Battery Backup for media center.
Greetings everyone!

I've purchased Pine 64 specifically for a car media server is going to be built into glove compartment.
In order for my project comes to fruition the pine 64 needs a battery backup that via a script in once the car is turned off to gracefully shut down.

The battery needs to charge through micro USB. I'm looking for a product that is the quickest/simple plug-and-play setup that is safe to use. I've read quite a few threads but there's a lot of different opinions and setups. Thoughts and links to products?
HI,
I purchased a battery with my Pine64 2G through Kickstarter. It came with the connector to fit the Pine64 board and charges just fine through the micro USB connector. I think you can get this battery through the Pine64.org store.
I hope I did not misunderstand you question.

Edit: On checking the store I do not see the rechargeable battery offered. Not sure if it will be up later. I have seen several items that come and go so they may only list the items they have in stock.

I would send a question email to the Pine64.org store. Good luck

The Pine64 battery I got was 8,000ma.  This is a 10,000ma battery:
https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Battery-T...7v+battery

I was unable to find the connector. (3pin PH type connector) Again, check with the pine64.org store.

(09-12-2016, 09:28 AM)Zone Wrote: Greetings everyone!

I've purchased Pine 64 specifically for a car media server is going to be built into glove compartment.
In order for my project comes to fruition the pine 64 needs a battery backup that via a script in once the car is turned off to gracefully shut down.

The battery needs to charge through micro USB. I'm looking for a product that is the quickest/simple plug-and-play setup that is safe to use. I've read quite a few threads but there's a lot of different opinions and setups. Thoughts and links to products?
(09-12-2016, 09:28 AM)Zone Wrote: The battery needs to charge through micro USB. I'm looking for a product that is the quickest/simple plug-and-play setup that is safe to use. I've read quite a few threads but there's a lot of different opinions and setups. Thoughts and links to products?

Please read through the following thread for connecting the Pine boards via 12v system.

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1982

I power my Pine boards via the euler bus pin(4  5v+)  and  pin(6 ground);  I feed this via 12v system utilizing the CPT (car power technology) dc-dc converter offered on the Pine store-- and other places.  The Pine then gets its power directly from the 12v system on your vehicle. 

Of course you will need to design the power-up and power-down circuitry and scripts. Notice from the thread above the passive low-pass filter that is used.  This is necessary not only because dc-dc converters are typically 'noisy' but also because automobile electrical systems are typically noisy also. 

Also be warned , there are two things your pine board is going to hate 1) heat,  2) electrostatic discharge--- and every automobile is famous for having both.  That will need to be considered in your design too.

The last piece (and perhaps the most important) your pine board is NOT a media center and does not work well (in any environment or OS) as a media center. YMMV of course!
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(09-12-2016, 05:47 PM)formsMarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(09-12-2016, 09:28 AM)Zone Wrote: The battery needs to charge through micro USB. I'm looking for a product that is the quickest/simple plug-and-play setup that is safe to use. I've read quite a few threads but there's a lot of different opinions and setups. Thoughts and links to products?

Please read through the following thread for connecting the Pine boards via 12v system.

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1982

I power my Pine boards via the euler bus pin(4  5v+)  and  pin(6 ground);  I feed this via 12v system utilizing the CPT (car power technology) dc-dc converter offered on the Pine store-- and other places.  The Pine then gets its power directly from the 12v system on your vehicle. 

Of course you will need to design the power-up and power-down circuitry and scripts. Notice from the thread above the passive low-pass filter that is used.  This is necessary not only because dc-dc converters are typically 'noisy' but also because automobile electrical systems are typically noisy also. 

Also be warned , there are two things your pine board is going to hate 1) heat,  2) electrostatic discharge--- and every automobile is famous for having both.  That will need to be considered in your design too.

The last piece (and perhaps the most important) your pine board is NOT a media center and does not work well (in any environment or OS) as a media center. YMMV of course!

I'm not it's technically inclined maybe some might be in most of these forums. Post links to products to purchase to help achieve my goal. Such as CPT (car power technology) dc-dc converter (which I don't see in the Pine store), premade low-pass filter, and a battery, and 3pin PH type connector. I know enough to know that there's a lot of quality issues with these kinds of items but not enough to tell something that's up to spec to use Pine 64... Hence to request for "I'm looking for a product that is the quickest/simple plug-and-play setup that is safe to use". Thank you for your help thus far!
(09-13-2016, 08:38 AM)Zone Wrote: ...  Such as CPT (car power technology) dc-dc converter (which I don't see in the Pine store), premade low-pass filter, and a battery, and 3pin PH type connector. I know enough to know that there's a lot of quality issues with these kinds of items but not enough to tell something that's up to spec to use Pine 64... Hence to request for "I'm looking for a product that is the quickest/simple plug-and-play setup that is safe to use". Thank you for your help thus far!

I understand. I am totatlly a DIY tech guy, build my own stuff almost exclusively (had many years of experience doing that, but its not for everyone).

You're going to find that there really isn't much plug-and-play anything for the PineA64 boards; almost nothing.  If you need it, you're going to have to build it, or pay somebody to build it for you;  especially for automotive applications.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineA64 battery in Germany (specifications or alternatives) burningkrome 0 3,090 12-02-2018, 04:10 AM
Last Post: burningkrome
  Lithion 3.7 volt PineA64 battery Model 9070120P MarkHaysHarris777 9 14,107 12-10-2016, 10:01 AM
Last Post: mcrognale
  RTC Backup Battery Holder CR-2032 Issues steveslim 11 25,483 09-08-2016, 07:02 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Battery Power clackamas 3 7,147 06-13-2016, 02:18 PM
Last Post: clackamas