Active Cooling 5v brushless fan with Motor Speed Controller soft PWM
So I finally got around to making this fancontrol on my PineA64 2Gb with Ubuntu Mate. It's in the C4Labs case, and it's looking quite sleek. 

As I don't have a glue gun or any nice way to fit things on the outside, I went for some double sided tape.
I managed so solder the transistor the wrong way the first time, and after soldering it off and back on (this time adding some shrink-sleeves as well), it works like a charm. I fired it up and checked if everything was working the way it was supposed to. The fan throttles slightly when the SOC temp is around 70°C when all cores run at 100% load. 
While checking, my solderingiron died on me for no apparent reason. It's just a 15W iron, but a quality brand. And I've only used it like 4 times. :/  

I'm going to add the fan-script as a service so I get it up and running on boot.

Here be pictars in an Imgur album.

(01-30-2017, 03:56 PM)CaptainZalo Wrote: So I finally got around to making this fancontrol on my PineA64 2Gb with Ubuntu Mate. It's in the C4Labs case, and it's looking quite sleek. 

As I don't have a glue gun or any nice way to fit things on the outside, I went for some double sided tape.
I managed so solder the transistor the wrong way the first time, and after soldering it off and back on (this time adding some shrink-sleeves as well), it works like a charm. I fired it up and checked if everything was working the way it was supposed to. The fan throttles slightly when the SOC temp is around 70°C when all cores run at 100% load. 
While checking, my solderingiron died on me for no apparent reason. It's just a 15W iron, but a quality brand. And I've only used it like 4 times. :/  

I'm going to add the fan-script as a service so I get it up and running on boot.

Here be pictars in an Imgur album.

And adding it to boot was about as easy as it gets:
sudo crontab -e
And on the bottom of the file I added  
Code:
@reboot nohup /path/to/fan_motor.sh

Now the fan starts when the Pine starts. Joy! Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Active Cooling 5v brushless fan with Motor Speed Controller soft PWM - by CaptainZalo - 01-30-2017, 03:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Controlling a Servo Motor casmiguefl 3 5,902 07-13-2017, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Active Cooling soft PWM follow-on fan motor speed controller driver MarkHaysHarris777 3 6,651 09-02-2016, 11:46 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  High-speed GPIOs dsnyder 3 4,870 05-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Last Post: martinayotte