Exclamation 
Hello

I've just run
Code:
sudo apt update
and
Code:
sudo apt upgrade
, I can no longer login. I get an almost black screen just after entering my PIN code. Please can somebody help me? I still use my Pinephone as a daily driver and I would really prefer not having to reinstall everything once more.
Stupid question: Turning off (perhaps even temporary remove battery) and on again doesn't help I guess?
Second (better) question: Did you have SSH enabled on the PinePhone? Or have a serial debugger cable?
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
(02-07-2023, 08:03 AM)dante404 Wrote: Stupid question: Turning off (perhaps even temporary remove battery) and on again doesn't help I guess?
Second (better) question: Did you have SSH enabled on the PinePhone? Or have a serial debugger cable?

I'll try your first suggestion.

I don't enable SSH for security reasons, full disk encryption is enabled. I have no serial debugger cable. However, Tow-boot works, I can access my files. If no solution can be found, I'll have to reinstall Mobian, convert the sqlite file containing my contacts into vcf, import my contacts with Evolution, copy Chatty sqlite file containing my messages (SMS and MMS), copy the directory containing my MMS files, install nemo, copy the MMS settings so that I can at least receive MMS and enter the two APNs (Internet + MMS). A better solution would be welcome but I guess it's expected as the software is still pre-beta and I won't buy an Android smartphone.
(02-07-2023, 09:19 AM)anonymous Wrote: I don't enable SSH for security reasons, full disk encryption is enabled. I have no serial debugger cable.
I understand... completely the same here! Wink

(02-07-2023, 09:19 AM)anonymous Wrote: However, Tow-boot works, I can access my files.
At least something! Smile
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
I'm really upset. I've spent hours in installing Mobian, I refused the theme change on Plymouth this time (to verify whether it helps or not) but when I reboot, I have the same problem, the screen is almost black after the login. The problem is that I'm forced to reboot frequently because of crashes occurring randomly, it's the only workaround I've found. I had to reboot because Gnome control settings application crashed when I tried to choose a language. Now I'm stuck. I'm fed up, I need a solution. I'll try to redo the install without upgrading. I'm very disappointed. It leads to nowhere, my mobile phone is becoming unusable.

Someone wrote "disable greetd and enable phosh" on the Matrix channel. I'm investigating.

I have to reinstall everything once again, I'll try this suggestion:
Code:
sudo systemctl start phosh && sudo systemctl stop greetd
to do it immediately
Code:
sudo systemctl disable greetd && sudo systemctl enable phosh
to set it from the next boot forever

I thank Marco for the tip.
Exclamation 
(02-07-2023, 01:38 PM)anonymous Wrote: I'm really upset. I've spent hours in installing Mobian, I refused the theme change on Plymouth this time (to verify whether it helps or not) but when I reboot, I have the same problem, the screen is almost black after the login. The problem is that I'm forced to reboot frequently because of crashes occurring randomly, it's the only workaround I've found. I had to reboot because Gnome control settings application crashed when I tried to choose a language. Now I'm stuck. I'm fed up, I need a solution. I'll try to redo the install without upgrading. I'm very disappointed. It leads to nowhere, my mobile phone is becoming unusable.

Someone wrote "disable greetd and enable phosh" on the Matrix channel. I'm investigating.

I have to reinstall everything once again, I'll try this suggestion:
Code:
sudo systemctl start phosh && sudo systemctl stop greetd
to do it immediately
Code:
sudo systemctl disable greetd && sudo systemctl enable phosh
to set it from the next boot forever

I thank Marco for the tip.

I confirm that Marco's advice works, my problem has been solved.
Congrats, good to hear! Smile
(02-08-2023, 05:54 AM)dante404 Wrote: Congrats, good to hear! Smile

Thanks but now I have some other problems to solve. Some tweaks for the Pinephone aren't installed by default in Firefox ESR and there are still some crashes. The workaround disables the logout, I can only power off. If greetd works for you, let me know.
Currently I have some crashes too (now at least 1 a day, sometimes 2-3 - But It was much worse for me the last weeks... oO ).
About greetd(?): I didn't change anything about login/logout like you, because I never had your initial problem - Sorry. Sad
(02-08-2023, 11:21 AM)dante404 Wrote: Currently I have some crashes too (now at least 1 a day, sometimes 2-3 - But It was much worse for me the last weeks... oO ).
About greetd(?): I didn't change anything about login/logout like you, because I never had your initial problem - Sorry. Sad

Don't be sorry but what is the difference between your settings and mine? Which language do you set on your Pinephone?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto start application on Phosh login Zebulon Walton 8 3,105 10-14-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  No volume control after latest updates Zebulon Walton 19 6,642 09-08-2023, 08:28 AM
Last Post: jessencan
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,538 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,138 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,246 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Exclamation The latest update of eg25-manager seems to cause frequent disconnections anonymous 12 4,025 11-28-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  [Fixed] Phosh crashes frequently after latest updates arno_nuehm 20 8,334 10-14-2022, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Krafter
  Latest Reliable Mobian Build Confirmation Thread Katsujinken 5 2,513 09-27-2022, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 4,997 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
  [SOLVED] Lost Internet connectivity after recent update drh 3 1,757 09-11-2022, 09:24 PM