Redis Cluster
My first project is to try the Pine64 as a Redis Cluster by using several boards.  Redis is limited by network connections, ram, and to a very small extent disk space.  Because it's very easy to shard and cluster Redis, I think that that Pine64 would actually make a great Redis cluster.  Each board could be running a master instance and a slave instance for another master.  While the limited 2GB of RAM is still an issue with the Pine64, if you had say 10 boards, you could have essentially 10 masters and 10 slaves sharding the database thus giving you 10Gbps network throughput and 40 cores running only about 25 watts.  Sure you won't store the entire Google database, but compared to a standard server, the cost / watt performance should be extremely good.
(02-10-2016, 07:59 AM)ataylorm Wrote: My first project is to try the Pine64 as a Redis Cluster by using several boards.  Redis is limited by network connections, ram, and to a very small extent disk space.  Because it's very easy to shard and cluster Redis, I think that that Pine64 would actually make a great Redis cluster.  Each board could be running a master instance and a slave instance for another master.  While the limited 2GB of RAM is still an issue with the Pine64, if you had say 10 boards, you could have essentially 10 masters and 10 slaves sharding the database thus giving you 10Gbps network throughput and 40 cores running only about 25 watts.  Sure you won't store the entire Google database, but compared to a standard server, the cost / watt performance should be extremely good.

Please try out. If needs assistance from us, just PM me.
... TL Lim
(02-10-2016, 06:59 PM)tllim Wrote: Please try out. If needs assistance from us, just PM me.
... TL Lim

So far so good, I got my boards on Saturday, and had a busy weekend, so just got Redis going this morning, but it seems to be running fine on Ubuntu.  I'll post details and benchmarks soon.
(06-13-2016, 09:46 AM)ataylorm Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 06:59 PM)tllim Wrote: Please try out. If needs assistance from us, just PM me.
... TL Lim

So far so good, I got my boards on Saturday, and had a busy weekend, so just got Redis going this morning, but it seems to be running fine on Ubuntu.  I'll post details and benchmarks soon.
Smile