), which is the latest method of noise reduction for cameras.

In addition, the datasheet shows that the camera can only do 15fps for full frame video.  If you want 30fps, you have to step down to QVGA (320x240) mode.  Given this restriction, I am finding it hard to imagine any use of the camera.

As a comparison, the Raspberry Pi camera (Omnivision 5647 CMOS) that I found to be too noisy to use indoor for stills without additional lighting does use BSI-CMOS and can do 1080p video at 30fps, 720p video at 60fps, and QVGA at 120fps.  Here is the datasheet by comparison: http://www.ovt.com/uploads/parts/OV5647.pdf.

FWIW, the R-pi camera sensor was announced in 2009, and the Pine64 camera sensor was announced in 2012, but the specs of the pine64 look like it is a time warp to an earlier time.

Note, even after I searched around to find a faster lens for my Raspberry Pi camera, it still needed to go to ISO 800 or more to take a picture at 1/30, and the picture was just painful to look at.

As you might guess from my icon photo (taken in 2011), I like to disguise modern cameras to make them look like older cameras.  The icon picture is of my big rig that has an Olympus E-5 (previously E-3) inside of a box that is reminiscent of the older cameras from the late 1800's and early 1900's.  The current rig is meant to encapsulate most things that are in modern cell phones in a steampunk context (camera is obvious, I have a telegraph key for communication and also to fire the camera, I have sextant and compass to find your location instead of a GPS, a dragon for security, photographer and painter squirrels for backup imaging, slide rule/abacus for calculation, an angry bird in a ballista for playing games (it never is the same twice).

Here is a picture of the rig from 2012, along with an Olympus E-P2 stuffed inside of a 1915 Kodak Pony Premo 5x7 camera, and, and Olympus TG-120 inside of a simple box:

[Image: 2012-06-11-08-24-061-hidesir.jpg]

For the Raspberry Pi, I bought a Polaroid 95A camera body, and I've put the Raspberry Pi into the body, and the Pi camera on the front.  I had hoped to do a similar thing with the pine64, but after looking at the specs of the pine64 camera, and having to wait until the Linux graphics performance is usable, I think I'm going to give up on using the pine64 in this capacity.

[Image: 2015-02-23-10-30-001-hidepi.jpg]

[Image: 2015-02-23-10-42-002-hidepi.jpg]

Cool
Lovely camera collection! I like the idea of using the old camera(s) as a shell for something more modern.
(02-29-2016, 08:10 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: Lovely camera collection! I like the idea of using the old camera(s) as a shell for something more modern.

Thanks.
(02-29-2016, 05:28 AM)Sasank Wrote: I am planning to do the same! I mean to use pine64 for photogrammetry rig

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Keep me in the loop on your progress. Based on users responses, I was thinking that one pine64plus to control multiple base pine64 (with cameras) might do the trick. I am not as concerned about the camera since photogrammetry indoor lighting is controllable while exterior overcast lighting is the best. Both will help limit noise artifacts and 5mpx is more than enough to capture details. However, what does worry me is the auto white balance. I prefer manual white balance which could be a factor.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine64 as Security Camera / Baby Monitor utdrmac 2 7,044 02-01-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: davidbrucs