Where to start
Hi there,
I am starting with my Pine64 board and want to install OpenHab.  As it is, I have an empty SD card.  So my question is how to proceed to get up and running with openhab.
Thanks,
(09-28-2016, 06:41 AM)Freedom1029 Wrote: Hi there,
I am starting with my Pine64 board and what to install OpenHab.  As it is, I have and empty SD card.  So my question is how to proceed to get up and running with openhab.
Thanks,

You can make a start here.

I'm planning to look into setting up openHAB in the next few days, so we can maybe help each other out along the way.
The even better link to get started is this one.
(09-28-2016, 07:35 AM)kai Wrote: The even better link to get started is this one.

Many thanks, Kai.

How do you navigate to that link you just posted from the main Pine wiki page? If I follow software/image downloads, I don't find it, only the link I posted earlier. I know I can just click or touch on the link you just posted, but I want to be able to direct people to the relevant bit of the main Pine wiki.

Cheers. I hope I can get my head around openHAB.
Ghost and Kai, thanks for the info. Indeed those two pages are a good place to start. After reading the content, can someone explain to me how do I get connected in serial console. Ghost we can for sure help each other out along the way no problem, however I feel like I have a lot to learn. I plan to build my own sensors from mysensors.org.

Thanks again.
(09-29-2016, 06:21 AM)Freedom1029 Wrote: Ghost and Kai, thanks for the info. Indeed those two pages are a good place to start.  After reading the content, can someone explain to me how do I get connected in serial console.  Ghost we can for sure help each other out along the way no problem, however I feel like I have a lot to learn.  I plan to build my own sensors from mysensors.org.

Thanks again.

I'm completely new to this, so we can stumble through and discover as we go along. For serial console connection, I have had it confirmed by pfeerick, that we need something like this. I've got one on the way.

One end plugs into the Pine, whilst the other connects to a USB port on an external computer. We will then need to download a program such as putty or kitty (Windows) or a program called Screen for Linux based machines (not sure of the alternative for Mac). 

From there, having all that in place, we can access the Pine via serial console. Theoretically.
Funnily enough... the reason I probably didn't know of any alternatives off the top of my head is it appears Mac OS can also run screen. There is also an app in their app store called Serial, but I don't know anything about it as I don't use Mac!

@Ghost: If we need to recommend a single cross-platform tool, CoolTerm would probably fit the bill, as it is available for Windows, Mac & Linux. I have had issues with the windows version at times (crashing), but it is still a useful app. And it appears that the OpenHAB page kai linked can only be found via the search as it appears that "No pages link to Pine A64 openHAB Release. " Big Grin Big Grin

(09-29-2016, 06:40 AM)Ghost Wrote: One end plugs into the Pine, whilst the other connects to a USB port on an external computer. We will then need to download a program such as putty or kitty (Windows) or a program called Screen for Linux based machines (not sure of the alternative for Mac). 
(09-29-2016, 06:40 AM)Ghost Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 06:21 AM)Freedom1029 Wrote: Ghost and Kai, thanks for the info. Indeed those two pages are a good place to start.  After reading the content, can someone explain to me how do I get connected in serial console.  Ghost we can for sure help each other out along the way no problem, however I feel like I have a lot to learn.  I plan to build my own sensors from mysensors.org.

Thanks again.

I'm completely new to this, so we can stumble through and discover as we go along. For serial console connection, I have had it confirmed by pfeerick, that we need something like this. I've got one on the way.

One end plugs into the Pine, whilst the other connects to a USB port on an external computer. We will then need to download a program such as putty or kitty (Windows) or a program called Screen for Linux based machines (not sure of the alternative for Mac). 

From there, having all that in place, we can access the Pine via serial console. Theoretically.

Is there a reason you don't want to use ssh? Serial is really nice for troubelshooting purposes, but 99% of the time access via ssh would suffice. Also openhab2 allows you to configure a lot via the webinterface already.
(09-30-2016, 03:25 AM)j.hoekstra Wrote: Is there a reason you don't want to use ssh? Serial is really nice for troubelshooting purposes, but 99% of the time access via ssh would suffice. Also openhab2 allows you to configure a lot via the webinterface already.

I'm presuming it is due to the fact that for the initial setup, the network and/or SSH isn't configured yet! Big Grin After you have network access, SSH is indeed the more practical option... Then again... although the notes for the image do state that it is " a headless build, the setup process thru serial console, no HDMI video output" - it does seem to indicate openhab will be accessible via http;//openhab:8080, so I suspect you could SSH it if the ethernet is plugged in. Ghost would have a better idea of that than me... I haven't tried that image.
I guess if I connect my Pine64 to the network via cable and boot, the device should appear in my router, and from there I could get it's ip address or by using some sort of IP scanning software.  Then use Putty from my pc to connect to it using the ip, login and password.
Would that make sense?