Endeavour OS on Pbpro
Does anyone have instructions on how to install the latest Endeavour OS Cassini on the Pbpro. It looks like it's officially supported now.
(12-20-2022, 09:14 AM)rfm83 Wrote: Does anyone have instructions on how to install the latest Endeavour OS Cassini on the Pbpro. It looks like it's officially supported now.

good place for start ..

https://arm.endeavouros.com/latest-relea...-download/ "

" https://endeavouros.com/latest-release/ "
(12-20-2022, 10:02 AM)shjim Wrote:
(12-20-2022, 09:14 AM)rfm83 Wrote: Does anyone have instructions on how to install the latest Endeavour OS Cassini on the Pbpro. It looks like it's officially supported now.

good place for start ..

https://arm.endeavouros.com/latest-relea...-download/ "

" https://endeavouros.com/latest-release/ "

Is the tarball "enosLinuxARM-pbp-latest.tar.zst" good to dd directly to the emmc and boot from there to install?
I tried the script method "./image-install-calamares.sh" on a SD card running from Manjaro on emmc on the pinebook pro itself. The script apparently worked successfully and partitioned the SD card correctly but the pbpro doesn't boot from the SD card. It still keeps booting from the emmc. It appears there's no bootloader on the SD card. Is there any other step required after that?
You misunderstand how ARM boots, and specifically rk3399
Baked in silicon, in cpu ROM is search order for uboot (really idbloader)
Then uboot ALTERS search order for config files, in specific locations
(ie, in all partitions, in search order,,, /boot/boot.scr,,, /boot.scr.... and other config files)
2 locations because nothing is mounted, uboot does not know if it is a 1 or 2 partition install
So.... you have a bad uboot that does not boot from uSD, which should be 1st in uboot search order
Put some other uboot on emmc or disable it (emmc) OR
maybe the script did not make a bootable SD
If there is a uboot it will be in 1st 16M, so 1st partition starts 32768 sectors so there is room for uboot
----
If this is a recent stock manjaro, it is almost certain it is a defective uboot that fails to boot ANY sd
(12-23-2022, 04:46 PM)wdt Wrote: You misunderstand how ARM boots, and specifically rk3399
Baked in silicon, in cpu ROM is search order for uboot (really idbloader)
Then uboot ALTERS search order for config files, in specific locations
(ie, in all partitions, in search order,,, /boot/boot.scr,,, /boot.scr.... and other config files)
2 locations because nothing is mounted, uboot does not know if it is a 1 or 2 partition install
So.... you have a bad uboot that does not boot from uSD, which should be 1st in uboot search order
Put some other uboot on emmc or disable it (emmc)  OR
maybe the script did not make a bootable SD
If there is a uboot it will be in 1st 16M, so 1st partition starts 32768 sectors so there is room for uboot
----
If this is a recent stock manjaro, it is almost certain it is a defective uboot that fails to boot ANY sd

I have no issues booting from either emmc or SD card when I flash them with Manjaro, Arch or TwisterOS. So usually I just dd the .img to either emmc or SD card. These images work fine. However now, I'd like to try EndeavourOS on emmc specifically, since it's now officially supported.
If anyone has successfully flashed EndeavourOS to emmc please let me know the procedure because the instructions on their website are not working.
OK, is there an extlinux/extlinux.conf or a boot.scr/boot.txt
are the contents right? especially the paths?
is there an initrd and if you examine the contents does it seem to be right?
and it is worth looking at the dtb,
this is something that can be swapped for a different one (but same hardware & close to same kernel ver)
----
BTW, the paths are all relative to the config file, mounting happens in initrd
(12-23-2022, 06:47 PM)wdt Wrote: OK, is there an extlinux/extlinux.conf or a boot.scr/boot.txt
this is something that can be swapped for a different one (but same hardware & close to same kernel ver)
----
BTW, the paths are all relative to the config file, mounting happens in inityes 

The script was actually failing due to a missing package (pv). After scrolling up the terminal I could see that things were failing. Now I am able to boot from the SD card. However, the calamares installer is not responsive. Buttons don't work so I'm not able to proceed. Sometimes it even boots into a black screen.
I get the error "root account locked, cannot access console". Seems that we have to wait some days until it's fixed. I already started a discussion on their forum, let's see...

Gesendet von meinem RMX3085 mit Tapatalk
(12-23-2022, 08:47 PM)rfm83 Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 06:47 PM)wdt Wrote: OK, is there an extlinux/extlinux.conf or a boot.scr/boot.txt
----
BTW, the paths are all relative to the config file, mounting happens in inityes 

The script was actually failing due to a missing package (pv). After scrolling up the terminal I could see that things were failing. Now I am able to boot from the SD card. However, the calamares installer is not responsive. Buttons don't work so I'm not able to proceed. Sometimes it even boots into a black screen.

I was working on this last night and encountered the same issue with an unresponsive calamares installer. I stumbled across a goofy workaround by dumb luck and thought I'd share. The following steps worked for me when installing to an SD card or the emmc. Note that I have tow-boot installed on SPI.

Boot into the calamares environment that's mostly unresponsive. From here the only thing that actually worked was the Network utility in the tray. Be sure to set up your wifi connection here before proceeding further.
Switch to a new tty session(Ctrl+Alt+F2/F3/etc)
From the console there, just run 'startx'
At this point it booted a new graphical session where calamares/terminal/file manager all worked as they should.
Install as you like and just follow instructions.

FWIW, I was using the latest pbp image from their test-images/releases on github, and just writing that to sd or emmc with either dd or a tool like gnome-disks. With that method, once booted, the calamares install just sets up the installation wherever you've written the image and booted it from.

I hope that's useful. I can't speak for any other errors people are encountering.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pbpro is sluggish flatulent_piney 3 3,358 02-15-2021, 11:04 AM
Last Post: User 17828
  power light blinking during charge when pbpro is off Idaho 0 1,758 01-04-2021, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Idaho