Kernel for A64 git
Hi,

How can I use this kernel in Yocto Project?
(01-23-2017, 02:20 PM)mbt28 Wrote: Hi,

Use the BSP yocto layer for pine64 in https://github.com/mont3z/meta-pine64
Master branch supports yocto morty and there is also a branch for yocto krogoth.
(01-26-2017, 03:47 PM)mont3z Wrote:
(01-23-2017, 02:20 PM)mbt28 Wrote: Hi,

Use the BSP yocto layer for pine64 in https://github.com/mont3z/meta-pine64
Master branch supports yocto morty and there is also a branch for yocto krogoth.

Thanks Mont3z,

I have seen your work before, is this build support LCD screen? I started compiling with your work but I had to stop it since I didnt have time. Hopefully I will do during weekend.
I just pushed a new awesome Kernel release, syncs up with linux-stable 3.10.105 and adds various a couple of requested features . For details and update instructions, see the first post of this thread.

Get 3.10.105-0-pine64-longsleep-3 from https://www.stdin.xyz/downloads/people/l...ges/linux/
Thanks longsleep! Updated and is working great.
(03-11-2017, 12:19 PM)longsleep Wrote: I just pushed a new awesome Kernel release, syncs up with linux-stable 3.10.105 and adds various a couple of requested features . For details and update instructions, see the first post of this thread.

Get 3.10.105-0-pine64-longsleep-3 from https://www.stdin.xyz/downloads/people/l...ges/linux/

Thanks, you are awesome
@longsleep,

I try the script to create disk image, but it seems fail in the final stage. The "linux-pine64-latest.tar.xz" file is not updated. Actually, i are not sure if i operate this script correctly. May i know what does mean for below image? THX

1. simpleimage-pine64-latest.img.xz
2. linux-pine64-latest.tar.xz
3. xenial-pine64-bspkernel-20170831_172453_CST-1.img

=====================script command=====================
./build-pine64-image.sh ./simpleimage-pine64-latest.img.xz ./linux-pine64-latest.tar.xz

=============================error message============================
failed to stat() /home/charles/build-pine64-image/pine64-build-cyzvBurd6u/xenial-pine64-bspkernel-20170831_172453_CST-1.img

dear @longsleep

I have a request for you or any other if they want to step into.

I've been using linux on x86 arquitecture for many years.
and now I'm moving to the pine64 actually I have two A64+ and waiting for the new A64-LTS
so far I installed and image based on your kernel and it works fine.
however when I try to do more advanced things I'm running into isues
That's when I tryed to figureout how to customize or made my own kernel/images

I'm not a developer and I have limited ability to patch/modify the kernel.
I've been reading a lot of your documentation about the kernel and uboot and how to create images.\
but unforntunatelly I'm lost.

So I wonder if you could clarify a couple of concepts.

1 boot process.
I think we have to split the boot proces for pine in two (I think this is the same for most of the boards).
1 uboot => it kind of replaces the bios for x86 makes the hw boot and pass control over the linux kernel.
(I guess once you have one installed that is able to pass control to the sd kernel image you do not need to worry to much about it)
2 kernel image / initrd image If I understand right we need to patch the kernel with files provided by the vendor (all-winner)
I guess there is not an easy way of getting latest kernel from mainstream and just apply some patches and have a valid kernel image
so I guess we(not developers) are stuck with pre build images made by the community and for that I'm gratefull.
if there is a way please could you do a quick doc for dummies like me?

2 why.
could you share your ideas about why all these boards have such complicated process?
do you think there will be a time when main linux distro will run out of the box on "any board" I mean pine, rasp, orage pi... etc
I really linke the idea of this arm boards in terms of compute power and energy eficiency, and size they allow us to do small projects on a budget.
but on the other hand.. if they can not behave like pc-like boards where you just go to the distro mainstream download latest version and manage upgrades and images directly from there. that really limits the people that can use them. an that's a pitty.

what do you think is the future for these kind of boards? do you see an standard in the near or far future?

Thank you verry much for all of you who want to share your thoughts on this.
hi, i'm not sure if longsleep reads these forums that much these days and i think based on what i have read over the past year that longsleep is not much active in the development process anymore. for the most part ayufan has been the primary developer for much of the past year or so. although longsleep could be something of a silent contributor to the code i have not read of that. so, you might want to see if you can find a current email for longsleep or log into chat and ask about status there or direct questions to ayufan.
Indeed dkryder is correct, ayufan has incorporated much of longleep's work into his branch. 
Please see ayufan's github for A64 sources as well as complete Linux and Android builds. 

Since this thread is outdated at this point in time I will lock it.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineA64+: Audio in 5.0 Kernel puzzles 6 8,767 11-13-2019, 09:41 AM
Last Post: roel
  Rockpro64 NFS root mount (kernel 4.20) - ethernet help? tenspd137 0 2,872 12-06-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: tenspd137
  NVMe and new kernel bjbb17 0 2,564 09-25-2018, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjbb17
  Real-time linux kernel Artyom 45 70,798 09-11-2018, 01:08 AM
Last Post: zzwpine
  DKMS on kernel 3.10.107-pine64 obrienmd 5 8,415 06-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Gentoo for pine64 - longsleep kernel incoherent 0 3,587 12-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: incoherent
  [SOLVED] UEFI + Fedora Mainline Kernel Booting! cztian 0 3,260 07-13-2017, 08:38 PM
Last Post: cztian
  Mainline kernel [Solved] jeroen79 11 18,948 02-08-2017, 06:19 AM
Last Post: umiddelb
Question Need help : Issue in running compiled kernel with tftp+uboot dinesh.bhoyar 2 4,547 01-30-2017, 12:44 AM
Last Post: dinesh.bhoyar
  Jackd triggers kernel warning cztian 0 3,456 09-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Last Post: cztian