Camera streaming to TV over long distance
I've been looking for a new CCTV camera for use at the curling rink since the ones we have now don't produce a sharp enough image to display details in some in-ice advertising, so I've been looking at a replacement camera with a better image quality. I found an action camera that can remote stream to an android device, but then that's 6 cameras x $200, plus the router, and the android device at the TV. 

The biggest problem is that the cameras are about 150 feet away from the monitors (so HDMI is out), and it needs to be split to 2 monitors per camera (1 downstairs, 1 upstairs)

What I was wondering is, could I connect a camera to one of these boards and use that as the camera, then connect that board via Cat6 to a board right beside the monitor, then have that one output to the TV via HDMI? Or is there a better solution? These cameras are about 20 feet up, so they'd have to either be constantly on, or automatically turn on when given power and send the video signal automatically. Currently we just have to turn the TV on and we've got video (BNC Camera), and I would like to keep it that simple since some people here aren't as tech savvy.
(01-25-2016, 10:28 AM)CanadianIceTech Wrote: I've been looking for a new CCTV camera for use at the curling rink since the ones we have now don't produce a sharp enough image to display details in some in-ice advertising, so I've been looking at a replacement camera with a better image quality. I found an action camera that can remote stream to an android device, but then that's 6 cameras x $200, plus the router, and the android device at the TV. 

The biggest problem is that the cameras are about 150 feet away from the monitors (so HDMI is out), and it needs to be split to 2 monitors per camera (1 downstairs, 1 upstairs)

What I was wondering is, could I connect a camera to one of these boards and use that as the camera, then connect that board via Cat6 to a board right beside the monitor, then have that one output to the TV via HDMI? Or is there a better solution? These cameras are about 20 feet up, so they'd have to either be constantly on, or automatically turn on when given power and send the video signal automatically. Currently we just have to turn the TV on and we've got video (BNC Camera), and I would like to keep it that simple since some people here aren't as tech savvy.

Why not purchase some cheap android devices [you can even use some old phones] or purchase a few Android P64's.
Use one as your TV display.
Use the others as CCTV cameras, with Cat6 or Wifi.

Install IP Webcam on the cameras.
Install tinyCam Monitor on the TV 

tinyCam Monitor can show all cameras at same time or can "slideshow" each cameras in fullscreen.

I use this setup at home [with old android phones]. Very low power consumption too.
Both pieces of software can be configured to run on  power on so is tolerant to power outages. Hmmm, tinyCam Monitor definately does. I think the IP Webcam does too. Both have Tasker support on their paid versions.

Suggest you thoroughly test all devices before putting them up high Smile
with android APP and camera and adjust you router, you can stream camera, if you live in USA and if you go in france, you can watch you home or other
(02-17-2016, 05:31 AM)RangeR Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 10:28 AM)CanadianIceTech Wrote: I've been looking for a new CCTV camera for use at the curling rink since the ones we have now don't produce a sharp enough image to display details in some in-ice advertising, so I've been looking at a replacement camera with a better image quality. I found an action camera that can remote stream to an android device, but then that's 6 cameras x $200, plus the router, and the android device at the TV. 

Why not purchase some cheap android devices [you can even use some old phones] or purchase a few Android P64's.

tinyCam Monitor can show all cameras at same time or can "slideshow" each cameras in fullscreen.

I use this setup at home [with old android phones]. Very low power consumption too.
Both pieces of software can be configured to run on  power on so is tolerant to power outages. Hmmm, tinyCam Monitor definately does. I think the IP Webcam does too. Both have Tasker support on their paid versions.

This why I ordered 3 pieces  of Pine64+ w/ 2GB of RAM!
I'm planning to build the exact CCTV system you describe, using USB cameras. My only concern is overheating.
As you probably know already, IP webcam tends to crash if the temperature of the CPU rises.

There are a few questions begging for answers:

Have anyone tried the Pine with IP Webcam and Tinycam Monitor ? If so, does it handle both applications adequately? Have there any unexpected crashes been noticed? What about temperatures while running both apps? These questions are in my head for weeks and weeks now and can't wait to get my hands on the boards and see how they do. 

One thing that is also crucial is the fact how good will the video-driver implementation be with Android 5.1.1 and Pine 64 (?) I do hope the guys have done a great job.

If everything goes as planned, this is going to be a fun CCTV project, low-cost and low consumption as well as fully upgradable and futureproof that will be capable of running reliably 24/7.
(03-09-2016, 03:29 PM)g_t_j Wrote:

I'm planning to build the exact CCTV system you describe, using USB cameras. My only concern is overheating.
As you probably know already, IP webcam tends to crash if the temperature of the CPU rises.

Have anyone tried the Pine with IP Webcam and Tinycam Monitor ? If so, does it handle both applications adequately? Have there any unexpected crashes been noticed? What about temperatures while running both apps? These questions are in my head for weeks and weeks now and can't wait to get my hands on the boards and see how they do. 

One thing that is also crucial is the fact how good will the video-driver implementation be with Android 5.1.1 and Pine 64 (?) I do hope the guys have done a great job.

If everything goes as planned, this is going to be a fun CCTV project, low-cost and low consumption as well as fully upgradable and futureproof that will be capable of running reliably 24/7.
I don't think CPU temperature will be a concern.
(03-09-2016, 04:05 PM)tllim Wrote:
(03-09-2016, 03:29 PM)g_t_j Wrote:

I don't think CPU temperature will be a concern.

That's the reasonable guess dear tllim.
I also hope the Pine will run very cool as the Cortex A53 is said to be one of the better processors when it comes to thermal performance. Besides, as these Pines are going to run as  servers, (running only one application without even a monitor attached to them), there won't be much of a struggle for the processor, so the temperature has to run in low levels.

I have read that this specific processor is ideal for building a server. If this statement is true, then it will be ideal in my case as well.
How did you get on with this?

The only over heating I found with IPWebCam was when I left the screen on while streaming. I just set it to run in the background and turned the screen off. No more heat issues on any phone I've used.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android USB camera support - Android 7.0 mikey0000 24 38,167 08-27-2018, 08:39 PM
Last Post: lee
  use uvc as primary camera mathiraj 11 13,052 03-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Last Post: dkryder
  Camera Support Thru Android devildog125 17 19,846 12-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Last Post: kenjiru
  UVC Camera support mikey0000 6 7,753 09-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Last Post: mikey0000
  Long boot times? No eth? utdrmac 3 4,528 06-10-2016, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Luke
Music RTC and Camera modules g_t_j 2 4,036 05-26-2016, 02:42 PM
Last Post: g_t_j
  Audio from Headphone Jack and Camera Issue cybernak 1 3,299 05-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Last Post: tllim
Question Android + Camera Peripheral T_ech 4 6,685 01-29-2016, 10:01 PM
Last Post: modsbyus