Berryboot - Is dualboot for Pine64 possible with it?
Hi there!

I already asked something about possibility of dualboot.
This seems to be very tricky, but maybe we can use software for Raspberry Pi for it.

I found the software "berryboot" to boot different operating systems from only 1 (Micro)SD card.
How To Install Multiple OSes On A Single SD Card For Raspberry Pi

I've no idea if it'll works, but we should give it a try.
I would try it for myself, but I'll get my board first in March. So, I please the community to test this software or give a statement about this possibility.

Best regards
Julian
I just tried Berryboot on my Raspberry Pi 2 and it works like a charm.
What are the advantages of dual-booting as opposed to simply swapping out the micro sd card and changing operating systems that way?
Hi SkairkrohBule,

I'll build a tablet with the Pine64+ model and it would be really annoying to take 2 MicroSD cards if I'm on the way.

Changing the MicroSD cards at home with an open case would be no problem, but I'll build a case for travel and dualboot would be great for this scenario to boot Android or Ubuntu.

Best regards
Julian
(01-24-2016, 07:03 AM)JulianM Wrote: Hi SkairkrohBule,

I'll build a tablet with the Pine64+ model and it would be really annoying to take 2 MicroSD cards if I'm on the way.

Changing the MicroSD cards at home with an open case would be no problem, but I'll build a case for travel and dualboot would be great for this scenario to boot Android or Ubuntu.

Best regards
Julian

Ok, I see. So it's for convenience, really? That makes sense.

As there any other benefits? For example, can the two operating systems 'see' each other? Would it allow file exchange between the two operating systems?
(01-24-2016, 07:07 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: As there any other benefits? For example, can the two operating systems 'see' each other? Would it allow file exchange between the two operating systems?

I plan to get one large high speed SD, which can be quite expensive for cards with real read/write speeds close to their certification. Dual booting could potentially save a lot of $$$.

If an OS isn't using an encrypting FS then for sure the partitions could be mounted between them. I plan to have a separate third partition for storage which both can use. I personally like how knoppix would mount my windows disk as read only by default.
(01-24-2016, 07:18 AM)Opine Wrote:
(01-24-2016, 07:07 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: As there any other benefits? For example, can the two operating systems 'see' each other? Would it allow file exchange between the two operating systems?

I plan to get one large high speed SD, which can be quite expensive for cards with real read/write speeds close to their certification. Dual booting could potentially save a lot of $$$.

If an OS isn't using an encrypting FS then for sure the partitions could be mounted between them. I plan to have a separate third partition for storage which both can use. I personally like how knoppix would mount my windows disk as read only by default.

Hi , 

I want to help you , save your $$$ , no answer have true the micro sd speed for this pine64 now , because this new product , don't been quickly to buy new high speed sd card  , waiting some people have test the speed to ask you or report , because linux os have not download now on pine64 wiki

If your ship feb got this pine64 and have linux os can download to use , you can command test your using  sd card speed  , is or not to been enough your speed after to buy the new sd card 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This command for Debian , ubuntu i have not use , don't know this command is work !

check your driver command : lsblk 

test driver command : hdparm -t /dev/yourdriver

maybe some linux os is not installed this software , you can install this software command : sudo apt-get install hdparm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope can help you , happy to play pine64 , i have not  MicroSDXC UHS-1 Speed Class 3  (U3) Card , TL Lim asked speed maybe 50M .

[Image: 1pc7z9.png]

( my English is bad ) sorry
For microSD card, just get class 10 will work, not need to get UHS-3 type. However, don't use microSD card that below class 6, then the boot time can be slow.
I am currently running 32GB class 10 micro SD cards on all my single board computers. I will probably do the same for the Pine 64. I have never needed more than 32GB for storage and if I do I would probably just use an old external hard drive. This could be a good cheaper alternative for you as the micro SD card is about $11 and an external hard drive enclosure (For an old hard drive) can be less than $10. For reference a 128GB SD card costs around $50.

You could use the micro SD card for OS and the external hard drive for storage.
Any news on using a multiboot image system? My current SD card is 4gb. If I can change over to use a netboot image or image on a USB, I could do a lot more testing without having to wait for a new card to arrive.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine64 as squeezebox touch replacement Learnincurve 12 27,606 01-13-2021, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Pine64 E-ink screen - Android projectileobjects 4 9,450 12-03-2020, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Silk
  Pine64 based IP KVM tuaris 0 3,912 08-06-2020, 12:05 AM
Last Post: tuaris
Information Pine64 Head Unit Zoidiano0 100 139,653 11-19-2019, 04:35 AM
Last Post: rogatip79
  PINE64 to allow use of SATA disk on network/FTP mwelbourne 10 15,328 11-18-2019, 04:09 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  How to setup VNC on your Pine64 (Debian, SSH, headless) pine64nutz 20 42,150 04-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Last Post: hg6806
  Setup Pine64+ with OP-TEE stdys 0 3,494 09-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Last Post: stdys
Information UEFI for Pine64 z4v4l 20 37,209 06-24-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: z4v4l
  What about dualboot? JulianM 8 13,715 04-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Last Post: el.librero1800
  Domoticz + PINE64 Z-Wave Module + Open Z-Wave klliew 4 9,537 04-19-2018, 02:23 AM
Last Post: Harlan Mueller