Lithion 3.7 volt PineA64 battery Model 9070120P

With this setup (lennyraposo debian mate), the 2G PineA64 and motor speed controlled fan, usb receiver, LED GPIO lab, gps module (in the foreground) using as a full desktop PC mid to heavy loading,  I am getting six (6) hours of continuous use from the Pine64 battery model 9070120p  8000 mah lithion.  

This is fairly consistent between my LCD cb&dt Play Box running Android.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-02-2016, 04:32 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: With this setup (lennyraposo debian mate), the 2G PineA64 and motor speed controlled fan, usb receiver, LED GPIO lab, gps module (in the foreground) using as a full desktop PC mid to heavy loading,  I am getting six (6) hours of continuous use from the Pine64 battery model 9070120p  8000 mah lithion.  

Nice!  That is a decent stretch.  Is it possible for this battery to power the multiport I2C as well?  I've not found info online to help on this issue.

I have the 2Gb board and this very battery but using it turns off the POT.

-a
(09-08-2016, 01:49 PM)alaskanson Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 04:32 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: With this setup (lennyraposo debian mate), the 2G PineA64 and motor speed controlled fan, usb receiver, LED GPIO lab, gps module (in the foreground) using as a full desktop PC mid to heavy loading,  I am getting six (6) hours of continuous use from the Pine64 battery model 9070120p  8000 mah lithion.  

Nice!  That is a decent stretch.  Is it possible for this battery to power the multiport I2C as well?  I've not found info online to help on this issue.

-a

when running on batt, you MUST move the 5v|batt jumper to BATT.  The jumper is next to the pine cone logo near the SD card slot.   While running on batt, the 5v needs to come from the on-board batt regulator and WILL NOT unless you move the jumper to BATT.
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Definitely tried that but to no avail.  Must be something wrong with the board?  Right now I'm simply using the micro-usb with a 13000mAh battery instead and just using the pine64 8000mAh as a backup.

Thanks anyways!

-a
(09-08-2016, 02:17 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 01:49 PM)alaskanson Wrote:

-a

when running on batt, you MUST move the 5v|batt jumper to BATT.  The jumper is next to the pine cone logo near the SD card slot.   While running on batt, the 5v needs to come from the on-board batt regulator and WILL NOT unless you move the jumper to BATT.
Just got the lithium battery in the mail today. I understand how to install it and the jumper config. My question is; does the power supply recharge the battery when it's running the board? Also since this is a brand new battery should I do the usual charge for XX hours prior to running from the battery?
Thanks,
Mike
(10-27-2016, 03:07 PM)mcrognale Wrote: Just got the lithium battery in the mail today. I understand how to install it and the jumper config. My question is; does the power supply recharge the battery when it's running the board? Also since this is a brand new battery should I do the usual charge for XX hours prior to running from the battery?
Thanks,
Mike

Yes, as soon as you connect the microUSB, as long as it is a three wire battery (i.e. like the official battery) or you have the 10k to GND bypass on the middle pin, the pine64s power management chip will start charging the battery as needed.

As far as charging before use... it isn't absolutely needed, but it won't hurt either. If you don't intend to disconnect the battery or run from the battery for 8-10 hours, you should be fine to just plug it in and let it charge while using the pine64, as the PMIC can continue to primarily run from the microUSB since that power is present. The charge-fully-before-use advice is more for devices that are solely battery powered, so you want to make sure the battery has had a full charge cycle before it is put into service.
Thanks very much. I suspected as much since this is the "official" back-up battery from Pine64. I need to solder in the on/off switch yet. Did the reset one already. Then I should be good to go in battery ops. Thanks again.
On the subject of battery charging... Any ideas what would stop this ? In have no voltage between the gnd & + pin. Even with the 10k bypass. When the battery was charged it ran the board fine but I was never convinced it was charging - and it is not :-(

Can I get a charging voltage from another pin anywhere ? Could I get charging from the Euler connector ? ?
When new technology rolls over, you are either part of the steam roller... or part of the road.
(12-08-2016, 11:44 AM)Jessica Spongekipper Wrote: On the subject of battery charging... Any ideas what would stop this ? In have no voltage between the gnd & + pin. Even with the 10k bypass. When the battery was charged it ran the board fine but I was never convinced it was charging -  and it is not  :-(

Can I get a charging voltage from another pin anywhere ? Could I get charging from the  Euler connector ? ?

No;  not safely anyway. 

... the PMIC controls the charging.  Make sure that your two wire system has the red (plus +) connector on the battery going to (+) on the vbat, and that the black wire on the battery (minus, ground) is going to the outside (-) on the vbat.  The center pin of vbat (normally yellow wire from battery) should connect to ground via a 10K ohm resistor !  Make sure all the connections are tight.  

This is STILL not the best.  (words to the wise) because you're missing the thermal sensor protection (which the PMIC also monitors) !   The PMIC makes sure that the batt is not under charged nor over charged and that the temperature of the battery does not get too high. 

I recommend a three wire system;  implement the two wire system at your own risk YMMV;  standard disclaimer.
marcushh777    Cool

Found out a couple of things for the battery recharging. When I plug in the adapter the system comes on, no biggie. What I discovered is that if you look at the battery settings during the charge cycle it stops at 99% with 7 minutes to full charge indicated but does not go beyond that. So I powered down the system and came back later and found it to be at 100% Fully Charged. Just thought I'd put that out for y'all.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb How many mA are the max for PineA64+? razgriz 0 2,192 04-21-2020, 04:13 AM
Last Post: razgriz
  PineA64 battery in Germany (specifications or alternatives) burningkrome 0 3,087 12-02-2018, 04:10 AM
Last Post: burningkrome
  Battery Backup for media center. Zone 4 8,154 09-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  RTC Backup Battery Holder CR-2032 Issues steveslim 11 25,474 09-08-2016, 07:02 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Battery Power clackamas 3 7,137 06-13-2016, 02:18 PM
Last Post: clackamas