Etcher, the superior burning choice!
Seems I am not the only one having problems with Etcher.
https://github.com/resin-io/etcher/issues/995
(02-12-2017, 09:25 AM)Traveler Wrote: Seems I am not the only one having problems with Etcher.

Indeed no. Plenty of reports all over with people having issues using etcher...
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(02-12-2017, 12:03 PM)Luke Wrote:
(02-12-2017, 09:25 AM)Traveler Wrote: Seems I am not the only one having problems with Etcher.

Indeed no. Plenty of reports all over with people having issues using etcher...

Yeah, I had some problems a few versions back... if you have it and it's working, it's probably best to not update, as whilst Etcher is pretty stable, it is still in beta, and new version can break things. Having said that, since Rufus has the 'Check device for bad blocks' option (so you can verify the USB/SD card isn't a fake/faulty) , I feel it is a very worthy alternative on Windows systems.
So, 2 more reports of etcher now working properly in the past 8 days - one report from a Win8 and one from MacOS user. Neither of the users received an error report that writing to the microSD failed. 

Think its safe to recommend other utilities for the time being:

For windows use the win32diskimager
and for Mac OS the ApplePi Baker
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

i do not hear people mention ubuntu image write very often, if ever-i can't remember. but it works and i have never had an issue with an image produced by it, nor any error messages during use.
(03-01-2017, 08:02 PM)dkryder Wrote: i do not hear people mention ubuntu image write very often, if ever-i can't remember. but it works and i have never had an issue with an image produced by it, nor any error messages during use.

Is that the GUI image writer tool built into Ubuntu? I've used that a few times and it seems to get the job done! Wink

For Windows, if Etcher starts playing up, I switch to Rufus... it is a small download (less than 1MB), and is good for formating SD and USB devices, and also for writing disc images. In the attached screenshot, there are five steps shown. 

1) Select your device - it might automatically be picked if you don't have any other USB or SD devices plugged in.
2) (optional) Have Rufus automatically check for bad blocks / damage to your USB/SD card - a good way to check for counterfeit cards.
3) Tell rufus that you want to make a bootable disk...
4) ... using a DD image ...
5) ... then click this to browse for and select your image file.

Then just click the start button and watch Rufus go! Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I had previously reported problems with Etcher and Win7. I have since solved my problem. I was trying to use my laptops built in SD card port. Once I got a USB card reader all went well. Other image writer programs worked fine with the built in card port.
Will Etcher run on the 14 inch Pinebook? I'm having a hell of a time.
(06-22-2017, 08:16 AM)macacob Wrote: Will Etcher run on the 14 inch Pinebook?  I'm having a hell of a time.

You don't run Etcher on the pinebook.

...  you run Etcher on your PC, Mac, whatever/   you burn the Installer SD card with Etcher, then boot the SD card in the pinebook.

The Installer then 'downloads' the image for the pinebook to the eMMC module.  The Installer does NOT move the image from the SD card;  you need a network connection so that the Installer can download the image to the eMMC.

Come visit us on the irc for live help;

(see below)
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(06-22-2017, 08:26 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(06-22-2017, 08:16 AM)macacob Wrote: Will Etcher run on the 14 inch Pinebook?  I'm having a hell of a time.

You don't run Etcher on the pinebook.

...  you run Etcher on your PC, Mac, whatever/   you burn the Installer SD card with Etcher, then boot the SD card in the pinebook.

The Installer then 'downloads' the image for the pinebook to the eMMC module.  The Installer does NOT move the image from the SD card;  you need a network connection so that the Installer can download the image to the eMMC.

Come visit us on the irc for live help;

(see below)
I have Etcher on a windows desktop, which is fine. But is it not possible to use Pinebook to write an SD card for another of my Pine64 boards for example?
In general I have been unable to get any AppImage to work on Pinebook.  

Thanks for the fast reply.  I appreciate it.