Most recent Mobian image or installer image known to work?
Hello all:

Please let me know the most recent Mobian image or Mobian installer image which you personally know works on the PP!

I'm having trouble getting a fresh install of Mobian to boot. I've used the Mobian image from 12/28 AND the Mobian installer image from that same date. I'm trying to troubleshoot where the problem lies; could it be with my install of tow-boot? The images from that date? Hardware? To isolate these effects and diagnose the problem, I'd like to use an image which is known to work. Thank you; you're really helping me out!

Some additional info:
I have reason to believe tow-boot was installed correctly: I installed the 2021/10-005 installer of tow-boot to an SD card and used the tow-boot installation GUI to flash it to the eMMC boot partition. Since then, the power on, volume up, and volume down behavior and LED lights has been consistent with tow-boot's docs, suggesting that tow-boot is functioning correctly.
I followed the instructions and didn't make any of the following obvious errors: I verified the sha256 checksums of all images. I unzipped them before dd'ing them. I flashed the right image to the right medium: Mobian image to eMMC via tow-boot's jumpdrive mode, Mobian installer image to SD card. Please do not post a link to the tow-boot or Mobian installation instructions. If you don't trust that I was following those, why bother responding at all?
The order of events is as follows: I try to boot from eMMC, and the LED stays yellow. Nothing ever displays on the screen. I try to boot from the SD card, and the LED stays cyan. Nothing ever displays on the screen. These behaviors are different if there is no SD card, or if the eMMC has been erased: Then it vibes and blinks red. So the phone is recognizing in some manner that the images are bootable in some way, it just never displays anything on the screen of the phone.
(12-30-2022, 09:28 AM)DrPlamsa Wrote: Hello all:

Please let me know the most recent Mobian image or Mobian installer image which you personally know works on the PP!

I'm having trouble getting a fresh install of Mobian to boot. I've used the Mobian image from 12/28 AND the Mobian installer image from that same date. I'm trying to troubleshoot where the problem lies; could it be with my install of tow-boot? The images from that date? Hardware? To isolate these effects and diagnose the problem, I'd like to use an image which is known to work. Thank you; you're really helping me out!

Some additional info:
I have reason to believe tow-boot was installed correctly: I installed the 2021/10-005 installer of tow-boot to an SD card and used the tow-boot installation GUI to flash it to the eMMC boot partition. Since then, the power on, volume up, and volume down behavior and LED lights has been consistent with tow-boot's docs, suggesting that tow-boot is functioning correctly.
I followed the instructions and didn't make any of the following obvious errors: I verified the sha256 checksums of all images. I unzipped them before dd'ing them. I flashed the right image to the right medium: Mobian image to eMMC via tow-boot's jumpdrive mode, Mobian installer image to SD card. Please do not post a link to the tow-boot or Mobian installation instructions. If you don't trust that I was following those, why bother responding at all?
The order of events is as follows: I try to boot from eMMC, and the LED stays yellow. Nothing ever displays on the screen. I try to boot from the SD card, and the LED stays cyan. Nothing ever displays on the screen. These behaviors are different if there is no SD card, or if the eMMC has been erased: Then it vibes and blinks red. So the phone is recognizing in some manner that the images are bootable in some way, it just never displays anything on the screen of the phone.

It's been a while since I did a fresh install, but I had no problems with mobian-pinephone-phosh-20221009.img, and the 2021/10-005 installer.
i did installions recently and mobian-pinephone-phosh-20221218.img worked, but mobian-pinephone-phosh-20221225.img did not work. (i don't know about newer images though).

i need to point out one big difference. because of reasons i used u-boot. and i used certain hack to install u-boot into sdcard. reason is because i want bootable sdcard. hack basically is to extract uboot from postmarketos image and flash it into correct place.
Hello,
I have a pinephone with Tow-Boot installed and i tried to run from latest weekly mobian versions on eMMC. From 25 Dec 2022, 28 Dec 2022 and 01 Jan 2023 cannot boot! I think I'll try with older ones. Latest PostmarketOS works!
Yes, mobian-pinephone-phosh-20221218.img worked with Tow-Boot!
I had the same problem than zetabeta even without tinkering too much things, I used the last weekly installer released on November 2022 because the one released December 25th 2022 wasn't working (missing boot configuration?).
i think i recently used mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20230108.img
to make a blank install

i have encountered broken images as well

i put it in boot from sd with tow boot (up volumn +power if i recall)
but i needed to format/erase the internal memory before it would boot the installer

i don't think i had to erase the internal with the non-installer version though
(01-04-2023, 11:04 AM)ganch Wrote: Yes, mobian-pinephone-phosh-20221218.img worked with Tow-Boot!
I can confirm this also for the installer version (mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20221218.img) - Thanks! Smile
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
The very last (of January 2023) weekly image seems to work. I used it to resurrect my first Pinephone.
And the 20230205 is also OK.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  wwan0 (SIM interface) doesn't work with OpenVPN nickolas 6 1,978 09-05-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  Chatty does not work after suspend mode user641 4 1,784 07-18-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
Last Post: vusra
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton