Most stable Pinephone OS
(11-29-2022, 12:52 PM)karcdaeh Wrote:
(11-28-2022, 05:19 PM)Chief Wrote: Arch Linux Phosh is a good choice. Most things work and modem and sound reasonably well.
That stated I still use a Blackberry for calls (important).

I didn't try arch because it's relatively close to manjaro and i've had many problems the manjaro OS. That said,  manjaro does not equal arch so i will give it a try. I  use arch as my main OS on my desktop server. 

Fingers crossed. Unfortunately I moved to colombia recently and i don't think there is a recommended provider to use here with the pinephone. There are only two main providers here though and i have sim cards for both in my two burner phones.

Yeah people will experience different results at times from the distro source. I have installed manjaro in the past and it was good. I then later tried another up to date install and it wiped out. I tend to attribute this to bad updates, bad download and that's where region may play a role(?)
I have Manjaro Phosh on one PP and it works near perfectly. I have Arch Phosh on my other PP and it is a main device. I noted that Zeb Walton stated Megapixels crashed on him and this is my point ... Megapixels has never crashed on Arch Phosh - for me. Different results from time to time.
In the next few minutes I will flash Postmarket Plasma to my second PP that at present runs perfect on Manjaro.
Headache #2 comin' up I guess - lol.
Good luck.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTED: Arch Plasma, Arch Phosh , Manjaro Phosh, Manjaro Plasma
Fedora, Mobian, Postmarket Plasma, Postmarket Phosh, Kali, SXMO.
(11-29-2022, 12:54 PM)karcdaeh Wrote: karcdaehArch Linux with Phosh - @Danct12 does a great job!

Everything works: SMS, MMS, Camera, GPS, calling, contacts, calendar, g00gle email, synchthing...

Don't all these things (normally) work with Mobian as well?

On my phone I don't experience Mobian issues described in this thread -- the volume buttons do work and ending the sleep mode with the power button is not a problem.

That said, I checked this thread because I don't find Mobian suitable as a (faulty, unreliable and sometimes annoying, but somehow lovable) daily driver anymore after Geary disappeared and (till reinstalled) important applications like Settings, Contacts or Calendar disappeared from my phone as well.

Given the previous posts, it all seems to boil down to Mobian or Arch. Is Arch so much better, functional and reliable than Mobian that it's worth the effort of switching?
(12-03-2022, 11:40 AM)Anna Wrote: Given the previous posts, it all seems to boil down to Mobian or Arch. Is Arch so much better, functional and reliable than Mobian that it's worth the effort of switching?

I've found that Mobian has worked well for the most part but recent updates have been causing problems with audio during calls. Apparently the move from pulseaudio to pipewire still has some rough edges. I'm currently running on a backup SD card loaded up with Arch because the latest round of Mobian updates completely knocked out audio during calls. However I have not used Arch long enough to know whether it also will develop problems with updates. (Being very familiar with Debian, I do plan to stick with Mobian long-term. Hopefully the audio problems will be worked out in the near future.)
(11-29-2022, 08:53 AM)mikehenson Wrote:
(11-28-2022, 11:50 AM)karcdaeh Wrote: Is there any OS that is actually working and stable? I am going down the list installing every OS but there's always a problem to be found, some more than others but none of them work enough to make the device live up to it's name - the Pine "Phone".

If anyone has had any luck with an OS please let me know. I have installed more than half the available OS's and am on the precipice of giving up.

Thanks.

Arch Linux with Phosh - @Danct12 does a great job!

Everything works: SMS, MMS, Camera, GPS, calling, contacts, calendar, g00gle email, synchthing... 

I have not tried any other OS. I have used Arch for many years on my desktop and laptop.

ok thanks for everyones suggestions. i was able to send an sms and make a call from my pinephone now running arch posh to one of my burners on the colombian network Claro.

my side buttons are still not working though but this could be my error. when i bought the phone i broke the sim card slot and had to send in the board to be fixed. the pinephone team were very accomodating and got it back to me in less than two weeks ( i told them i was moving to colombia ). it's possible that i may have somehow damaged them when putting the phone back together but i don't think that's what is causing the issue since the phone was engineered extremely well.

The arch installation was a breeze. The easiest OS to install so far using jumpdrive and flashing the latest arch posh release.

was there any firmware releases i may have missed? i've not looked at any of them and have been using the phone as it was sent to me. The phone will only wake or power up by plugging and then unplugging it to a usb port.
One additional note that I have come to realise is very important;
Once you have obtained mainly what you are looking for in the device - don't update it.
If it works - leave as is.
Should you decide to update, copy the .img of the device to your computer first.
Then update and if the update detsroys your o.s. you can reflash the original .img from your computer HD to device
and this way the situation is 100% recoverable.
My PP with Arch Phosh works near perfectly reliably every day and that's because I leave it alone and it doesn't fail me.
Enjoy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(12-04-2022, 05:19 PM)Chief Wrote: One additional note that I have come to realise is very important;
Once you have obtained mainly what you are looking for in the device - don't update it.
Should you decide to update, copy the .img of the device to your computer first.

That's for sure. Updates to Mobian last week left me without audio on calls. If updates this week don't fix it I'll revert to a working backup image. (As of the weekend's updates it's still not working.) Once the audio problem is fixed I'll be avoiding future updates. (Temporarily I'm booting off a working SD card.)
(12-05-2022, 07:07 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(12-04-2022, 05:19 PM)Chief Wrote: One additional note that I have come to realise is very important;

That's for sure. Updates to Mobian last week left me without audio on calls. If updates this week don't fix it I'll revert to a working backup image. (As of the weekend's updates it's still not working.) Once the audio problem is fixed I'll be avoiding future updates. (Temporarily I'm booting off a working SD card.)
I just updated my Arch Linux Phosh as I was looking for a certain update. First as you know I backed everything up and then did update. All is working well and I wont touch anything update until a situation arises where I need something updated.
At present I am working on my other phone with Arch Plasma. Still plenty of work required there and I update that all the time. That phone is not critical but my Arch Phosh phone does have critical info on it so I must protect that.
Good luck Zeb with getting the calls back audio.
(12-05-2022, 03:49 PM)Chief Wrote: I just updated my Arch Linux Phosh as I was looking for a certain update. First as you know I backed everything up and then did update. All is working well and I wont touch anything update until a situation arises where I need something updated.
At present I am working on my other phone with Arch Plasma. Still plenty of work required there and I update that all the time. That phone is not critical but my Arch Phosh phone does have critical info on it so I must protect that.

I have Arch on the SD card that I'm using. It basically works so I'm not going to update it. The only issues I noticed is that as with Mobian, bluetooth audio doesn't work and if I use a wired headset, that has to be plugged in after dialing the call. (The microphone does not work if you plug the headset in first.)

I think having a "known to work" SD card as a backup, as well as an image backup of the eMMC, is a must if using the Pinephone as a daily driver as I've been doing for about a year and a half now. It's only recent Mobian updates that I've found to be really problematical. Hopefully I'll get lucky with the call audio problem with upcoming updates but if not I have a working image backup at the ready.
(12-05-2022, 05:19 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(12-05-2022, 03:49 PM)Chief Wrote: I just updated my Arch Linux Phosh as I was looking for a certain update. First as you know I backed everything up and then did update. All is working well and I wont touch anything update until a situation arises where I need something updated.

I have Arch on the SD card that I'm using. It basically works so I'm not going to update it. The only issues I noticed is that as with Mobian, bluetooth audio doesn't work and if I use a wired headset, that has to be plugged in after dialing the call. (The microphone does not work if you plug the headset in first.)

I think having a "known to work" SD card as a backup, as well as an image backup of the eMMC, is a must if using the Pinephone as a daily driver as I've been doing for about a year and a half now. It's only recent Mobian updates that I've found to be really problematical. Hopefully I'll get lucky with the call audio problem with upcoming updates but if not I have a working image backup at the ready.

The basic reason I think the audio doesn't work right is because the o.s. takes priority and not the call app.
This is why I suggested to Pine64 to separate the call app from ANY o.s. so the phone works separately.
This way the phone could always work regardless of o.s. installed. Until this is done I suspect that phone calls
will always be hit and miss.
I prefer Manjaro Plasma Mobile, but I would not say his is very very stable.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 298 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,051 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,519 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 458 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,936 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 380 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,475 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,595 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,663 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma