Rear Video
13.95%
GPS
34.88%
43 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Pine64 Head Unit
Slick Idea. 

I'm on board with using it to feed existing head units the media stream and act as a Waze display. 
I don't see a lot of benefits in trying to rework what is already cheap and figured out, so I'll just plug into the rear inputs on my head unit for volume control/amplification, meanwhile I still have all the features of the am/fm radio in the car when I'm not using it. 

Fed through a wifi hotspot from a phone in the driver's pocket this will work fine.

I am looking forward to controlling some old dell 16" lcd monitors I've removed the base from and planned to mount in the back of my minivan for my kids.
I'll be trying to pair it with another mounted low in front of the center counsel to control their screens and use as a Waze and Media center control. 

Its kinda nice to think if I have wireless keyboard nearby it is a full on computer I can use for just about anything when I want.

I will also be adding the obd2 bluetooth into the scene since I already have it, so I'll probably try to use remix OS so I can just use the already available apps.
I am hooked on watching the fuel trims and other outputs to read the status of the engine.

I'll be lurking. Thanks for posting the project.

-Adam

(04-04-2016, 03:27 PM)pine.adam Wrote: Slick Idea. 

I'm on board with using it to feed existing head units the media stream and act as a Waze display. 
I don't see a lot of benefits in trying to rework what is already cheap and figured out, so I'll just plug into the rear inputs on my head unit for volume control/amplification, meanwhile I still have all the features of the am/fm radio in the car when I'm not using it. 

Fed through a wifi hotspot from a phone in the driver's pocket this will work fine.

I am looking forward to controlling some old dell 16" lcd monitors I've removed the base from and planned to mount in the back of my minivan for my kids.
I'll be trying to pair it with another mounted low in front of the center counsel to control their screens and use as a Waze and Media center control. 

Its kinda nice to think if I have wireless keyboard nearby it is a full on computer I can use for just about anything when I want.

I will also be adding the obd2 bluetooth into the scene since I already have it, so I'll probably try to use remix OS so I can just use the already available apps.
I am hooked on watching the fuel trims and other outputs to read the status of the engine.

-Adam

I forgot to add, I'll probably pick up a cheapo 12v rechargeable battery for a power tool from harbor freight or the likes, and using a diode stop it from draining the battery so it can only charge on from that wire feed, meanwhile it will power the Pine until it dies. This is the same method I use on rewiring old cars to stop the alternator sensing feed from draining the battery.

I'm assuming the 12v power tool battery will be able to keep it alive for a day or two and I drive atleast once a day so the pine may never power off.

-Adam

-Adam

I forgot to add, I'll probably pick up a cheapo 12v rechargeable battery for a power tool from harbor freight or the likes, and using a diode stop it from draining the battery so it can only charge on from that wire feed, meanwhile it will power the Pine until it dies. This is the same method I use on rewiring old cars to stop the alternator sensing feed from draining the battery.

I'm assuming the 12v power tool battery will be able to keep it alive for a day or two and I drive atleast once a day so the pine may never power off.
Would the playbox work well as a media stream and waze display? What do you use for obd2 bluetooth? If I plan on using the 8000mAH battery, can it be charged by Micro USB?
Ya it's charged by the charging circuit ok board so don't worry
I order the playbox too so im waiting till it arrive
The screen Es just like a double din head unit so it will fun in any Car
I'm waiting the response from tl Tim about bigger screens
As well if u check the first post the hi-fi audio board it's on the go!

So we can connect it to the amp system

Because is android, apps like wase and Google maps or others are easy to use on screen so it's going to. Be fun to see how this works

And the ideas that the members can come with
If u have suggestions Pease post them

Sent from my HUAWEI Y530 using Tapatalk
By. Zoidiano0!
Installed:
LAMP: Linux , Apache2.4 , Mariadb, phpMyadmin, PHP5 
Java 8 arm by oracle
Netbeans 8.1
chromium (uses way toooo much Ram)

Pine64 Head Unit Project.!
I already have a Kenwood KDC-X998 single din, so I wont need to replace the Kenwood. Not sure if my idea is similar to Adam's but I plan to use the playbox with my headunit. The only thing I can think of is using an auxiliary input cable to the headunit. But you can use the rear inputs as well? I mainly plan on using Waze, and Neutron music player. For OBD2 and reading the status of the engine. Is Torque Pro good for that? Thanks.
(04-06-2016, 06:23 AM)Zoidiano0 Wrote: Ya it's charged by the charging circuit ok board so don't worry
I order the playbox too so im waiting till it arrive
The screen Es just like a double din head unit so it will fun in any Car
I'm waiting the response from tl Tim about bigger screens
As well if u check the first post the hi-fi audio board it's on the go!

So we can connect it to the amp system

Because is android, apps like wase and Google maps or others are easy to use on screen so it's going to. Be fun to see how this works

And the ideas that the members can come with
If u have suggestions Pease post them

Ya i guess u can use them but u need the board of hi-fi audio output
Look for the better DAC thread on first post to see how it going to looks like
And this way u can improve the audio quality

I have a pioneer deh-4750bt with Bluetooth built in so I'm going to use the Bluetooth to connect the pine64 to it
Algo this one have voice control so it's fun

By. Zoidiano0!
Installed:
Java 8 arm by oracle
Netbeans 8.1

For OBD2 I picked one up off amazon a year or so ago for around $13.
It is Bluetooth only so it works with Android and my other laptop for more detailed outputs.

I got one for my father who has an iPhone and it had to be a wifi based model that was only marginally more expensive.

I use OBD Car Doctor Free, I couldn't get Torque to work, but my phone is a bit old.

There is an absolutely awesome tool for the PC called "Forscan." It is limited to the Ford/Lincoln/Merc/Mazda lineup but you can read, any and every sensor on the vehicle, test the lights, security, reprogram keys, and it is free. (www.forscan.org). I'm no programmer but if I was, I would trying make it work on the pine.

As for the specifics on the OBD2 it is a Panlong brand. If your in the US you need to make sure it supports the ELM327 and possibly the ICANN protocols. It seems like a crapshoot from the reviews of whether or not you get a working one based on the amazon reviews, but mine works fine.

I have head unit with the rca inputs in the back for an auxillary, so that is where I planned to plug in for sound from the pine.
I have been looking at different SBC's for my Carputer.  I originally went with Raspberry Pi 2 but the android support is not there.  I'm going to try Pine64.  Have my board ordered and hope to receive it next month (May).   I've been in the process of spec'n out several items then came across this thread.  I have already have a monitor (FA1014-NP/C/T) which auto-switches in reverse to a camera (so the SBC does not need to be on).

There been talks of mostly hardware which is great!  Looking to see if any here will help me in my adventure.  I want to think of some apps which will help.
There are several android apps out there which I am thinking of using:
1) Autosleeper Auto power ON-OFF -- Hopefully I can use with Pine64
2) Waze and/or google maps -- Navagation
3) Drivemode or Automate -- Car mode layout (big icons and easy GUI which driving)
4) TabletTalk -- Syncing phone + works with Drivemode
5) Music apps -- to many to list and everyone has a preference.  Some allow to play offline.  This is perfect if someone else will be driving the car to have some music.
Question 
Hi all, I am planning on using my pine for an android headunit replacement in my friend's (old) land cruiser. He is much more car literate than I am, but I think it will be a fun project, and between the two of us we should be able to figure it out.. Big Grin

My question has to do with how the power situation works.. above pine.adam wrote he will be using a cheapo 12v battery to power pine between car starts, using diode to prevent battery drainage. I was wondering if he or someone else could expand on this concept for me, as I am a total noob. My understanding is that pine runs on 5v power, and the 7in touchscreen will need power as well.

Would something like this: (http://www.amazon.com/Sentey-LS-2180-208...VWAH9DYPJG) with two usb outputs do the job well? And if so, how does it hook into car battery without constantly draining when car is powered off? Again, I am a noob here..

Also, in reference to queonda's post above that app list looks like a great idea. I noticed that Autosleeper Auto power ON-OFF gets mediocre reviews on the Play store, and some commenters suggested AutomateIt as an alternative (https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...kage&hl=en). Does anyone have experience using either of these apps? And how would this work along with the battery / car power?

A lot of questions, I know.. However, I am very glad to see this thread is active and there is a real interest from others. Props to Zoidiano0 for getting it started / organized, thanks mate!!
That looks like a battery 5v dual output with one having 2.1A & the other 1A. The 2.1 will be great for your PINE64 but what is your power requirements for your screen?

I did more reading on the AutoPower app looks like a hit and miss and don't know if it fully being worked on (abandoned?). There are tons of apps with similar function. I just need to start testing them to see which one will work the best for me.

As for your 1st questions, there are many ways to skin the cat. I may get a device which gives me a specific time when I turn my car off to keep the computer on (and other devices) to download or sync via wifi with my home network. I will connect this timer to the battery backup connector on the PINE64 board. Then use software to do a proper shutdown or sleep mode (if this is possible). This devices are described here: http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/artic...ls?id=1420'

Of course, I'm going to need several step down DC converters in there somewhere.
Well guys my package it's going to be shipped in about 3 weeks mark (hopefully) haha

And we'll soon as I get it I'm going to be working on this

One of the thinks I what to do check I it can work is this app

http:// http://forum.xda-developers.com/...t=2191223

This app I hope it can work via Bluetooth with android and even via i2s with the audio board

I have been using this app soon as it was released in xda so I know what it can do
And I would like to see how it's ping to work in my car as dsp
I'm going to install an amp system to my car so use this app as dsp I guess it's a good improvement on sound processing and due the power of the pine64 hopefully this would be just awesome

Anyway

All I have to so is wait for my pine and get my amps and speakers
So keep this working

As u know I'm going to to be using a pioneer single din head unit as main source for the amps and this way I can get 4 channels and all the functions of a head unit should have and the pine will be the screen and dsp
All connected via Bluetooth

If any of u got the pine64 yet please post if this app is working
Thanks
By. Zoidiano0!
Installed:
Java 8 arm by oracle
Netbeans 8.1

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine64 as squeezebox touch replacement Learnincurve 12 27,606 01-13-2021, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Pine64 E-ink screen - Android projectileobjects 4 9,451 12-03-2020, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Silk
  Pine64 based IP KVM tuaris 0 3,912 08-06-2020, 12:05 AM
Last Post: tuaris
  PINE64 to allow use of SATA disk on network/FTP mwelbourne 10 15,329 11-18-2019, 04:09 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  How to setup VNC on your Pine64 (Debian, SSH, headless) pine64nutz 20 42,152 04-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Last Post: hg6806
  Setup Pine64+ with OP-TEE stdys 0 3,495 09-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Last Post: stdys
Information UEFI for Pine64 z4v4l 20 37,213 06-24-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: z4v4l
  Domoticz + PINE64 Z-Wave Module + Open Z-Wave klliew 4 9,537 04-19-2018, 02:23 AM
Last Post: Harlan Mueller
  Pine64 as Security Camera / Baby Monitor utdrmac 2 7,043 02-01-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: davidbrucs
Photo Nextcloud running on Pine64 gbjensen 1 5,975 01-18-2018, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Luke