PineBook Pro shuts down immediately after booting
Exclamation 
I'm not a heavy user of my PineBook Pro, but I turned it on today and it boots, displays a login screen, and then turns itself off within a minute.

The battery should be full, although the machine doesn't stay up long enough to actually log in and check things.

Any ideas on (a) what went wrong, and (b) how to recover?

Thanks,
Eric
What Linux distribution and bootloader are you using?
Is the main installation running from the sdcard/eMMC/NVMe?
Is the device actually shutting down or going into sleep/suspend mode?
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
(12-28-2022, 03:02 PM)dachalife Wrote: What Linux distribution and bootloader are you using? 
Is the main installation running from the sdcard/eMMC/NVMe?
Is the device actually shutting down or going into sleep/suspend mode?

I'm running Manjaro Linux, using the (I assume) standard bootloader, running from eMMC.

I'm pretty sure it's shutting down, as, if I can log in within a minute, the PBP displays something on the order of "shutting down now".   If I don't log in quickly enough, the power LED turns off entirely.

One thought that I've had is that the battery might be failing; my PBP is fairly old.
Mine also shuts down when I'm drawing too much power (extra drive)/low battery; normal.

No issues when the power adapter is connected? As soon as I plug in it's fine.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
I wonder if you can get to the point where you can get Manjaru to tell you what the battery voltage is. Also, in Manjaru, can't you escape the normal multiuser boot with F2? If so, you might get more time to work, and might even not get an automatic shutdown.

I wonder if your charger has stopped working. Sometimes to get a low battery to accept a charge, you must charge it with a USB-C cable.

Beyond that, I hate to suggest it, but it might be worthwhile for troubleshooting to use the bypass cables. Do take care if you do.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Mine developed exactly the same symptoms. I noticed the red LED going blinky, which the documentation says indicates battery overheating. The obvious solution to that is a battery replacement, but finding one in Canada becomes the next problem.
The shop lists them, but only for the US.
Searching on WTL2020070000001 turns up some 800mAh units with different alpha prefixes than WTL.
How can I tell if they are compatible?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,901 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 166 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,218 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,118 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt