is it possible to install a pinephone pro mainboard in a pinephone
i would like to know if it is possible to install a pinephone pro mainboard in a pinephone for an upgrade of the cpu, ram and storage
(01-22-2023, 01:09 PM)hannescam Wrote: i would like to know if it is possible to install a pinephone pro mainboard in a pinephone for an upgrade of the cpu, ram and storage

That is not possible, the parts are incompatible.
(01-22-2023, 01:09 PM)hannescam Wrote: i would like to know if it is possible to install a pinephone pro mainboard in a pinephone for an upgrade of the cpu, ram and storage

You will find your answer in Pinephone Pro's webpage here.

Specifically
Quote:I am a PinePhone owner – will I be able to upgrade it by installing a PinePhone Pro mainboard?

Probably not. While the PinePhone Pro’s mainboard will fit the PinePhone, the chassis, IPS display panel, cameras, the daughterboard, and thermal dissipation systems are all different. For instance, the PinePhone Pro’s cameras will not fit into the PinePhone chassis and are electrically incompatible with the PinePhone’s mainboard. Software enablement would also be required to drive the original PinePhone’s components (such as the LCD) using the PinePhone Pro’s mainboard. Thermal dissipation is another important consideration, as the higher heat output may not be trivial to overcome in the original PinePhone’s chassis.
thankyou for your answer
(01-25-2023, 04:54 PM)emsyr Wrote:

Specifically
Quote:I am a PinePhone owner – will I be able to upgrade it by installing a PinePhone Pro mainboard?

Probably not. While the PinePhone Pro’s mainboard will fit the PinePhone, the chassis, IPS display panel, cameras, the daughterboard, and thermal dissipation systems are all different. For instance, the PinePhone Pro’s cameras will not fit into the PinePhone chassis and are electrically incompatible with the PinePhone’s mainboard. Software enablement would also be required to drive the original PinePhone’s components (such as the LCD) using the PinePhone Pro’s mainboard. Thermal dissipation is another important consideration, as the higher heat output may not be trivial to overcome in the original PinePhone’s chassis.

Don't the wiki state the pine phone as using the same screen as the pro?
(07-10-2023, 10:11 AM)brken Wrote: Don't the wiki state the pine phone as using the same screen as the pro?

(07-10-2023, 10:11 AM)brken Wrote: Don't the wiki state the pine phone as using the same screen as the pro?

PinePhone and PinePhone Pro using different LCD panel.
The answer is actually a 'lil bit more nuanced than "No, they're incompatible"

Someone could absolutely print an appropriately shaped phone housing with
new LCD screen drivers for the pro's board, and the correctly shaped ribbon cables.

So, yeeees? it is, but without financial incentive, it's unlikely anyone will make this happen.
(07-10-2023, 10:11 AM)brken Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 04:54 PM)emsyr Wrote:

Specifically

Don't the wiki state the pine phone as using the same screen as the pro?

The wiki does not state that, no.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone only turns on sometimes zvavybir 1 83 Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Last Post: zvavybir
  PinePhone Pro Explorer's edition Qualcomm modem recovery shifras 7 821 03-24-2024, 02:22 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Question Screen turning off and booting problems with the Pinephone Pro xnZwJR6vys9a2wm7yWE4 0 157 01-16-2024, 02:38 PM
Last Post: xnZwJR6vys9a2wm7yWE4
  Pinephone Pro LCD and Touchscreen Hobgoblin 8 3,523 01-14-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: shifras
  Recurrent problems with broken charger chip on the pinephone/pinephone pro keyboard Jite 4 1,034 11-18-2023, 07:25 AM
Last Post: crocspot
Thumbs Up Pinephone Pro + Keyboard for sale Jimmy88 1 574 09-18-2023, 04:13 AM
Last Post: Anperson222
  Pinephone pro packet injection for internal wifi chipset covar 1 704 08-13-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: fxc
  PinePhone Keyboard won't work. read_kb_reg(PPKB_SYS_CONFIG) needs what? jovval 0 453 07-09-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: jovval
Photo My PinePhone Pro does not read the micro SD card at all. tux_life 7 2,389 03-26-2023, 02:55 AM
Last Post: tux_life
  Pinephone Pro Earpiece is not working, need help silverwing 2 1,160 03-25-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: UltraBlack_