Pre-Configure Wifi on Pine64 without Keyboard/mouse
Hi

Is there a way to pre-configure Wifi on any of the Pine64 Linux images (Ubuntu , Xenial, Debian etc) without Keyboard/Mouse ? I have forgotten to take my USB little keyboard with me where I am right now and therefore stuck and cannot work with it. I have a monitor and a Laptop with me though but it is not much of a help as far as I can see. 

On Pi (Raspbian) it's possible to re-configure Wifi user/pass in /boot/wpa_supplicant.conf file and while booting Raspbian tile file will be copied under /etc thus connecting Pi to Wifi router. 

Any idea I can do similar or other way I can connect to my PIne74 board without Keyboard/Mouse?
In this situation I would do this.

Connect to wifi internet on laptop (running windows I hope)
connect cat5 to pine board.
internet share the wifi connection to the ethernet adaptor by right clicking the wifi adaptor and clicking properties, then go to the sharing tab and enable it. This sets up windows built in dhcp server.
download netscan and putty.
use netscan to find ip of pine board. It will be something like 192.168.137.xxx
use putty to ssh in to the pine board and configure wifi that way.

Sorry the late reply and no links but its like 6.45am here

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
(01-22-2017, 01:43 PM)Ghelorn Wrote: In this situation I would do this.

internet share the wifi connection to the ethernet adaptor by right clicking the wifi adaptor and clicking properties, then go to the sharing tab and enable it. This sets up windows built in dhcp server.

Thanks for a great tip Ghelorn! I once did this and know how it goes, but forgotten it completelySmile  I had to improvise with DHCP on Win10 with a separate DHCP server as Win10 did not want to allocate IP. 

Now I only need to get hold of Ethernet cable. I hope Pine64 supports a regular cable from PC-PC connection like PI does (instead of crossover cable) .
(01-23-2017, 01:40 AM)bortek Wrote:
(01-22-2017, 01:43 PM)Ghelorn Wrote: In this situation I would do this.

Thanks for a great tip Ghelorn! I once did this and know how it goes, but forgotten it completelySmile  I had to improvise with DHCP on Win10 with a separate DHCP server as Win10 did not want to allocate IP. 

Now I only need to get hold of Ethernet cable. I hope Pine64 supports a regular cable from PC-PC connection like PI does (instead of crossover cable) .
that's strange. I haven't had an issue with this since windows xp. now I just make sure that the wired adaptor is set to auto before sharing and then not change the static ip that windows sets it to.

I have found in windows 10 that if I reboot my computer or my computer sleeps then I sometimes need to disable and renable the sharing to get it to work again.

Also I'm pretty sure the pine is "auto media detect". I connect mine to my computer with straight through cable. your laptop should have it anyway and you only need one device with it

Thanks for all the help Smile I bought a short Cat6 Ethernet cable (regular, non crossover) connected it to Pine and PC. Unfortunately Wifi Sharing to get DHCP working did not work.

Instead I disabled Wifi sharing and downloaded this nice little DHCP server http://www.dhcpserver.de/ , configured it I was able to ssh to pine after finding its IP.

Overnout.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programming languages support under PINE64 baryluk 6 12,060 09-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  Manjaro arm on pine64+ roel 2 5,778 10-19-2019, 05:13 AM
Last Post: roel
  Volumio for PINE64 Released mikelangeloz 11 24,129 03-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: llungster
  I2S Audio patches for Pine64+ uploaded to GitHub ramstadt 1 3,961 01-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: ramstadt
  Pine64: Minimal SDL config Max11 3 5,852 01-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Max11
  Fedora 27 on Pine64 gregjo 18 34,539 01-02-2019, 10:42 PM
Last Post: heatfanjohn
  Official build procedure of ayufan pine64 r.tanaka 0 3,065 08-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Last Post: r.tanaka
  DKMS on kernel 3.10.107-pine64 obrienmd 5 8,416 06-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Gentoo for pine64 - longsleep kernel incoherent 0 3,587 12-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: incoherent
  WiFi dongle MediaTek mt7601u Beta_Ravener 13 21,639 11-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Aadhyatm