Discover - "He's dead, Jim"
Hello,

I reactivated my Pinephone KDE CE with Manjaro/Plasma Mobile after quite a time. I ran a huge set of updates which caused only problems. I decided not to deal with them.

I flashed the latest available version of the OS and everything worked fine. While Discover said, that the system is up to date, pacman reported quite a bunch of updates. Since pacman is native to Manjaro, I run the updates.

Since then, whenever I try to run Discover, it always quits after a short time of loading with the message "He's dead Jim".

What could I do about this?

I can see some information in this crash info tool, but you can only read half of it, since it's outside the viewable area and it can't be brought into sight (neither drag/swipe nor screen rotation possible)
(02-05-2023, 05:05 AM)jojuma Wrote: Hello,

I reactivated my Pinephone KDE CE with Manjaro/Plasma Mobile after quite a time. I ran a huge set of updates which caused only problems. I decided not to deal with them.

I flashed the latest available version of the OS and everything worked fine. While Discover said, that the system is up to date, pacman reported quite a bunch of updates. Since pacman is native to Manjaro, I run the updates.

Since then, whenever I try to run Discover, it always quits after a short time of loading with the message "He's dead Jim".

I can see some information in this crash info tool, but you can only read half of it, since it's outside the viewable area and it can't be brought into sight (neither drag/swipe nor screen rotation possible)

You could run it from command line and check the debug output. Though I would recommend to do package management from command line only anyway, GUI package managers never worked great. Discover has no added value over the command line, IMO. Manjaro is also known to break more easily, you might have more fun with other distributions -> https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_S...e_Releases
I'm sorry I don't write this with quoting etc. It's hard enough to copy and paste this one phone's UI at all.
I was going with postmarketOS before that and that was fine. I just like to try out the different Community Editions that came out back then and get a bit familiar with them.

So I run Discover from the terminal. Maybe I shouldn't even go after this or just wait for the next update. But here is, what I got. Not sure, if that helps (the UI here doesn't let me select 'code'. When I get to a PC later that day, I'll edit this post to be better readable):

[jojumaxx@manjaro-arm ~]$ plasma-discover
QObject:ConfusedtartTimer: Timers cannot have negative intervals
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/templates/InlineMessage.qml:257:13: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
org.kde.plasma.libdiscover: error loading "fwupd-backend" "Die Bibliothek /usr/lib/qt/plugins/discover/fwupd-backend.so kann nicht geladen werden: (libfwupd.so.2: Kann die Shared-Object-Datei nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)" QJsonObject({"IID":"org.kde.muon.AbstractResourcesBackendFactory","archreq":0,"className":"FwupdBackendFactory","debug":false,"version":331520})                 
adding empty sources model QStandardItemModel(0xaaaad4dd4910)                                       
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/BasicListItem.qml:276:18: QML QQuickItem*: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"                 
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/GlobalDrawer.qml:357:17: QML RowLayout (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "preferredHeight"
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/GlobalDrawer.qml:378:13: QML ColumnLayout: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/GlobalDrawer.qml:378:13: QML ColumnLayout: Binding loop detected for property "height"
QQuickItem:ConfusedtackBefore: Cannot stack QQuickItem(0xaaaad4e63510, parent=0xaaaad49bdf90, geometry=0,0 0x0) before QQuickPopupItem(0xaaaad4800e20), which must be a sibling
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/PrivateActionToolButton.qml:76:5: QML Binding: Binding loop detected for property "value"
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/BasicListItem.qml:276:18: QML QQuickItem*: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/GlobalDrawer.qml:357:17: QML RowLayout (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "preferredHeight"
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)
[jojumaxx@manjaro-arm ~]$
I know about a whole bunch of issues with Discover on Manjaro (ARM), but a segmentation fault on startup is news to me.

I would recommend doing a full system update with a more reliable method (e.g., sudo pacman -Syu from the CLI, or if your Plasma Mobile is up to date (at least KWin 5.25.5 from September 2022), pamac-gtk with the pamac-mobile-integration also works), that might actually also bring Discover back to a "working" state. Of course, it will not fix the issues listed in my link above, so you are better off just using pamac-gtk or the pacman or pamac CLI.
Just to clarify: I did not update using Discover.
I flashed the image onto emmc and booted the phone. I went to discover and it directly said: "up to date". Therefore, no update was performed here.

I then run the update in the terminal by doing "sudo pacman -Syyu".
I changed some system settings then (locales, theme, etc) and that was all I did.
Another "sudo pacman -Syu" just gave me "There's nothing to do".

I flashed the same image again today and again I run the updates in the terminal by doing "sudo pacman -Syyu". I did not change any settings this time and Discover works until now. I don't know how or why.

So the system is running now, although every 2 minutes chrashes something (like the keyboard) or when I hit the power butten the whole UI crashes sometimes and can't be restored (hard reboot then). But until now, everything came back or worked after a reboot.
So I'll keep trying out...

Thanks for your answers, I'll use this information.
(02-05-2023, 06:15 AM)fxc Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 05:05 AM)jojuma Wrote: Since then, whenever I try to run Discover, it always quits after a short time of loading with the message "He's dead Jim".

Though I would recommend to do package management from command line only anyway, GUI package managers never worked great. Discover has no added value over the command line, IMO.

I have been running Debian Sid on my PCs for 10+ years and periodically I deliberately installed an upgrade which highly likely would break my system. And I have always been able to recover from that.
I have done an upgrade with Discover ONCE and it managed to trash my system beyond recovery.
So the first thing I do since after I install a (bare-bones) system, is making sure Discover will NEVER be installed.

For me, 'no added value' is the understatement of the century.
On the github Manjaro Plasma downloadpage:

Quote:Known Issues:
  • Discover seems to be crashing if using a locale other than American English.

Not sure if this helps, but wanted to mention, since I experienced this too. Now I returned to Phosh...
For me, it was a keyring issue:

sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pacman vs. Discover - again jojuma 4 1,413 05-17-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't install software via Discover or Terminal Kimberley van Buyten 2 1,490 06-10-2022, 02:13 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  Discover crashing (terminal output included). allworlds 1 1,300 05-05-2022, 06:46 AM
Last Post: allworlds
  Pacman vs. Discover jojuma 3 2,753 11-30-2021, 10:48 AM
Last Post: ryo
  Discover Error every boot pmprog 0 1,063 11-01-2021, 03:55 AM
Last Post: pmprog
  phosh 11 stops dead at login after update Rainer 2 2,320 07-22-2021, 04:36 AM
Last Post: mouffa
  Ensure Up To Date - Manjaro Plasma Discover Package Manager Sources Linux2thabone 0 1,512 05-05-2021, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Linux2thabone