Interested in Pine 64 board and Pinebook 64
(01-02-2017, 09:47 PM)Nick Wrote:
(01-02-2017, 02:24 PM)tllim Wrote:
(01-02-2017, 09:25 AM)Nick Wrote: Will the Pinebook ship with an OS preinstalled? Also, will there be any kind of warranty on it?

The Pinebook will comes with Ubuntu OS (still not finalize, we may switch to Debian) preinstalled. The warranty period is 90days if not disassembled by user. However, once the back case been unscrew and open, the warranty period will drop to 30days which we treat as maker product that same as Pine A64 board.

Great, thanks. I can't wait.  Smile

Will it have a fan for cooling? I am hoping to do some light gaming on it, games like Retro City Rampage and some emulators. I don't know if that'd be too much for it.
There is no cooling fan.
(12-27-2016, 11:44 PM)tllim Wrote: Pinebook plan to release on middle to late February due to Chinese New Year (January 28). Chine factory close one week before CNY and resume back two weeks after CNY. Once factory up, it takes at least another week to gear up.

When can we expect to get more detailed information on the Pinebook?
(12-23-2016, 07:56 PM)Omnios Wrote: Greetings. I am interested in getting a pinebook -64 and possibly a pine 64 board later on. I have a few questions. I live in Canada so is the website price USD. Currently the USD to can rate sucks. My main issue is how is the product is shipped. USPS to Can postal has free duty brokerage fees but Puralator charges like $50 for fees and some times so does fedex. Would it be possible to get an item shipped with USPS to Canada?

well my experience with shipments to U.S. from pine64 warehouse in china is that they use SHENZHEN EMS  to get to u.s. and then USPS inside u.s. SO my quess would be it goes to canada and then uses internal canadian mail system. btw, getting stuff via this method is very slow this year. one package that was shipped to me from makerfab also in SHENZHEN ON 12/12 IS STILL IN CHINA at this time. i also have a package from pine64 that has sat in SHENZHEN since being shipped on 12/23. most popular excuse is that there has been increase in mail but i fail to accept that as reason for package sitting in china for 3 weeks. anyway, based on this experience my guess is it is gonna take much much longer than a normal year to get up to speed after the chinese new year. i've decided not to order anything from china til june of 2017.
(01-05-2017, 12:57 PM)Damocles Wrote:
(12-27-2016, 11:44 PM)tllim Wrote: Pinebook plan to release on middle to late February due to Chinese New Year (January 28). Chine factory close one week before CNY and resume back two weeks after CNY. Once factory up, it takes at least another week to gear up.

When can we expect to get more detailed information on the Pinebook?

We gradually improve on the Pinebook page, the schematic will be release on early February once we tested the per-production unit. For Pinebook production will start on mid February once factory resume from Chinese New Year. However, this 2-3 batch are small quantity and gradually ramp up.
Hello, this thread has been very informative, thank you so much for providing information on the Pinebook.
I do have a few questions of my own:

1. I'm wondering about the battery life, I know if varies from OS to OS, but how many hours does the 10,000 mAH battery can provide? 2-3 Hours? More?

2. What are the box contents? Laptop, charger, other cables possibly?

3. Any extra fees other than the 89$ for 11.6' and 99$ for the 14'? And will it be on Amazon for example or you are selling it directly via this site?

4. Shipping to the middle east, I'm currently in Libya and we use Shop and Ship by Aramex, so I want to know the path the netbook will take, also how much does it weigh (The shipping weight) and how many business days does it take to ship it to Libya from China?

5. Staying on the weight subject, I understand this Netbook is based on the Pine64, a very lightweight and small computer, then how come it weighs as much as a regular Netbook, it weights more than the Compaq CQ 10-100 that I had for a couple of years (Compaq weighs 2.58 LBS while the PineBook weighs 2.65 LBS), could you please tell me where does the extra weight comes from? I understand that the extra components add to the total weight, but for a very light and thin computer it would weight a lot less IMO.

Thank you in advance, and have a lovely day Smile
Can't believe you're already shoving another product out the door - when you haven't even ironed out the vast amount of bugs in the existing product...

Is this thing going to be marketed at Android users?

Any likelihood EVER of having a Linux running on these and existing Pine64 boards that goes beyond Kernel 3.10 (which is pretty much EOL anyway)?

Have you tested out working prototypes with Gigabit ethernet, Bluetooth and Wifi ?

What resolution will the monitor run at? 1280x720?

I'm intrigued by the product, by also HIGHLY skeptical of you guys ever pulling this off successfully...
(01-23-2017, 12:39 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: Can't believe you're already shoving another product out the door - when you haven't even ironed out the vast amount of bugs in the existing product...

Is this thing going to be marketed at Android users?  

Any likelihood EVER of having a Linux running on these and existing Pine64 boards that goes beyond Kernel 3.10 (which is pretty much EOL anyway)?

Have you tested out working prototypes with Gigabit ethernet, Bluetooth and Wifi ?

What resolution will the monitor run at?  1280x720?

I'm intrigued by the product, by also HIGHLY skeptical of you guys ever pulling this off successfully...

As for shoving out another product when you still have bugs. That only applies when a new product stagnets bug fixing. In other words if the new products do not hinder what needs to be done it should be ok.
Actually, it will be much easier to solve bugs of Pinebook, because of much more closed form and identical hardware also better performance due to the use of eMMC.

There's ongoing Linux mainlining effort from Sunxi. It's still a long way to go, but it starts to be useable. 3.10 is still very often used kernel for Android distros, so this is also the reason why Allwinner supports mostly only this one. As I said I expect the Mainline kernel start to be usable in upcoming months.

Still, Pinebook will be an interesting device for lightweight play, even on 3.10 for Android or Linux.
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
I know there are plenty of issues with the Pine board, but let's face it... every board like the Pine suffers these problems. Raspberry Pi included. But the Pi has been out much longer than the Pine, the community is larger, and of course.. problems also come down to each individual board in terms of what has been added, modified, etc.

I see Pine going further with products like the Pinebook. Everyone has the same starting device, that works out of the box, and allows you to throw Remix, Ubuntu, Debian, whatever on it.. and go. I'm a little worried about build quality, and durability. But we'll see.

I can already see people sitting in a Starbucks with this, and customers nearby glancing at it thinking it's a Macbook. Especially if you have Remix OS running, or Elementary (if possible).
(01-24-2017, 03:55 PM)ayufan Wrote: There's ongoing Linux mainlining effort from Sunxi. It's still a long way to go, but it starts to be useable.

Icenowy's near-mainline kernels work for me fine.  She released a few based on 4.9-rc, there's none for 4.10 but I'm currently using sunxi64-next-20170125 without a glitch.

None of monitors I own work with Mali400 so I can't test display (same for 3.10, an A10 laptop and Odroid-U2, so it's not a kernel issue), but at least booting, SD card, serial, ethernet and USB work well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,214 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 921 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,259 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,600 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 962 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,599 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,503 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,697 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,613 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  TOR Browser on the Pinebook Pro jay3gg 0 2,975 11-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jay3gg