NAS setup
Anyway to turn this  board into a NAS?  I can only fumble my way through Linux, but was hoping someone could point me into the direction of converting this board into a functional network storage device.
You can just set up smb or use the OMV img that was once posted here and just set up everything you want / need from the browser.

If all you want is connect an external HDD (remember to use a powered hub!) and not fiddle with anything, then just download any base img, ssh into the pine64, and follow these instructions (they are for the pi but will work just the same on the pine): http://raspberrywebserver.com/serveradmi...twork.html

Just adjust the parameters for ubuntu or debian ! .... so if you go with debian: smbpasswd -a debian
and in path: path=/home/debian
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

The pine64 2G/1G versions have the compute power and network throughput to operate as an NAS (network attached storage) device.  But they do not have either sata or esata, so your best attachment to drives are through an usb 2.0 (480Mbit tops) interface, which is shared among all devices (single collision domain).

And that part of it stinks.  No getting around it.  That makes if at best, a low performing NAS.  It will work, and if its performance is adequate, then do build it.  Just don't look for sustained performance greater than that 480Mbit usb 2.0 choke point.

David
David, the lip smacking pirate hedgehog.  "SHIVER me timbers!"  
(10-12-2016, 12:22 PM)Luke Wrote: You can just set up smb or use the OMV img that was once posted here and just set up everything you want / need from the browser.

If all you want is connect an external HDD (remember to use a powered hub!) and not fiddle with anything, then just download any base img, ssh into the pine64, and follow these instructions (they are for the pi but will work just the same on the pine): http://raspberrywebserver.com/serveradmi...twork.html

Just adjust the parameters for ubuntu or debian !  .... so if you go with debian: smbpasswd -a debian

Thanks Luke, I will give that a try.

(10-12-2016, 01:10 PM)tampadave Wrote: The pine64 2G/1G versions have the compute power and network throughput to operate as an NAS (network attached storage) device.  But they do not have either sata or esata, so your best attachment to drives are through an usb 2.0 (480Mbit tops) interface, which is shared among all devices (single collision domain).

And that part of it stinks.  No getting around it.  That makes if at best, a low performing NAS.  It will work, and if its performance is adequate, then do build it.  Just don't look for sustained performance greater than that 480Mbit usb 2.0 choke point.

David

Thanks for your input, but I have to try it.
(10-12-2016, 02:06 PM)clarkss12 Wrote:
(10-12-2016, 12:22 PM)Luke Wrote: You can just set up smb or use the OMV img that was once posted here and just set up everything you want / need from the browser.

Just adjust the parameters for ubuntu or debian !  .... so if you go with debian: smbpasswd -a debian

Thanks Luke, I will give that a try.

(10-12-2016, 01:10 PM)tampadave Wrote: The pine64 2G/1G versions have the compute power and network throughput to operate as an NAS (network attached storage) device.  But they do not have either sata or esata, so your best attachment to drives are through an usb 2.0 (480Mbit tops) interface, which is shared among all devices (single collision domain).

David

Thanks for your input, but I have to try it.

No worries. If you need help with setting it up then you know where to find me :Smile
What tempadave said is of course correct, but unless you really want to transfer huge or many files simultaneously, then I think that the pine does alright as a little backup NAS.

Here is my situation. I have an older Synology NAS, DS211j, and a newer WD MyCloud 4TByte NAS (used for my DVR backend with SiliconDust tuners). I also have an external WD Elements 4Tbyte hard drive, that I have recorded TV shows BlueRay rips stored. I started out with the external HD attached to my newer WD NAS, but it seemed to cause problems sometimes with my DVR backend, so I moved it to my older Synology NAS. Using it on the Synology NAS is a pain, because it is soooo slow.

That is why I want to move it to my Pine board to see how it works.

Right now, I have been tinkering with my new Mi Box and my new Zidoo X9S, so haven't tried it yet. Also, the Zidoo is supposed to support a NAS function also, but have not tried it yet.
Is there any way to connect storage to the 1 G bit Ethernet connection to get around this limitation (480M bit usb 2.0)?
(10-19-2016, 03:03 PM)Bob123456789 Wrote: Is there any way to connect storage to the 1 G bit Ethernet connection to get around this limitation (480M bit usb 2.0)?

Nope, not to my knowledge.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  need help, looking to setup NAS server over OpenWRT subbu 0 2,573 05-26-2018, 07:48 AM
Last Post: subbu