Losing WiFi Connection on Android Everytime
My Pine64+ 2GB (Android) & wifi module worked out of the box. There was no problem for the first 2 weeks or so.

But I am recently having a problem with losing internet connection. What has been working is reseating the module & the SD card. When I do those, the wifi connection works fine, although poorly.

The wifi is ok for the duration of my use session. The next time I use my Pine64 again, I'm back to square one with my wifi connection problem.

My Pine64+ & Verizon FiOS Quantum router can see each other. Attempt to ping the Pine64 from the router is unsuccessful, though.

Is there any troubleshoot I can do to address the issue. Obviously, the WiFi module works, but does not work all the time. I hope this is just a software issue.
Follow me on Twitter: @MarlonRibunal
Follow my blog: SQL, Code, Coffee, etc.  
Remove all power from the unit.

Pull the wifi module off the PineA64 and carefully clean each and every pin on the board that the wifi module plugs into.

Sometimes the manufacturing process leaves flux and other residue on the pins. If this is not cleaned off before shipment you will need to clean it off yourself, or suffer an intermittent connection issue, not to mention possible oxidation and moisture and other problems.

Did you install the wifi antenna ?

The antenna is actually the little L shaped adhesive thing on the end of the cable. The rest of the antenna is 'just' a cable. Keep the 'actual antenna' (the L shaped piece) high, and away from everything else; especially metal objects, metal desk, your hands, etc.

More than likely cleaning the pins will fix this issue; however, you may have an environmental issue too, and you may have a networking issue.

But, let's cover the simple basic things first.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Hi,

I think I'm experiencing the same thing with Android and RemixOS builds, so I'll bump this instead of making a new thread. It shows that it's working, and will connect, but it runs super slow for a few seconds if I'm lucky, and then stops. Bluetooth is working fine. On Debian, it sort of does the same thing but I can disable the ethernet and it starts working (which could have been a coincidence, but that happened a few times). Disabling ethernet in Android doesn't seem to help. I've tried taking the module off and cleaning it multiple times and it hasn't made any difference.

Its intended use is a media center, so Debian is out of the question. However, since wifi on Debian seems to work well enough it must be a software issue on the Android builds, right? Ethernet on Android is working fine, but I have to run a cable from my desktop with internet sharing enabled, which kind of defeats the purpose. I have a Belkin USB wifi dongle which doesn't seem to work on the Pine64.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
(10-09-2016, 05:00 AM)vonflow Wrote: Hi,

I think I'm experiencing the same thing with Android and RemixOS builds, so I'll bump this instead of making a new thread. It shows that it's working, and will connect, but it runs super slow for a few seconds if I'm lucky, and then stops. Bluetooth is working fine. On Debian, it sort of does the same thing but I can disable the ethernet and it starts working (which could have been a coincidence, but that happened a few times). Disabling ethernet in Android doesn't seem to help. I've tried taking the module off and cleaning it multiple times and it hasn't made any difference.

Its intended use is a media center, so Debian is out of the question. However, since wifi on Debian seems to work well enough it must be a software issue on the Android builds, right? Ethernet on Android is working fine, but I have to run a cable from my desktop with internet sharing enabled, which kind of defeats the purpose. I have a Belkin USB wifi dongle which doesn't seem to work on the Pine64.

In my case, it wasn't a software issue. For some reason, the antenna that came with the wifi module (the L-shaped antenna with adhesive) kept losing its connection. I did some trial-and-error on positioning the antenna. It worked best when positioned away from the board.

What worked well, though, is replacing it with a duck antenna. I bought the interface cable and antenna from sparkfun (as suggested in another thread):

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/662

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/145
(10-10-2016, 01:34 PM)mribunal Wrote:
(10-09-2016, 05:00 AM)vonflow Wrote: Hi,

In my case, it wasn't a software issue. For some reason, the antenna that came with the wifi module (the L-shaped antenna with adhesive) kept losing its connection. I did some trial-and-error on positioning the antenna. It worked best when positioned away from the board.

What really worked well, though, is replacing it with a duck antenna. I bought the interface cable and antenna from sparkfun (as suggested in another thread):

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/662

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/145

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Better WiFi/BT module? moriel5 3 4,871 05-18-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: moriel5
  WIFI/BT Power Supply / VBAT-EXT xalius 3 4,596 08-12-2021, 06:41 AM
Last Post: Luke490
  Better WiFi/BT module? fonix232 20 24,278 08-11-2021, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Jean-Marc LACROIX
  Wifi / Bluetooth Board Update S265 2 4,066 07-30-2020, 04:53 PM
Last Post: S265
  Create a WiFi hotspot on Debian 8 JulianM 6 26,834 03-10-2019, 01:02 AM
Last Post: waqasnasir
  Schematics of Wifi/BT module gamelaster 7 9,468 09-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Last Post: gamelaster
  Installing another WiFi module on one of the buses mido2018 1 3,472 07-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Unable to activate wifi on Linux smouton 10 15,522 02-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Last Post: dkebler
  Pine64 doesn't recognize Wifi/BT Module clobeca 3 5,918 07-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
Sad wifi direct bj_jung 2 5,270 12-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Last Post: happytuna