Which OS works as of December 2022
Hello,

got my hands on a Pinetab lately. Since UT is hardly usable I want to flash another OS.

I read through the threads here and since most of the relvant posts are quite old I like to ask what OS works as of the end of 2022?

Any news about tow boot?

Thanks in advance!
(12-21-2022, 04:20 PM)jojuma Wrote: Hello,

got my hands on a Pinetab lately. Since UT is hardly usable I want to flash another OS.

I read through the threads here and since most of the relvant posts are quite old I like to ask what OS works as of the end of 2022?

Any news about tow boot?

Thanks in advance!

I'm using Mobian on my PineTab. It works.
(12-22-2022, 08:35 AM)johns Wrote:

Any news about tow boot?

Thanks in advance!

What about tow boot? Did you install it without issues?

Does the touchpad work properly?

Did you try other distros, too? In a Youtube video a guy said that Arch with Phosh would perform better than Mobian.

I rather rely on info given here, so I'll go with Mobian first and try it these days.

Thank you
(12-22-2022, 04:07 PM)jojum Wrote: I rather rely on info given here, so I'll go with Mobian first and try it these days.

Please report back your results.  I have pre-tow boot Mobian installed and it no longer works.  The announcement of PineTab 2 revived my interest in getting my PineTab working again.
Since there's no dedicated tow-boot image for the pinetab, I tried to flash those for pinephone and pinebook (not pro) due to similar architecture.
But the pinetab won't boot either of these images, so no luck with tow-boot.

I downloaded the latest mobian image before tow-boot. When I try to flash that, I shortly see the mobian logo before the screen turns black and nothing happens any more.

Any suggestions what OS I could flash or what I might have done wrong concerning mobian?

I have flashed several pinephones with different OSes, with and without tow-boot. Generally that's a pretty straight forward process. The pinetab seems to be different...
(12-22-2022, 04:07 PM)jojuma Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 08:35 AM)johns Wrote:

Any news about tow boot?

Thanks in advance!

What about tow boot? Did you install it without issues?

Does the touchpad work properly?

Did you try other distros, too? In a Youtube video a guy said that Arch with Phosh would perform better than Mobian.

I rather rely on info given here, so I'll go with Mobian first and try it these days.

Thank you

AFAIK, there is no Tow Boot for PineTab yet (https://tow-boot.org/devices/index.html).

I have not used the touchpad for a long time, but it did work last I tried in Mobian. I have not tried any other distros, so can't say if Arch would perform better. I do have some performance issues with Mobian which have recently appeared -- trouble running Firefox and Evolution at the same time after a while. This wasn't a problem in the past, so I'm hoping it's a temporary regression. On the other hand, the device does only have 2GB of RAM...
I successfully installed postmarketOS now and I'm absolutely happy until now.
Everything works smoothly. I am writing this answer right now with the Pinetab.

About Mobian:
I was able to flash the latest version before tow boot came up. The tablet booted fine. I then run updates and after that, the Pinetab wouldn't reboot. I tried all that twice, but after the installation of updates it didn't come up again. I just heard some buzzing noises and hoped the device is ok and nothing burned up.

After that I chose postmarketOS for two reasons: First, they offer a current build without the need for tow boot and second, I'm running pmOS on my Pinephone, too.
After the first update it booted normally again.
I hope, I found my final solution since I don't want to mess around so much again. Pinephones were way easier but I know, not many Pinetabs have been sold so there's way less information and experience.

Thanks for your help
(12-24-2022, 05:31 PM)jojuma Wrote: I successfully installed postmarketOS now and I'm absolutely happy until now.
Everything works smoothly. I am writing this answer right now with the Pinetab.

Thanks for the update, I'll give postmarketOS a try.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTab Mobian Upgrade issue - Pin no longer works thomzane 3 4,026 04-30-2021, 06:52 AM
Last Post: thomzane