Seems pretty dead in here
Last post was in October. I haven't been around in a couple of months myself. Thought I'd poke my head in and see if anything new has developed, and it would appear not. Are people still gaming on their Pine or have they moved on to other things by now? I recall reading through a convoluted mess of linked threads/websites that some sort of retropie-ish interface was being worked on, but (of course) allwinner was being a b**** about releasing needed info to make things work. Or something. I dunno. Is there anyone around here even still?
PINE A64+ w/ 2GB SDRAM, 8GB MicroSD Card, Basic Media Remote, Acrylic Open Enclosure, Wifi/Bluetooth Module, 5V 2A Power Supply.
Backer number #26,231  + KS Funded Jan 16, 2016 + Backerkit funded March 10, 2016

I'm waiting on progress for the drm kernal and some sort of instructions. Had a go at compiling and had problems with driver versions and stuff.

Mame does support opengles 2.0 from what I have been reading so I want to do this in linux.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
(12-07-2016, 02:26 AM)birdcatx7 Wrote: Last post was in October. I haven't been around in a couple of months myself.

what are you talking about !

... all you need to do is click "view today's posts" , or "view new posts"  and you'll find out that this forum is posted to every day;  many times.  

?
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
last post before this thread was 10 - 18 - 2016, as shown in the attachment.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

PINE A64+ w/ 2GB SDRAM, 8GB MicroSD Card, Basic Media Remote, Acrylic Open Enclosure, Wifi/Bluetooth Module, 5V 2A Power Supply.
Backer number #26,231  + KS Funded Jan 16, 2016 + Backerkit funded March 10, 2016

(12-08-2016, 12:58 AM)birdcatx7 Wrote: last post before this thread was 10 - 18 - 2016, as shown in the attachment.

Thank you for clarifying.

... many of us are into reading all updated threads every day ; the forum is quite active-- far from dead.

On the other hand, gaming has limited application on the pine board, and media center application is limited as well;  consequently those sub-forums are likely to have reduced activity. 

It may be that we need to reorganize the sub-forums to be more up-to-date with use cases today.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Just got a board from a friend who decided to back it and then never used the thing. He described the Pine as a Raspberry Pi with better specs.

Since I just got an HDMI input television, I was about to start on RPi and make an emulation station. So getting something even stronger than a Pi3 was attractive to me, and I took the Pine off his hands.

I am just now sifting through all of the gaming information here... but since this thread exists.... was gaming on the Pine64 a total bust? I have hopes of getting RetroArch and MedNaFen going, but if I am better off running them from a laptop it would be nice to save a few hours of research.
(12-19-2016, 11:51 PM)xienwolf Wrote: Just got a board from a friend who decided to back it and then never used the thing.  He described the Pine as a Raspberry Pi with better specs.

Since I just got an HDMI input television, I was about to start on RPi and make an emulation station.  So getting something even stronger than a Pi3 was attractive to me, and I took the Pine off his hands.

I am just now sifting through all of the gaming information here... but since this thread exists.... was gaming on the Pine64 a total bust?   I have hopes of getting RetroArch and MedNaFen going, but if I am better off running them from a laptop it would be nice to save a few hours of research.

I'll keep it short: you can emulate games from android just fine. If you want to run linux with the emulation station front-end, then look somewhere else.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(12-20-2016, 03:14 AM)Luke Wrote: I'll keep it short: you can emulate games from android just fine. If you want to run linux with the emulation station front-end, then look somewhere else.

Succinct and insanely helpful.  Now I know which way to go with my research and eventual setup!
(12-21-2016, 02:56 PM)xienwolf Wrote:
(12-20-2016, 03:14 AM)Luke Wrote: I'll keep it short: you can emulate games from android just fine. If you want to run linux with the emulation station front-end, then look somewhere else.

Succinct and insanely helpful.  Now I know which way to go with my research and eventual setup!

Yes Android is definitely the way to go for anything media. That being watching videos (including streaming using Youtube, Netflix, Kodi) or creating an emulator station (i have used it at least for snes, n64 worked but the emulator was a bit rubbish, you have to test a few i guess ;-)).