Parental Controls Device
would this device work for the concept of some kind of parental controls unit?

i am looking into the possibility of connecting a pine 64 to a modem/router and then creating some kind of web interface that would allow parents or adults to

control blacklists
filter/block webistes like facebook during homework
schedule internet access for certain devices during certain hours of the day
an option to disable the internet for certain devices

would be interested to hear peoples views
Sounds like a interesting project.
I have this setup as we speak, not with a PINE, but with my router. I'm using a Asus RT-N66U router, and this one have alle your wanted abilities. I allso have enabled WAN-controll for the router so I can log in from wherever in the world and check the router, logfiles, connected devices and so on.
Most modern routers have the ability to give restricted access to spesific IPs or MAC addresses (I prefer using the MAC addresses. That way I dont have to bother with setting up static IP for all new devices).
thanks for posting - yes i know some routers allow certain controls - but ive had a few and nothing seems to do a great job at all my requirements - thats why i wanted to band around an idea of whether a pine64 could connect to a pre installed router and control this kind of stuff

e.g. adding a label to a mac so that you can easily identify whose device it is
assign certain block lists or sites to specific devices
setup schedules for different devices e.g. all devices banned between 12am and 8am then device A allowed access 8-9 whilst device b allowed access 3-4 etc
the ability to disable internet completely for one or all devices
(02-24-2016, 01:48 AM)jm952370 Wrote: thanks for posting - yes i know some routers allow certain controls - but ive had a few and nothing seems to do a great job at all my requirements - thats why i wanted to band around an idea of whether a pine64 could connect to a pre installed router and control this kind of stuff

e.g. adding a label to a mac so that you can easily identify whose device it is
assign certain block lists or sites to specific devices
setup schedules for different devices e.g. all devices banned between 12am and 8am then device A allowed access 8-9 whilst device b allowed access 3-4 etc
the ability to disable internet completely for one or all devices

Hi,

I love this idea and have been thinking about something like this for ages.  However, I had another idea.  Since many people have shared computers, would there be a away that you could rig up some kind of proxy where users have to login prior to accessing the Internet.  The login would then trigger a specific access profile including access times and website access lists.  This would be cool because it could provide device independent security and you could create a separate security and usage profile for each family member.

JL
I'm planning on inserting my Pine64 in between my DSL modem and my EdgeRouter Lite (ERL) for something similar. While not directly related to parental controls my primary goal is to get the Security Onion up and running on the Pine64. From there I'll add in Squid which is a proxy and can perform blacklisting or whitelisting of websites. I'm also going to see about setting up a home certificate authority on one of my other computers, that way I can install a certificate on most of our home devices and perform SSL/TLS decryp to allow for those connections to be run through the IPS that is part of the security onion, only reason I won't install the cert on everything is as far as I know I can't add a cert to our smart TV's, Roku, and Amazon Firestick.. I'll be doing logging of network connections including 80/443. For most people what I'm planning on doing is overboard, but I've been doing IT security for close to 20 years and in the last couple of years it has gotten to the point where tools I use every day at work can be used at home for a reasonable cost.

I've already got my DSL modem running in bridge mode so the ERL really has the majority of the network control going out of my home. Linux does support this same setup, so I'll end up moving the authentication from the ERL to the Pine64. So with the Pine64 in bridge you should be able to run just about any software you want to monitor and/or control network activity going in or coming out.
Hi,

I like your idea. The one thing that I wonder about is bandwidth. You will need two Ethernet connections for your solution. The onboard nic will be one of them. What are you doing for the second?

If you are using a USB - Ethernet adapter, do you think that it will be fast enough given that the Pine uses USB2.0?

Thank you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
(02-29-2016, 11:03 AM)jl_678 Wrote: Hi,

I like your idea. The one thing that I wonder about is bandwidth. You will need two Ethernet connections for your solution. The onboard nic will be one of them. What are you doing for the second?

If you are using a USB - Ethernet adapter, do you think that it will be fast enough given that the Pine uses USB2.0?

Thank you.

Sadly I can only get a 20 Mbps down DSL connection at home, so a USB2.0 should be more than enough.
(02-29-2016, 11:03 AM)jl_678 Wrote: Hi,

Thank you.

yes i would put the usb to ethernet on the red side linked to the dsl / router with the gig network facing the green

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  video scoring device for competition skydiving strictdev 0 2,774 06-29-2019, 11:33 PM
Last Post: strictdev