Device Unable To Read MicroSD Card
nah, nothings working. I finally put the card in my other linux device and ran both the commands here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_I..._from_eMMC before flashing the Jump drive image.
Still, It totally ignores the card.

I guess my last option here is to buy a new MicroSD card. Since two, somehow, have already been ruined it seems like I'm wasting money on what was supposed to be an inexpensive device. ... but I don't know what good that would be because my other devices recognize the card. THe only reason I think it has something to do with the card is because when I look at the data sectors in BOOTICE a strange comment shows up in the ASCII field "...$..Invalid partition table.Error loading operating system.Missing operating system...c{....." When I flash JumpDrive to the card that comment is gone and the card looks ok, but very small. When I reformat it to remove bootice (or any other image) that comment is back, and I can only get the card to show 29.5GB from it's 32GB capacity. There's something stuck in the front that I can't remove.
(12-10-2022, 08:57 AM)_radv_ Wrote: nah, nothings working.  I finally put the card in my other linux device and ran both the commands here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_I..._from_eMMC before flashing the Jump drive image. 
Still, It totally ignores the card.

I guess my last option here is to buy a new MicroSD card.  Since two, somehow, have already been ruined it seems like I'm wasting money on what was supposed to be an inexpensive device. ... but I don't know what good that would be because my other devices recognize the card.  THe only reason I think it has something to do with the card is because when I look at the data sectors in BOOTICE a strange comment shows up in the ASCII field "...$..Invalid partition table.Error loading operating system.Missing operating system...c{....."  When I flash JumpDrive to the card that comment is gone and the card looks ok, but very small.  When I reformat it to remove bootice (or any other image) that comment is back, and I can only get the card to show 29.5GB from it's 32GB capacity.  There's something stuck in the front that I can't remove.

What is the exact command or tool you used to flash Jumpdrive?
I used balenaEtcher.
I used sudo dd if=JumpDrive_pine64-pinephone.img of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M.
(12-11-2022, 12:01 PM)_radv_ Wrote: I used balenaEtcher.

That looks fine. Mind that microSD card reader devices on the PC usually are not named "mmcblk1".

And another question: the small button underneath the back cover on top of the modem says "RESET", right?
(12-15-2022, 11:06 AM)fxc Wrote:

That looks fine. Mind that microSD card reader devices on the PC usually are not named "mmcblk1".

And another question: the small button underneath the back cover on top of the modem says "RESET", right?

right
(12-15-2022, 01:07 PM)_radv_ Wrote:

right

Would suggest that you open a ticket under https://support.pine64.org. You can mention in the ticket that you did debugging with a forum mod and that it is very likely an hardware issue.
(12-16-2022, 02:59 PM)fxc Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 01:07 PM)_radv_ Wrote:

right

Would suggest that you open a ticket under https://support.pine64.org. You can mention in the ticket that you did debugging with a forum mod and that it is very likely an hardware issue.

I'll add that to the long conversation I've already had with them.  Thanks.
I got a new microSD card. I flashed JumpDrive to it, just as I did the new microSD card I got a few weeks ago. This time the Pine Phone booted Jumpdrive from the card, and I was able to able to get archlinux-pinephone-phosh-20220729.img running from the eMMC . So, that's nice, now I can turn on and use the phone. ...still not sure about the problem with the other two microSD cards and/or the reader. I'd like to figure it out.
I can't say, yet, that the microSD card reader works properly, nor what has caused the problem.
(12-20-2022, 11:30 AM)_radv_ Wrote: I got a new microSD card.  I flashed JumpDrive to it, just as I did the new microSD card I got a few weeks ago.  This time the Pine Phone booted Jumpdrive from the card, and I was able to able to get archlinux-pinephone-phosh-20220729.img running from the eMMC .  So, that's nice, now I can turn on and use the phone. ...still not sure about the problem with the other two microSD cards and/or the reader.  I'd like to figure it out.
I can't say, yet, that the microSD card reader works properly, nor what has caused the problem.

MicroSD cards can break occasionally, they only last a limited amount of writes. Had some break for me the first time I used them.

You can put Tow-Boot on the eMMC,it will make it easier to reflash the eMMC in case of faults and it shouldn't be touched by the OS itself.
I have yet to find a solution

The device almost never recognizes a MicroSD card. On the very very rare case it does work (far below 5% to the times it should) I am surprised and cannot replicate the situation.

It seems as if I cannot use the MicroSD card slot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  install iso from sd card to emmc aular 2 171 03-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  How To Share The External MicroSD Folders and Files On A Network? pinephoneuser22 5 1,416 02-10-2024, 08:47 AM
Last Post: jakfish
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  SD Card has wrong capacity AndyM 11 2,127 06-11-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: AndyM
  rough estimate of expected microSD installation life? andrewp907 7 3,421 06-10-2023, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  SIM Card Slot Terror thismarty 4 1,364 12-21-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: thismarty
  MicroSD Card Reuse _radv_ 5 1,871 12-12-2022, 12:26 PM
Last Post: chainingsolid
  TF = MicroSD? _radv_ 1 805 12-09-2022, 09:08 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pine Phone Doesn't Recognize New MicroSD Card _radv_ 3 1,307 11-23-2022, 05:19 AM
Last Post: _radv_