Open Source or not.
I've purchased a PinePhone Pro Explorer recently. 
Several places scattered across the web are discussing if the phone is really open source.
What I'm looking for is some clarity as to the claim of "Open Source" to my device.
You'll get better answers in the correct place. This forum is for the Pinebook Pro.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(11-09-2022, 04:12 PM)Icarus Wrote: I've purchased a PinePhone Pro Explorer recently. 
Several places scattered across the web are discussing if the phone is really open source.
What I'm looking for is some clarity as to the claim of "Open Source" to my device.

It's a very broad question, it depends on which firmware you're using on the modem, what OS you're using...it may vary depending on many factors. For example mobain has a very strong philosophy towards foss, ubuntu is less strict about that. The modem firmware from biktorgj is open source(with a few blobs), the original from quectel is not.
(11-11-2022, 07:10 AM)user641 Wrote:
(11-09-2022, 04:12 PM)Icarus Wrote: I've purchased a PinePhone Pro Explorer recently. 

It's a very broad question, it depends on which firmware you're using on the modem, what OS you're using...it may vary depending on many factors. For example mobain has a very strong philosophy towards foss, ubuntu is less strict about that. The modem firmware from biktorgj is open source(with a few blobs), the original from quectel is not.

Thanks. That will give me a direction on which way to deal with the security I'm after.

(11-10-2022, 11:36 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: You'll get better answers in the correct place.  This forum is for the Pinebook Pro.

I see that now. I'll go to the correct place. Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Terminal won't open (neither will Settings) The_PC_Doc 1 1,135 02-01-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: fxc